2018-05-13 23:41:31

greetings all.
I am currently playing a fun moo, at least for me, called Cyberlife (www.cyberlife.es). The author of the thing itself recommended me to read the lambda core user manual to learn how to code in the thing, but I am still lost on it.
How to download the thing? how to start editing it? I don't have troubles talking about the server, I could ask a friend to give me one and stuff. But I don't get how to make my own moo or mud, however you call it, and I really want to give the thing a try. If someone could give me a hand out here I'll thank you guys a lot.
And... well, I think that's all. Isn't it? tc and waiting for your answers. Btw, I am going to make it in spanish

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-05-14 00:14:49

I would recommend visiting www.lisdude.com/moo. That page has a lot of MOO resources including servers and cores. If you intend to make a game in MOO from scratch, expect it to take quite a long time.

2018-05-14 02:32:01

I mean, there's a lot to cover, and I don't have the time right now to go through all of it. There are detailed instructions on how to compile the server though, you need to at least have the programmer's manual as a reference. Wizards are dangerous, remember that, you can wipe your entire db in one fowl swoop if you're not careful, unlike these moo admins out here, I would highly highly not recommend walking around as a wizard. Set your character as a programmer, and then only use wizard for wizard things, like @chowning verbs and props, and @chmoding permission bits. You could also modify your restart.sh script to make it copy off a new dB each time the moo is started. You also should change the frequency at which it checkpoints at first, and compile so that it forks the second process, you don't want checkpointing on the same process, it'll freeze / lag your MOO. Also, remember that no matter how powerful a server you have, and how much it may have the ability to load balance processes among your cores or CPUs, MOO is old, and it can only run on one core, so you need to keep your core 0 as light as possible, or MOO might have problems if you start having large numbers of tasks. Be ware of patching the server, or using custom servers, 1.8.1 is a good base and rock stable, but it does not have some features that you may want. Patching the server can make it more unstable, but there are custom servers out there like gamma and stunt, to name only a few. If you use something other than moo 1.8.1 make sure to follow any and all instructions they have. I know its a lot, it involves knowledge of navigating unix file systems, and so forth. Do not use winmoo, I guarantee it will not work for you as you expect. I hope it works out for you. I am not a MOO expert by any stretch, but if you need help with a specific thing, let me know, also there are others here more capable than I am who might be able to help.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-16 20:30:58

Just to add to that, if you plan to make your MOO in spanish, I hope that Spanish does not use unicode characters... They won't work for MOO.

HTH.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2018-05-16 20:34:31

I have seen some MOO servers be able to handle unicode characters, but it is certainly the case that stock MOO cannot.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-16 21:22:53

Yeah, there's a unicode patch for stock Lambda, but I don't think Stunt started off with it. Could be wrong though.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2018-05-17 19:18:16

WinMOO is okay if you're just messing around on your own and don't want people to connect, but I sure wouldn't use it to run a MOO that people are going to connect to.

2018-05-17 20:29:55

I wouldn't even use it for just your own messing, you may have a database it isn't able to load, or you may have a database from winmoo that the server won't load once you get to the unix level. That sounds far fetched, but I've seen it happen, though only the first way around. Winmoo is very weird about loading databases, and I'm not talking about stunt databases, gamma databases, just normal moo databases. If you want to try moo on your own without having a server, and you have windows 10, you can activate WSL and install one of the distros from the store, should work fine. Just make sure the packages are there that contain the GCC compiler, and bison.

End racism
End division
Become united