2018-04-27 04:55:35

I have been under the impression that double posting is something that is frowned upon on the forms. Where it is okay every now and then repeatable double posting, triple posting and so on should not be done. Is this still the policy? Because I have noticed a lot of double posting lately and was wondering if it is something that should or will be addressed.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-04-28 17:46:31

Good grief. A few years ago we had this very debate in reverse, in which people complained because double posting was not allowed and people wanted to be able to do it.

What should be done in this case I'm not generally sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-28 18:01:30

Honestly, what is such a big deal in seeing 2 posts by the same user? When we are talking about 3 or more, then the story is different. If it is a developer giving us status updates, then again nothing is a big deal there and those updates will not get attention in one post usually. Now however, there is spam posting which is probably the reason people get annoyed with double posts. Double posting is however not the only way to do spam. They might as well create new topics so should we then disallow 2 topics in a certain period of time? I do not think so and I think that the forum is dealing with spam quite well especially with the new introductions system in place.

2018-04-28 19:56:23 (edited by Jeffb 2018-04-28 19:57:35)

The instances that I'm talking about is when someone posts 2 posts in a row about the same thing. There is also a double post where the user could of easily edited his post but instead quoted himself and put a few words at the bottom. Also when someone could just wait for an answer but does not get one so they post about their issue again.

2018-04-28 20:02:30

I do have to say that the repeat offenders, people who quadruple post at times, don't reign it in even when told that it's bad form. Then again, it is stated in the rules that double posting isn't allowed. I think that the occasional double post is fine, especially in the case of a developer who posts an update, then a couple of months later, if the post becomes dormant, they come back and post again. It could be considered the same if someone needs help with some sort of urgent problem, and can't find the answer they need anywhere else. It's a balancing act, in other words. I do think that some people abuse it though, in which case they should be reminded that it's bad etiquette, if nothing else. But really, as I said, some of the people who do it won't stop even when told to, so meh.

Also, it is sort of unnecessary to split what could have been all one post into 5 successive posts, that, I agree is highly irritating and should be dealt with.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-28 23:47:35

Gonna jump in here and say no, not everyone can edit their posts if they're on a phone or tablet, or using different browsers. Posting this from Elinks which doesn't let me edit any posts and honestly it's just easier to post again than go back and edit a post I feel. So I don't see the issue with double posts. Three or four in a row however is a different story.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-04-29 00:59:53

Do you guys who suggest editing read the same post multiple times just to see if it was edited? I quite doupt so.

2018-04-29 05:50:10

Some people might get the advantage create the same post just to boost up their number of posts, and can gain new rank quickly.

2018-04-29 06:48:28

I don't see a problem with it.

I recently did a triple post thinking a game mechanic was broken.

Later I found out that it was human error, me not noticing the other edit box, so I edited one of my previous posts.

2018-04-30 13:07:50

The problem iss you can't really set rules on this.
There are some legitimate reasons as to why people should double post EG if they find out new information, or are posting successive chapters of a walkthru or something like that, heck I've used double posting in this way myself (look at the Alexa topic).

The problem as always is some people just aren't respectful of netiquette and don't see the difference between a couple of well worded posts,  three or four one line ones.
I'm tempted to put a question in the site faq about this to the effect that you shouldn't treat a forum as a chat system, and your new post should add something new to the discussion and be worth people's while to read, but I'm not sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-30 19:37:00

Gonna say this one here:

I'm that guy who decides to post from the terminal and do everything from a Linux terminal for a month or two, so at least here on W3M or Elinks, I can browse fine, I can post fine, but...for whatever reason, editing posts is a PITA. Also same for my phone browsing and posting. It's harder to edit posts on a smaller screen or different format.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-05-01 04:09:36

@Dark I'd like that idea! Perhaps a pole about it?