2018-05-21 06:59:56

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows of one of these?
I'm fairly comfortable with creating and managing a repository, but where I get confused is checkout, checkout vs clone, branches ETC. I've done some research but while I'm not too bad with actual programming, this confuses me for some reason.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-05-21 13:50:25

Step one: Be a raving moron.
Step 2: Convert to British.
Step 3: Congratulations, you are now a git.
This concludes the Git tutorial, remember to like and share, and hit that subscribe button for more great content!
Leave a comment below  and tell us what the next tutorial should be about.

2018-05-21 13:52:42

github should have one, but you can either try here

Paul

2018-05-21 14:08:55

Defender, if there was a -10 thumbs down button, I'd be using it. big_smile
pauliyobo, thanks for the link, I'll check it out! I am honestly baffled as to why I am so confused by this.

2018-05-22 00:24:08

Don't be, the man pages aren't usually made to learn something like the git workflow. To be honest, my git journey started by searching google, for nearly everything. Luckily we weren't the only ones confused, I'll be surprised if you can't find an answer on google/stackoverflow. Take those commands, figure out how they work. If you learn best by example, create a dummy repository and test/break things.

Defender, you beet me to it. I'll content myself by calling you a barmy, beastly , bloody prat!

2018-05-22 04:47:27

Lol I may have to do that. Some things I can learn from tutorials and such, but this does not seem to be one of them.
I admit it, I am the biggest of gits. No kind bone in my body, a barmy git is what I aspire to be in life, and I think I am nearly there!

2018-05-22 06:24:48

@5 LOL, I was searching literally everything because I had to use a repo on bitbucket and I didn't know how it was working at the time.

Paul

2018-05-22 07:28:12

I still half don't.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-29 13:04:59

@9
The hell does any of that have to do with this issue?

2018-05-30 20:48:58

Not sure if I want to be a git... rofl... but I learned Git by practice. I've mostly referenced the manpages when I need help with something but learning git has been a slow process. I know enough though. I think. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-03 02:35:05 (edited by defender 2018-06-03 02:35:30)

Yeah but clearly that's already been tried without any good results, by multiple people.
Just because one thing might be easy to Google doesn't mean something else will be... That's just common sense.

2018-06-03 04:27:52

@13, its so easy to find stuff about Git on google, dude. Lay off. You look for something like "git - undo commit before push" ad you find https://sethrobertson.github.io/GitFixUm, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/161 … ot-pushed, https://bytefreaks.net/programming-2/ho … ot-pushed, and other such results. Prefix your query with program/language_name - <query> and you're bound to find something closely related to it, if not an exact match.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-03 14:50:21

You have an interesting definition of "easy".

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-06-03 16:02:27 (edited by defender 2018-06-03 16:03:23)

@14
You said your self in post 11 that it had taken you all this time to learn it though, and that you weren't even done.
Plus you said you were referencing Github's manual not just forums from google searches right?
I guess I just don't really see the parallel between what he's doing in post 9 and this issue... And clearly the OP isn't the only one having issues with this. I think we're all pretty good at using Google hear right? So I don't think it's that...
Just came off as dismissive and self important.

2018-06-04 09:02:26

@defender, yes, I'm not done. I don't plan to be done. The issue with being "done" with a tool like git is that there are just so many commands, options and such that its impossible to remember everything. So yes, I do use google to find solutions to most of my git-related issues. I use the manpages for command reference if I want to pass special arguments to a command, for example.

My Github

2018-06-04 12:20:43 (edited by defender 2018-06-04 12:21:18)

Nods but it didn't take you 10 minutes did it, which I'm sure is an overstatement on his part anyway.
Doesn't running a Linux server have even more commands and options?
You don't have to use them all just to get it running of course, but in that respect, you might even say that, based on how people are talking about it, Git actually has a bigger learning curve up front, just for doing the essentials.
Especially with a VPS making things allot easier with good instructions and lots of things already set up.
It's just an unfair comparison that makes no sense.

2018-06-04 18:25:23

@16, your right, it does. The major difference between the two is that commands on a Linux server are both about Linux and about other things. The commands in the Git command line (git <command>) are all about git. While that may sound appeasing, it really isn't. Below is the full command list as of git version 2.16.1.windows.4:

> git help -a
usage: git [--version] [--help] [-C <path>] [-c name=value]
           [--exec-path[=<path>]] [--html-path] [--man-path] [--info-path]
           [-p | --paginate | --no-pager] [--no-replace-objects] [--bare]
           [--git-dir=<path>] [--work-tree=<path>] [--namespace=<name>]
           <command> [<args>]

available git commands in 'C:\Git\mingw64/libexec/git-core'

add                     gc                      receive-pack
  add--interactive        get-tar-commit-id       reflog
  am                      grep                    remote
  annotate                gui                     remote-ext
  apply                   gui--askpass            remote-fd
  archimport              gui--askyesno           remote-ftp
  archive                 gui.tcl                 remote-ftps
  askpass                 hash-object             remote-http
  bisect                  help                    remote-https
  bisect--helper          http-backend            repack
  blame                   http-fetch              replace
  branch                  http-push               request-pull
  bundle                  imap-send               rerere
  cat-file                index-pack              reset
  check-attr              init                    rev-list
  check-ignore            init-db                 rev-parse
  check-mailmap           instaweb                revert
  check-ref-format        interpret-trailers      rm
  checkout                log                     send-email
  checkout-index          ls-files                send-pack
  cherry                  ls-remote               sh-i18n--envsubst
  cherry-pick             ls-tree                 shortlog
  citool                  mailinfo                show
  clean                   mailsplit               show-branch
  clone                   merge                   show-index
  column                  merge-base              show-ref
  commit                  merge-file              stage
  commit-tree             merge-index             stash
  config                  merge-octopus           status
  count-objects           merge-one-file          stripspace
  credential              merge-ours              submodule
  credential-manager      merge-recursive         submodule--helper
  credential-store        merge-resolve           subtree
  credential-wincred      merge-subtree           svn
  cvsexportcommit         merge-tree              symbolic-ref
  cvsimport               mergetool               tag
  daemon                  mktag                   unpack-file
  describe                mktree                  unpack-objects
  diff                    mv                      update
  diff-files              name-rev                update-git-for-windows
  diff-index              notes                   update-index
  diff-tree               p4                      update-ref
  difftool                pack-objects            update-server-info
  difftool--helper        pack-redundant          upload-archive
  fast-export             pack-refs               upload-pack
  fast-import             patch-id                var
  fetch                   prune                   verify-commit
  fetch-pack              prune-packed            verify-pack
  filter-branch           pull                    verify-tag
  fmt-merge-msg           push                    web--browse
  for-each-ref            quiltimport             whatchanged
  format-patch            read-tree               worktree
  fsck                    rebase                  write-tree
  fsck-objects            rebase--helper

git commands available from elsewhere on your $PATH

clang-format  flow

'git help -a' and 'git help -g' list available subcommands and some
concept guides. See 'git help <command>' or 'git help <concept>'
to read about a specific subcommand or concept.

Are there some familiar commands in there? Sure, clone, checkout, branch, mv, rm, pull, push, etc. But most of those I'm lost on. And no, I doubt it took him 10 minutes to find something. If it did, then clearly he's using the wrong query.
Finally, yes, git does have a bigger learning curve than Linux does. Git introduces the concept of version control, branches, checkouts, blames, commits... all sorts of unfamiliar terms. Linux introduces things that most people can get used to extremely quickly -- like, under thirty minutes: every device is a file, different path separators (/ vs. \), etc.

My Github