2018-04-24 19:30:16

Well yeah, you do have to set it up first. He probably just didn't bother.
But having said that, the censor on the 6 really, really sucks. My Samsung's blows it right out of the water in both speed and accuracy.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-04-24 20:46:15

Well his iPhone is the first smart phone he ever had lol, before that it was all those flip phones, remember those bulky ones, he does roofing / home improvement, so he needed bulky phones that would stand up to some stuff. I had to work on him for years for him to get one. Even I didn't have one until the 7 I have now, the previous phone was in 2010, and was a sort of well, i don't know what you'd call it, a sort of hybrid between feature phones and smart phones. Was a slide, with a full qwerty keyboard. So I went from 2010 to 2017 without having a phone, an finally got one in October. It's kind of a testament to Apple that having no prior experience with touch screen phones, I was able to learn it effortlessly. I did have two tablets, and before that, like 2008 or 9, I had an iPod Touch, but I didn't use voice over with it because I had somewhat better vision, so I used zoom.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-25 03:22:46

My dad also has a 6, but callused fingers make touch ID pretty much unusable.

2018-04-25 04:25:00

I wonder how that holds true for other devices. Can't say it's a problem I have really, I wonder if your dad could set up touch ID again and see how that goes for him? I will admit I do get frustrated sometimes trying to unlock things only to find that it's not working because I've just washed my hands and even after drying my fingers still slightly damp or something. In saying that I suppose that's exactly what you want. lol

2018-04-25 11:40:38

I assumed the six didn't have a finger print scanner because my lady just couldn't get it to recognize her fingers. I now wonder if its just because her fingers are particularly tiny, either way it'd be nice if there was a simple way of turning this off.
It also doesn't help that her Apple ID isn't currently functioning and she'll need to use password recovery since for some reason the password we thought it was isn't working on her phone.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-26 09:29:50

Check this for a funny device for a V. I
The razer gaming phone with 120hz refresh rate lol pointless or what lol
They had me with the dual stereo front facing speakers with dd atmos

Very enjoyable to listen to
Funny when I pull it out ppl ask wtf phone is that haha & why do you have a phone like that

2018-04-26 17:24:14

The 6 definitely has a fingerprint scanner... I can confirm that, so people shouldn't assume that it doesn't hve one because they aren't prompted for a fingerprint. Touch ID has been around since it was introduced in the iphone 5s. smile

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-26 19:52:39

I like android, and have owned several android devices. It does everything I want a phone to do. I don't play any games on a phone anymore, because all the good stuff isn't around anymore, and I can't stand TikenBlue, neither here nor there. Messenger, facebook, gmail, text messaging, skype, and web browsing are good enough. I don't like the fact that on iOS, you have to use iTunes, and the like. The nice thing about iOS is that it just works, and since the majority of my friends have iMessage, I see when my messages are read, and when someone is typing. If I were to switch to android, I'd miss predictions with typing, don't use dictate much, because, everyone will here what you're saying, so might as well call, I'll miss screen certain, because I don't want anyone seeing what I'm doing, because it's none of anyone's business, I'll miss the roter, and easy navigation, and the fact that braille is way better. But, yes, if you're a technologically minded person who is willing to find solutions for problems that you run across, and want a phone that's probably going to be cheaper, and last longer, as far as software stability, and have more choices for things, get an android.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-04-27 09:54:50

@techmaster20 I can't help with the other things, but the screen can also be turned off in android. I believe it was somewhere under accessibility in the vision section. As far as I know, many keyboards have word predictions, though I personally don't use them so can't tell you how well they work.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-04-27 10:59:12 (edited by pulseman45 2018-04-27 11:00:12)

Yes, you can activate triple press on both volume buttons for screen deeming, in accessibility settings.
I'm of course satisfied with Android over all, except maybe when you have to use the local contextual menu in Talkback to enable selection mode for example. I think that kind of thing should take less time to do.
I also like the fact that Talkback users have been able to experience gesture-based navigation for a while, though in a probably less intuitive way than what was done on IPhone X in that matter. Now that it seems to be the futur I'm interested to know what Google will do with it, and I'm also interested to test OnePlus's implementation that should come in the official Android 8.1 build for the 5T, that I still didn't receive yet unfortunately.

2018-04-27 12:35:14

Okay, so here's my adventure through iOS and Android. A year ago, I had an iPhone 6. Then a Google Pixel. 6 months later, I have a n iPhone 7. I just can't make up my mind, right?
My first smart phone was a Samsung Stratosphere. It ran 2.3.5, and was updated to 2.3.6. The Google Pixel ran Android 7, then was updated to 8. The iPhone 6 ran iOS 9, and is updated to iOS11. The iPhone 7, of course, ran iOS 11. So, right off, you see the huge varieties in version numbers. I'll get to that later.
Accessibly, iPhone wins, hands down, not because of what it conceptually could do, or what Apple might do with it in the future, but what it does, right now, right here, on any iPhone. With Google, we always have our head in the clouds, because AI and Machine learning are so mysterious and just, what'll they do next! But no.
Apple's accessibility team may be strictly managed, although plenty of bugs do get out, this coming from an Apple Public Beta tester of iOS 11, shut up about the DNA, no one cares. Voiceover hasn't grown as much as it could, but that may be because they want accuracy, as much as possible. Take the photos identification they added in iOS11. Its crap, and everyone knows it. This isn't because Apple can't do it; they're the riches company in the world, or so I've heard, its because AI isn't very confident about what it sees. Have you ever gotten a crazy answer from Seeing AI? Yeah, Microsoft puts the AI at a bigger confidence level, because the results may be right, but usually its pretty off, and may be false, even. So, it may get better in iOS 12. I don't kno. I'm not a prophet sent by Apple to proclaim that accessibility isn't dead.
Android doesn't even have this feature in Talkback.
Yeah, crazy isn't it? The AI-first company doesn't have any AI at all in its screen reader, when all others, except NVDA, JAWS, ORCA, Emacspeak, … Okay, Narrator and Voiceover, the two main competitors to Google's first-party option, do have AI. Get to work, Google. It's not even that hard, just use all that AI-first stuff you keep jabbering about within a screen reader, and give me credit and money for bringing you the idea, please.
Apple sometimes "just works." Google "just works when we hammer the pieces into place and make it look so easy." There are way more apps on Google's play store than the App Store. Why? A one-time fee of $25 gets you into the Play Store, where you can find some pretty cool apps, although the coolest require root access and may be out to grab your personal info also, while others are just rusty old code splattered with paint and sirup in the hopes that it'll catch on and give some money from in-app purchases to reveal more stick smelly mess. Why aren't iOS apps ported to Android? Why aren't Android apps updated? iOS users pay, and are usually the ones to use their phones more, and usually see their phones more than as "good enough" tools because Google is just the best open platform now, which of course means the person is one of those that either runs Windows and uses his computer for mostly everything except calls and sends texts to his computer through apps, or runs Linux and just uses Android as an extension of that decentralized environment where everything is free. No app developer wants to work with that, because it's an unsteady user experience. At least, what I've described above is what I've seen from blind Android users.
But Apple has bugs! Yes, so does Google. One huge bug going around at Google is the inability of the different teams to cooperate. See the many threads on the eyes free list where Victor, one of the developers of TalkBack, frankly says that the Android accessibility API's, or programs for programmers to use to make things easier to access services or parts of an operating system, won't allow the Android accessibility team to implement. That's just terrible, you say. Yes, it is, because it shows that Victor would love to make magic happen, but the others in Android development have their own priorities which block accessibility development. iOS may have this problem too, and we may never know about it. But at least with iOS, you have the luxury of not knowing how bad a situation it could be, with Apple folks not even able to express their frustration at their coworkers outside of Apple in any way. Now, this isn't exactly pity for Victor, he should stand up for us, stop being wowed by working for the big Google and proverbially slam his fist down and say enough of enough, accessibility must progress. That's what Microsoft has done, and now look at them. Take a step back and look at what an open platform could be: two apps for the blind in the Apple App Store, a screen reader that keeps growing, and Microsoft accessibility on Twitter, actually replying and liking Tweets themselves, whereas Google accessibility on Twitter is much less lively.
But come on, Apple is a control freak. Sure, would you rather a control freak trying to be a hero handle your contacts, bank cards, and so on, or a group of people unable to even advance accessibility? Sure, Siri sucks, on every single Apple device. Sure, VoiceOver seems to be stagnating. Sure, dictation doesn't always work well, and in some cases now doesn't work at all. But its between Apple: Premium price for trying to make a premium product, or Google: Free and half-done because ye can't beat free, hyuck hyuck.
But, all the extensibility of Android! What am I gonna do! You can make your phone do all kinds of things in Android, but really, only when you're rooted. Verizon Pixel owners don't even have that ability. So, extensibility is out, for me it was at least.
But, Eloquence on a phone! Beat that, Fruitveil consumer! Sure, we have Fred. Sure, it may not have the recognizable tones of Eloquence, which most blind people seem to idolize, but it is a voice completely based on computer-generated speech, and its on your phone, your Mac, and your iPad.
But VoiceOver sucks because Apple is bad, Android has ... Uh, yeah, shine plus, ha ha. Uh, yeah its a great screen reader, I think. This is where extensibility falls short. We have so many options for music players, video players, GPS navigation systems, book readers, but unless you use Samsung, Talkback really is the only viable screen reader. People talk about Shine Plus being a screen reader, but they just say it because its there, not because its any good.
We have Vocalizer and Accapella and and ... All these speech engines even eSpeak! First, is it eSpeak NG? No? Thought not. Second, is Accapella even that good? No? Thought not. Third, we have Vocalizer too, for free. On all of our devices, Lus Alex, who uses, probably, AI or Machine learning or both, to read whole paragraphs instead of just lines or sentences, making his reading of passages pretty amazing when you stop thinking of how creepy and unnatural and and and all that his breathing is and focus on what his voice actually does when it speaks. Of course, having the ability to focus on the text itself that he speaks is great, I wish I could do that all the time. But having a great speech engine and voice is like having a great computer, it sure helps. Note this, more doesn't equal better. Accapella's speech is unnatural and the intonation is terrible, jumping all over the place. eSpeak is even more mechanical than Eloquence, and Google TTS sounds like the Compact versions of Vocalizer voices… Oh yeah, it is. 6 MB for a US English voice, and there is no way to enhance it. Have I asked about this? I sure have.
Now, am I an Apple fanboy? Maybe, but I'm also a Microsoft fanboy, and maybe even a Google fanboy for what they do with AI, and the most devoted fans want products to get better. That's why, if you read my Twitter, or even my comments on MacDailyNews, you'll see that I'm just as hard on Apple. No headphone jack, slow updates to services, like Apple Music, which could be updated at any time, and which isn't. Apple Music not able to start music on one device where I stopped on another, handoff for music. VoiceOver seeming to take a back seat, way in the back, compared to frivolous and useless Animoji and toys like that. The company I have the most praise for is Microsoft, and they don't even have a dog in the mobile race right now, although I've heard of the Surface Phone, I have no idea where that all came from, and even then I wish they'd use what they have to its fullest, allowing Narrator sounds to use Windows Sonic for Headphones, more customizability for Windows speech, head size, breathiness, and intonation, so the guy behind Emacspeak for Windows, Saquib Shake, can put OneCore speech into Emacspeak, and so that Narrator can show formatting information in a clear, definite way; and please let it be the mobile voices and not the slow and unresponsive desktop voices this time. No one uses the desktop voices when they know there are more mobile voices, and they're much faster.
So yeah, I choose iOS over Android any day.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me