2018-05-14 04:08:08 (edited by AlexN94 2018-05-15 12:13:26)

Just a quick recommendation that I hope people will enjoy - I certainly have so far.

So, if you're into both horror and mystery and also like listening to podcasts, you should definitely give The Magnus Archives by Rusty Quill a go. You can find it both on YouTube and at the link below. I recommend the latter as not all episodes are up on their YouTube channel yet.

A little bit about the podcast, shamelessly copied from their own website:

RustyQuill.com wrote:

One of the foremost centres of supernatural research, The Magnus Institute has appointed a new Head Archivist in Jonathan Sims. This award-nominated horror podcast follows his attempts to put the Archive in some kind of order whilst new supernatural mysteries seems to arise every week…

And finally, the podcast feed:

https://rss.acast.com/themagnusarchives

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2018-05-16 01:37:50

This is a really good podcast. I'm enjoying it a lot.

2018-05-16 16:52:50

@Munawar: I'm glad you do. There's a lot to catch up on, but I'd say it's worth it. The world building they've done is just amazing.

2018-05-17 00:52:33

Yes smile it's great, especially since I found out Foobar 2000 lets you subscribe to podcasts. Nice not having a separate program to download these files.

2018-05-17 01:19:01

Oh that's very neat indeed! I ought to look more into that player someday.

How far into the podcast are you? Got a favourite episode so far? smile

2018-05-17 03:26:20

would some one kindly get me a dropbox link to the files. while i can find an ap that can download them. pod catcher wasted over 4 gigs of my data cap insisting it downloaded them all, then, when checking only to find 1 file called, media.mp3. q cast is broken, since it finds the podcast but fails to download them.
i tunes is the last ap left but its clunkey and, i shall use it if no other aps found

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-05-17 07:20:45

@flyby chow: Here's the first season in a zip, including the three pre-launch trailers and the Q&A they did afterwards. Acast where their podcast can be downloaded from is a bit weird about the file names, which is why they're all called Media.mp3.

2018-05-17 08:22:30

Hi Alex, ahah, this might explain, why the software only gave me 1 file called media .mp3. i guess i'll have to some how grab all the rest manually, laughs, thank you very much for this file. busy downloading it now

2018-05-17 08:53:24

I can upload the second season for you as well once you've downloaded that. I just have limited space in my DropBox smile Assuming you enjoy the podcast enough to want the rest of course. Each season is 40 episodes though, so there's a good bit before you're through the first file.

Hope you'll like it smile

2018-05-17 16:26:45

@5: Yes, Foobar2000 is amazing. I've been using it ever since support for Winamp dropped. The good thing is it's open source and has a wealth of plugins to choose from, one of them being the podcaster part of it.

I don't have a favorite episode, but I'm definitely enjoying listening to them. I hope in later episodes they come back to case files like they mention they would re: opening up investigations and all that.

2018-05-17 17:13:03 (edited by defender 2018-05-17 17:59:10)

I just finished season 1 of Ars paradoxica and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
At first I found the main character to be winy and quirky in all the worst ways, but I really started to become invested in all the characters after about 3 or 4 episodes.
While they do use complex language and concepts to describe time, they do it in such a way where if you don't understand, you can still easily follow along and enjoy it because the narrative is strong enough to make that just an afterthought, which I really like.
I really wish they had tried a bit harder to use period language and more period scenery because it could have added allot, but they do make some references here and their.
They have some really cool concepts about time travel and it's effect on the mental state of those that use it too.
They don't use constant sounds or any music aside from the intro and outro, but the sounds they do use are really cool, particularly the radio transitions and the effects used in the tape recordings in respects to E M interference and advancements in recording quality, really colors the hole podcast in a neat way.
I'd say that almost all of the actors are good, though Sally's laugh and Hellen's voice in general leave something to be desired LOL, and while Donavin's actor is really good at the tone, his voice is just wrong for the role.
That said though they do a very good job at putting you in the moment... And the emotion is definitely their.

2018-05-17 17:19:01

@Munawar: Oh just wait, some elements definitely show up more than one time throughout the story. This is one of those shows where relistening after catching up can be a great idea... Or Reading a timeline.

That's a thing I really like about the podcast, it's all out of order, so it's more like a puzzle you're slowly being fed and then have to put together. I greatly enjoy that.

An early favourite of mine would be episode 4, Page Turner. That's probably when I really got into the podcast.

2018-05-17 17:55:28

sorry I didn't mean to highjack this thread lol, I meant to post in the other one...

2018-05-17 20:25:15

@12 Yeah, I noticed. xD. Besides the odd thing that they've named all the files the same thing so you have to use title placeholders to get the files to download properly, the podcast is no trouble.

Ever notice how the English accent and the fact that it's happening in London make it a little more creepy? I've never enjoyed horror stories that take place in America; they don't have that "feel" to them.

2018-05-17 23:45:18

@Munawar: I've always loved anything UK-based, so I definitely don't say no to the British accents or the setting. I'm sadly not too familiar with some of the places they mention, but I like how they include real places/buildings. I remember seeing someone on their subreddit asking for suggestions for a Magnus-based tour for their upcoming trip to England. I find it pretty neat that one could actually make such a thing. When you use real world locations it just feels more...well...real. XD

@Defender: No worries, I figured you were going for the other one smile nice suggestion still, I've heard good things about that podcast.

2018-05-18 02:05:32

Yup it's just something about Brits...

I travel to the Englishland quite a bit so am familiar with many of the places they mention, how ever unfortunate that might be for an American. big_smile

2018-05-18 02:24:20

I would love to go there onde day myself. Having a list of locations to visit compiled from a podcast like this for whenever it might happen wouldn't be too bad either. There's a not insignificant focus on Robert Smirke's architecture throughout the series, and some of his works are certainly worth checking out I would imagine.

2018-05-18 03:38:21

Hi Alex, i've downloaded the first season. thank you very much for that link. if you would be able to upload the rest it would be appreciated. i've downloaded it from the link you gave. once I got them all from you. i'm gonna dive right in, my weekend is coming up. and it is 1 in a long long while wich won't see me working. so you know what i'll be wanting to do on my break. laughs. once I have all of them, i'll dive right in! smile

2018-05-18 05:57:04

@Flyby Chow: Here's the second season smile Only a bit over half a season to go after that XD

2018-05-18 06:56:16

This podcast sounds interesting. However, the Dropbox link you provided doesn't work.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-05-18 07:42:33

Which of them? I removed the first season again to have space for the second.

2018-05-18 08:37:21

cool Alex, i have got the second one. now all we need is the rest and we all good! thank you so much for uploading it for me. you can remove this one and replace it with the last bit.

2018-05-18 09:00:40

Episode 81-101 plus a bit extra they released.

2018-05-18 10:17:09

their we go. Thank you sir Alex,
all done. got them all.
Hops up and down with excitement, i know what I'll be up to this weekend.
You a star.
Thank you good sir.

2018-05-18 11:40:41

@20: it's a podcast. You can get it from the site directly by subscribing to their RSS feed...