2018-04-23 10:34:25

Hi!
I have a question. What software for music composition, or production do You use?
Is It accessible?
What are requirements for this software?
Thank You.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-04-23 12:48:47

1. Reaper
2. WIth an Osara plugin created for it, yes
3. System requirements are not that high, there is info on that n their website.

www.cockos.com

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-04-23 14:43:44

Hello guys!
I installed the reaper, but I could not activate the piano control mode on the keyboard.
How can I do this?

2018-04-23 15:00:58

Logic,, works with mac OS10

2018-04-23 19:19:27

Eric, how well does logic work with voiceover. And to whoever said they use reaper, do they make that for the Mac?

2018-04-24 03:21:53

Is Reaper complicated to learn? I've been hearing about it and have been interested.

Stevie-3

2018-04-24 04:56:42 (edited by angel_diva22 2018-04-24 04:58:00)

Hi,

Yes, Reaper works on Mac, and on Windows.

It is easy for most to learn, but if you have a horrible memory for keyboard shortcuts, it may not be as simple for some.

A suggestion is to not overwelm yourself, take it slowly. There is quite a bit to learn.

2018-04-24 05:06:51

Since Band in a Box is too expensive and there's no demo, and I'm thinking of getting a Midi interface at some point, can I use Reaper somehow to make music with just the software?
Band in a Box does sound intriguing, and I'd be curious to know if there are any open source apps that have the same functionality that happen to be accessible.
I wish there were tutorials on Reaper from a blindness perspective, as I do like the price tag.

2018-04-24 06:45:48

There are reaper tutorials form an accessibility stand point.  The Reaper access wiki has tons of info, and can be found here:
https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

There's also a podcast that can help you get started:
http://reaproducer.com/

As far as using instruments out of the box, no:  You'll have to have some on your system already, so hunt down stuff to use.  Accessibility is a hit or miss thing with those plugs, but if you have a midi keyboard/controller, then you can just load the VST and play, and toggle through the different presets with your keyboard.  But it's a lot of trial and error. 

"Is it easy to learn?" Is a majorly subjective question.  How much do you already know about audio mixing?  Have you done it before on another system?  Do you know audio terms, and just need to learn the DAW interface?  Or just a beginner at all of it.  It's not a question someone can answer, because it depends on the skillset your bringing with you when you switch to reaper.  That being said, hope these resources help, Reaper is a great DAW that if you stick with it and learn with OSARA it will fill all of your audio mixing needs.

2018-04-24 13:25:30

Love reaper as it wasn't for it I would not be back in to music production
I went from fl studio years ago to this new way of producing with reaper.
It all comes down to your mind frame!
Yf you don't put the effort in & give up eazly then your missing out big time

2018-04-25 06:29:24 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-04-25 06:36:36)

Hello. I am here. For now, the sole maintainer of the reaperaccessibility.com site.

I do not really understand the question as it is being posted so... bear in mind..

1. When someone talks about music composition to me, I immediately assume this has to do with sheet music, music arranging, writing parts for different instruments, writing a melody, writing lyrics and then adapting the material for different types of groups... from things like  a duo that consists of  clarinet and oboe, to a full big band that includes 5 saxophones, 4 trumpets, 5 trombones, rhythm section (drums, bass and guitar or piano) ETC . There is of course, braille music editor 2 for that, and a blog of the subject which is called the accessible music notation project.
I personally use lilypond for everything that relates to ink, printed sheet music.

2. When someone talks about music production, I automatically switch gears and then imagine that either someone sent me a melody, chords and lyrics and wants to make a full arrangement, from an audio standpoint, of the composition they do already have, or someone wants to do a recording and want to shape ideas they have to bring that to a complete song but does not necessarily have the theory or tools to write a melody, or harmonic progression or lyrics themselves. For that kind of task, I would also stick mostly with reaper for everything. Its practical workflow, its vast amount of documentation available, its helpful and vibrant user community and not to mention that even though the accessibility plug-in (osara) is not being realy worked on continuously (Jamie T. from NVDA fame, has been looking for developers that want to take up the task since 2016) we have been able to use up to 70% of the really large amount of features and functions provided, even running the latest version of the program, 5.79. Which means that its usually safe to update reaper versions. The developers even have realized when there is an accessibility regression and promptly fix things. You have to pay 60 dollars every two dot version numbers (I bought my copy in 2015 at version 4.85 and have not had to pay anymore up to date, up until version 6.0 which appears to be a rather long time from now if you ask me, probably next year)

and @diego (post 3)

what do you refer to as piano control mode from the keyboard?
I can only think of two things:
a. Something you enable to enter midi notes using the keyboard,
or
b. Use a piano, or a midi controller to control reaper from there.
or
C. A and B are totally wrong, its something completely different.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-04-25 06:31:13

@orin

check the wiki as suggested, and post here other tutorials you would like to see. I am always looking to pull up more content that has been buried on the mailing list archives and just about anywhere I can think of, to make that happen.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-05-16 23:28:18

OK.
Now, I have another question and I think, that for composers, also newbie composers is important too.
What about some accessible software for the blind to write notes? Do You know some software for this purpose?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-05-28 11:38:24

There is a software to write notes from Dancing Dots, but it is very expensive.