2018-04-28 12:02:07

Well, you never know until you try.

2018-04-28 12:06:48

Now I want to solve the same problem in C++, C# and Python.
C# showed me that there are problems with cross-platforming. I have to use X86 libraries on X64. When I gave the project to another person, he could not run it.
I believe that there should not be such problems.
Java is better than C# in terms of cross-platform. Now I'm looking at C++ and Python.

2018-04-28 17:14:55

java is better in terms of cross platform because it compiles into its own byte code then its runtime will execute that byte code (although C# compiles into ILcode)
i have to add that both of C# and java code are decompilable

2018-04-28 20:19:08

@jonikster, your leaping too high up the latter. That is, your wanting to develop games your definitely not ready for, and that's going to set you up for early failure. You need to start small, then jump to bigger and bigger things.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-28 21:13:13

Ethin, Now I would like to develop a simple game field with sound objects in C++, C# and Python and make my choice of language and start developing in this language.
1 very good person told me that C++ is not effective now for games. I'm inclined to believe this person, because this man has developed a great game, in which many played.
Now I will not ask about the choice of programming languages, because I understand that this is pointless. I must try to try and decide.

2018-04-28 21:46:20

@jonikster
Pointers are rather straight forward and have to deal with RAM. All the programs on a computer run in memory, or the available RAM that you have, the operating system, sound drivers, screen readers, and even the web browser your using right now. All of these store information in memory, and the operating system manages which program gets which part of memory to work within to ensure they don't step on each others toes. When you allocate space in a language like C++, the operating system will clear up a spot in memory if one is available and return a pointer, or reference to that point in memory for you to store your information in. If you store more data in it than the space you requested however it can overwrite another part of memory and potentially mess up another programs data, which is referred to as a [buffer overflow]. Another problem is if programs don't let the OS know their done with the memory they've been allocated, ending without releasing it, keep calling the OS for more and more space in RAM, or asking for more space faster than it can clear it up, which is referred to as a [memory leak].

Something to think about is if you understand how GTA or COD works, how the world is loaded, pathfinding, AI, etc. it gets a lot easier to know how to implement that in other languages, and familiarity with various packages, libraries, and languages can help you understand the potential pitfalls you might encounter with things like cross platform support, different system configurations, implementation, etc. So something to work towards may be breaking down each element of your larger goal into its own project, like making a small game to test and figure out pathfinding, or another small game to test and optimize environment loading, another for AI, etc. Then gradually weave what you've learned from those projects into your larger project as you go.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-28 22:23:47

For me, evaluating myself is key, I take what I already know and weave elements into a project that I don't know about. So I am forced to do research and learn, but its not so overwhelming that I feel like I simply can't do it. I also test often, that way when something isn't working, I don't have 20 reasons why, I might have 3.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-29 01:23:18

@jonikster, I'd liek to address your point that C++ is not a good programming language for games by correcting you -- C++ is a very viable programming language for games. Games such as Boarderlands, a Video Game, was developed using UE4 and C++. Other games such as the Quake series, Doom, Garry's Mod, etc. were also developed in C++. Other games are entering the game marketplace; C# is used as a programming language for platforms such as Xbox, though C++ is still used for DirectX games which are deployable on Xbox.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-29 08:50:14

Ethin, I said that I was told that now I can solve my problems in other languages by writing less code, having spent less time. That for my tasks I do not need to use C++.

2018-04-29 17:23:08

There is a behavior among some programmers, I've only ever seen it over the net, not in the few coders I know personally, but they can't be objective about stuff like which language to use, so you need to evaluate what they're saying and make your own decision based on whether you think they're doing this. For instance, if they speak with a fiery passion, like they're preaching to you almost, yeah, in that case you might be wise to take what they say with a grain of salt. Not that they're necessarily wrong, but their views are obviously colored. Now, if someone can lay out the pros and cons logically, and without emotion, I'd be more inclined to trust that person. I would recommend you continue as you have stated here, write a small game in all the languages that interest you, see which feels most comfortable to you. That's really the only way to know.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-29 18:16:49

Ironcross, you should be especially cautions when they break to sing hymns partway through their speech.  Haha!  big_smile

"Today's reading comes from 'Effective C++ Third edition', Chapter 12, verses 19 through 22... And the Lord saith unto Abraham, the naming conventions of your header files shall never stray from tradition.  When the people of Kernighan strayed from the One True Brace Style, they fell from grace and were as the lost ones.  With wailing and gnashing of teeth, they adorned themselves with sackcloth and ashes, and wandered the streets.  When the search for their missing semicolon had completed, the people rejoiced and all was forgiven.  Amen."

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-04-29 19:15:54

Lol, that just about describes it. Honestly, looking online, its hard to find programmers that seem to be level headed, they either act like they're God's gift to humanity, or gods themselves. If its not that, its that they're a total devotee to *their* way of doing something, and every other way is wrong. Then they get into silly debates that can turn downright vile, like whether to use tabs or spaces. Like look, if you're collaborating with someone, have the decency to conform to the project's standard, if you're doing your own thing, do it however you like, simple. I personally use tabs since they're easier to count etc. but spaces are probably more visually appealing since you can get more code on the screen in more nested blocks without having to horizontally scroll.

I mean, we have a lot of programmers out there, and yes, there's no doubt they provide a service that our modern day society needs to function. But, they're not the only profession out there that does. Policing, fire fighting, doctors, EMS / para medics, etc.

Probably these god complex dudes don't get laid near enough, they are staring at their monitors until 3 in the morning lol.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-29 19:39:34

Well said Ironcross.

I'm sure it's not related, but how long has it been now since the community lost Thomas Ward?  For a long time, he was The guy to talk to if you couldn't decide what language to use... or even if you had already decided and had been producing games.  More than most he would take a personal interest in making sure you didn't wind up using the wrong one.

tongue

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-29 20:09:59

Aprone, Thomas Ward, who is this?

2018-04-29 21:03:23

I was wondering earlier when exactly developer Jim Kitchen had passed away, which was August of 2015, but I couldn't find Thomas Ward until now.  I found a website that says February of 2016.

Thomas Ward was a famous audio games developer.  He appeared in online articles, magazine articles, podcasts, and online interviews as an expert in the field of audio games.  He used to moderate the Audyssey.org email forum, was the founder and CEO of USA Games, and was the developer of all of its games.

There are conflicting details about him though, so it's hard to tell you more without this little disclaimer.  Through things he personally told me during email conversations, Thomas was born sometime in the 60s or early 70s, had earned an impressive set of computer programming related degrees from a university, and had developed enough quality audio games to earn him a spot among the top developers.

Statements from his close friends, family, and obituary (which I cannot find now for the life of me) disagreed on some of the details, so you'll have to pick which version sounds best.  I can't imagine why those sources would lie (in a very unflattering way), but at the same time I was told the other version by the man himself, often times stressed to make sure I fully understood those things about him.  In their version Thomas was born in the 80s, had never attended any college, had developed 2 small games (blackjack and some star trek one), and was working on a platforming game.

Sorry, I can see that I've gotten things far off topic here.  I don't know if I feel like highlighting and deleting everything I just wrote though, so I'm going with the "asking forgiveness is easier than asking for than permission" approach.  My apologies.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-29 21:32:13

But where is he now, he has past away also or is there other information?

2018-04-29 21:34:54

He passed away in February of 2016.  I don't believe his original website is still going, but someone might be able to point you a different site that holds all of his games.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-29 22:13:41

Why good people past away...

2018-04-29 22:16:35

Aprone, I remember your games. I remember when I played Swamp, when it was free. It is a pity that now it is paid. At that time I was very happy about this game, but now I'm delighted with you because you did it with VB 6.