2010-07-17 12:28:22

Just a crazy thought I had, what if rulebooks for RPG's such as D&D or wargames such as Warhammer were produced in Daisy and/or Braille? I still think table top RPG's have a lot of potential for the blind and I'm sure something can be worked out regarding wargames.

Of course I doubt the big players would go for something like this as a start up so anyone trying this would have to find a more modestly sized company to work with.

Does anyone think this might work? I'm not quite convinced it would be financially viable but it is certainly an interesting concept. How many people reading this aside from me would be interested?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-07-17 23:01:25

While I can't speak for wargames, there are pdf versions of other tabletop books available, ---- I indeed have some of the books for mutants and masterminds. when I originally got these though the text converted fine, the tables had some options, however with some of the updates to adoby reader, ----- pluss making certain I use the accessible version of the program and not the usual one, these come out okay even with tables.

Really, Adoby should make it clearer that there are! two versions of the program, and the bog standard version doesn't either convert to text or run with screen readers too well.

Anyway, you can find the accessible adoby reader at http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/reader/ and you can get rpg rule books from http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/

I believe they may sell war game related stuff as well, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.

Either way, now that there ar programs to manage things like character and enemy stats and more gms' use laptops (our mutants gm certainly does, in fact he's a beta tester for hero lab, the mutants gm helper program), I think books in electronic if not accessible format will become more common.

I do wish though they would publish the newly released gamebooks in the fighting fantasy and lone wolf series in a none paper form, ---- but sadly not!

Some funky touch screen applications for I phone, but nothing that will work with a screen reader sadly.

anyway, that's another debate entirely, I stil hope you find that stuff useful.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-18 20:57:33

Wargames stuff is sadly more limited though the RPG thing is good indeed. I've a nasty feeling I've been using the vanilla adobe all this time so I'll try the accessible version.

As to touch screen iphone apps, actually the iphone and ipod touch as well as ipad *are* accessible though whether images are labelled is of course another issue. The touch screen is no barrier. I've been lucky enough to get hold of one since I needed a new phone for various reasons, the older 3GS model, and it works pretty well in the standard apps and in iBooks which is indeed accessible.

Edit:
Tried the accessible version install, the dratted thing told me I already have a "more functional product installed". Rubbish to that, I'll have to try uninstalling adobe reader some time and reinstalling with the accessible version.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-07-18 21:15:15

Yep, there is quite a difference, and Adoby don't make it particularly clear that there is an accessible version. The original has the "convert to accessible text" option, but it tends to mess things up royally, ---- not to mention slowing your computer to a crawll.

I only found this out last year myself when the falcon banner novels converted fine on my desktop but came out in a right royal mess on my laptop, ---- that's also why I've stuck links to the accessible adoby reader around the place.

I'd be interested to know if the Iphone applications of fighting fantasy books are accessible or not, I'm not sure if demos are available, but you can find them at www.fightingfantasy.com I believe. I did send them an e-mail asking about accessible pc versions but got no reply annoyingly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-19 15:13:21

No change in the Shadowrun PDF's sadly. Maybe the PDF tool they use to make them is just not good on accessibility.

As to iPhone software, this is one of the controversial things about it. You can't get software for the iPhone from anywhere other than the iTunes store, though people may upload it and make it available for free, without going through the mess of breaking the protection on the phone which then makes all sorts of other problems. While I'm sure they do have an iPhone app it won't be held on their own site, they'll only be able to give a link to the iTunes page for the app from where you can download and install it. They really do have a stranglehold on software distribution on the platform, to an extent that would never be tolerated for Microsoft to do.

cx2
-----

2010-07-19 18:52:04

Have you tried monkeying with some of the document and view settings? for example, changing the convertion setting from "read the entire document" to something more manageable.

While it is indeed possible that whoever created the pdfs just didn't do a particularly good job access wise, ---- tables particularly come out as rather wonkey, it's worth checking all the options first.

I find that software business quite worrying, especially with how people believe aple is such a good company in comparison to microsoft?

It might not actually have been Iphone, I just remember seeing something about an application version of the new fighting fantasy books for a mobile phone platform, ---- as I said though, I got absolutely no response at all when even begining an access discussion sadly.

I'm actually surprised that with fighting fantasy and lone wolf getting rereleased sites like the fighting fantasy project and especially project aon can keep going, ---- but planely they are (though i've got downloaded versions of all the material stored up just in case).

2010-07-19 19:42:44

Well it's tables that I'm having the most issues with, some of them not even appearing at all.

I've heard it said Apple are the next Microsoft. In theory there is no reason Mac OS couldn't run on a PC, there is no technical difference between PC and Mac in hardware these days, they just choose not to. Macs are also very capable of running Windows which Apple don't seem to mind using as a selling point however. There are also all kinds of shenanigans with Apple's approval process for iOS apps on the iPhone iPod touch and iPad. As well as denying anything sexual they also denied rather a lot of voice chat apps, but oddly allowed Skype. They also let through some apps then decide they're unsuitable later. Plus there is all the fuss about them refusing to allow Flash, whether you like Flash or not you have to wonder whether that is Apple's call.

cx2
-----

2010-07-19 20:46:42

It sounds more like the monopoly card than anything else really.

have you tried reading the tables with the default sapi reading system in the access version of acrobat? sometimes that can help, though unfortunately some documents just don't work.

The tables in the mutants books came out very badly in previous bersions of adoby but were fine in the access version of adoby 9. Of course, I'd also upgraded my hal at that stage and better pdf access was included in version eleven upwards, so that may have something to do with it as well.