2018-05-20 14:19:55

Hi,
so, I wanted to play some entombed again. I'm using a windows 7 64 bit system, and I know I had the game working on this system before. I got the 105B version of the game and installed it, the required sql-files are also installed. But every time I start the game, I get the windows message that the program stopped working and I have to close it.
So, can anyone help me get the game working again? I don't know why it won't run anymore, as I said it already ran on this machine. I think it stopped working after the game became free, but I don't know if this has to do anything with it.
Thanks for helping
Tikki

2018-05-20 22:26:58

I wasn't aware this version existed.
as far as I know the latest version is 1.02K.

I just booted that one up a few minutes ago, and it worked fine for me.
Maybe you should go back to that version?
Also, could you tell me where to get this new version, and the requirements for it; you mentioned some sql files, and I'll see if it works on my system.

Later!

2018-05-20 22:42:14

1.02k? Although Driftwood's web site says  it is 1.02i, once you install or update it, it says it is 1.02j.

For those that want it, here is 1.05b:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/t8wqlh

Since it was never officially released, I consider the "b" to mean that it is a beta, so don't expect it to be bug free.

2018-05-20 22:48:11

Hi,
yeah, 1.05B is a beta, but it has a few bugs in the previous official version fixed and works fine, when I get it to run, that is. Lol.
You need SQL 3.5 to run this version, which you can get from the official microsoft site for free. I do have it installed, but still the game won't run for me although it did before. Weird, that is. Sigh.

2018-05-21 02:24:56

Okay, I got mine to work.
From the install.txt file that came with sql 3.5 service pack 2.
To ensure proper functionality of all the applications that are dependent on SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 on
the Computer install SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 as given below:

Installing SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 on a 32-bit Computer (x86):
1. Install the 32-bit version of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 by running the SSCERuntime-ENU-x86.msi

Installing SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 on a 64-bit computer (x64 or AMD64):
1. Install the 32-bit version of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 by running the SSCERuntime-ENU-x86.msi
2. Than install the 64-bit version of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 by running the SSCERuntime-ENU-x64.msi

For more information visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974247.
I followed those instructions and the game works fine, say for removing all my save files...
Later!

2018-05-21 03:29:33

Do you have links to those files? I looked on Microsoft's site and the install file for SP2 doesn't have the x86 in its name, while the install file for SP1 does.

Also, I found that depending on which one of two download links you follow, you might get an EXE or a MSI file. Strange.

2018-05-21 11:56:57

Here's the link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa … px?id=5783
It doesn't say wich one because it's an encrypted extracter that installs the installers on your pc.
Basically your run it and install it somewhere, and then you have the installers.
Now this is important.
You'll get two files, an x-86 and an x-64.
If you only have a 32-bit Pc; x-86, just run that file and you're golden.
If you have a 64-bit pc, you must first run the x-86 file, then the x-64 file.
Doing this out of order or not installing one of them at all will cause all applications that require the sql database to fail.
Hope that helps.
Later!

2018-05-21 13:46:55

Thank you, sir! You're a gentleman and a scholar! big_smile

2018-05-21 15:23:56

Hi,
well, I just looked again and I do have these sql-files propperly installed on my system. But still the game won't work for me. I really don't get it. Any furter help from anyone would be great, if at all possible.
Thanks
Tikki

2018-05-21 16:12:28

Have you tried installing the version 1.02j from Driftwood's web site to see if that works? While 1.05b may have fixed some bugs in 1.02j, it is still a beta.

2018-05-21 23:04:59

Hi,
well, I now tried version 1.02K. It also won't work, but at least this version gives an error message. No idea if this helps, but here it is:
Version:  1.02K
Jobs:  |
Source: Microsoft.Xna.Framework
TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String, System.String, Int32)
Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
Stack:    bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.Song..ctor(String name, String filename, Int32 duration)
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.SongReader.Read(ContentReader input, Song existingInstance)
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]()
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   bei AudioGame1.GameMusic..ctor(ContentManager content, String loadString)
   bei AudioGame1.Game1.Initialize()
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
   bei AudioGame1.Program.Main(String[] args)

No idea what is wrong here, any help would be great, as always. smile

2018-05-21 23:42:24

Microsoft .XNA framework is another development environment or something like that, similar to .NET but mostly used for developing Xbox and Zune applications. You might need to reinstall that framework on your system.

I'f heard of the .XNA framework but don't know all that much about it so this is largely an educated guess.

I hope it helps you in some way.

2018-05-24 02:51:23 (edited by blindncool 2018-05-24 02:59:14)

The sendspace link is not working, can someone re-upload it or upload it to dropbox?
Edit: You can get the beta version here.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2018-05-24 06:08:19

Hi,
yeah, my installation of XNA framework was broken for some reason. I reinstalled it and now at least version 1.02K works for me.

2018-05-24 13:51:58

Which Sendspace link are you referring to, I just tested it and the link I posted in message #3 works.

Alternatively, the website link below any of my messages will show you a list of all the files I am sharing, you could try downloading from there.

2018-05-26 04:52:17

That was the one. For some reason the download wouldn't start on my machine.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2018-05-26 13:49:16

I don't know what to say, knowing that you probably don't have a paid Sendspace account, I logged out, then deleted their cookie, so I would appear as a member, then tested that link, and it worked fine from here.