2018-04-17 05:46:32

hi.
these are just some ideas i've had for a much better warning system, that if implomented, could hopefully help get the message accross to some people.
first and for most, we need an actuall warning system. as far as i'm aware, all warnings are right now are just a post in the topic where the ofence happened, and possibly an email from the mod who gave the warning. if we could actually get a proper warning system, that could help things. these are my ideas as to how this warning system could work.
a warnings count. on the user's profile there should be a list of all there warnings, if any. if someone has more than 3 warnings, they should be automaticly banned. over the past year or so i've been reading the forum, i've seen a lot of warning after warning after warning, and nothing actually done about it. banning seems to be the nuclear option here, however if the mods took advantage of the punBB temp ban system, that should resolve it. i think it could work like this.
3 warnings or more, 1 week ban.
4 warnings or more, 2 week ban.
5 warnings or more, 4 week ban
6 warnings, 6 week ban.
7 warnings, 2 month ban.
8 warnings, 6 month ban.
9 warnings, 1 year ban.
10 warnings, perminant ban.
also something we need to considder here is the language barier. if someone doesn't speak good english, or has to use google translate or some other translation survice to translate everything, that should be taken into account, and where possible, warnings should also be emailed to the person, translated into there language so they can understand better.
i'm not sure if a system like this would even be possible in punBB but if it is, i strongly reccomend looking into it. if dark is unable to do it, possibly richard or sander could make an extention for it, if they're not bizzy with there offline lives.

2018-04-17 13:15:37

Back when I was administering the user's forum for our product, it had a similar warning system in that in each member's profile, the number of warnings received is displayed for all to see. If a member looks at their own profile, they will also see the reason for each warning and a link to the related message.

The warning system didn't invoke punishment, that is left to the admins and modds to do. It's just a system to keep track of warnings issued.

Thumbs up

2018-04-18 11:37:45

Hmmmm, Thumbs up your vaderness for asking such an interesting question.

I do agree a visible system for keeping track of warnings would be handy though I'm not sure if there is a PunBB system for this, however I'm less keen on anything strict, EG two warnings and its a week ban etc.

The plane fact is every situation that arises on the board is different. Someone passing around game cracks is not the same as someone just getting carried away in a discussion, likewise a person who just calls someone else an idiot is not the same as someone who castigates another for their opinions but doesn't use one insult.

Moderation is not some strict, easily applicable set of penalties, nor yet is it a dalek style "obey or you will be ex ter min ated!", nor yet is it a super happy tree earth loving "give peace a chance and be nice to people" type of affair.

It has elements of all of these at different situations depending upon the person and the circumstances. For example I might say to someone "just stop doing that and be nice" but issue no formal warning, then at another time I might say "this is your first warning, one more and your off!" and then at another time I might say "Your banned! go to jail, go directly to jale, do not pass go, do not collect 200 of anything!"

Indeed the very idea of formal warnings simply arose from occasions in which myself or other mods would  tell someone to knock it off but want something with a little more gravatas and more of a certain "knock it off or else!" type of vibe.

I will also say, banning is a nuclear option, and  is the case with such options you need to try to avoid using it if at all possible, but be prepared to use it when needed.
This is why we only appoint select people to the position of moderator, since frankly its a bastardly tricky job at some points big_smile.

So to get back to your original point, I do like the idea of formal warnings on a users profile, though whether there is a PunBB extension for that I'm not sure, but for everything else as usual I'd rather trust the judgement of a few good men, women and smizmars than try something more authoritarian, ----- after all this forum has thus far managed as a benign anarchist dictatorship and I'd prefer to keep it so, ---- though of course as principle benign anarchist dictator I probably would say that big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up +1

2018-04-27 02:53:28

What is the warning system? What is it exactly used for? Just wondering and curious.

”I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4 verse 13
If you want to message me, send me a message using the forum email,  since I do not check my private messages that much.  I also have a TeamTalk server. Message me if you would like to have an account on my server

2018-04-27 09:21:35

It’s used to tell wrong doers when they’re doing wrong, basically.

2018-04-30 13:10:49

Vader is right here.
Basically if your doing something wrong you get an official warning. Too many official warnings and things escalate and you could be permanently or temporarily banned from the forum, though usually things don't go that far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

Thumbs up