2018-04-20 18:54:11

I remember when I was 9 at camp and this counselor asked me if I felt faces to know what people looked like. I said no I don't do that. She kept insisting that it would help me understand what she looks like and I was like okay whatever. So she takes my hand and puts it on her face and she was like so now you know what I look like right. I just said yeah but I was really thinking no not really. The whole experience was awkward for sure. I think it be different if someone said I have this color hair, a big nose, something like that but it doesn't mean I want to touch it. This also reminds me of a seen in Step Brothers when the blind guy says. "Hey Nancy I was wondering if I could come over later and feel your face." The reply was just like oh sure, implying that guy is wierd.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-04-21 01:39:33

Never feel faces unless it's A pick up move

2018-04-21 03:55:31

Touching the face of the stranger that you know for the first time is kinda, meh. The face is just the skin, you get nothing from it. People in the sighted world  said, "looking at a person's face can examine their feeling, emotions, etc etc." But for us blind people, we cannot know their feeling by touching their face. I'd prefer to listen to their voice instead.

2018-04-21 06:38:21

I completely agree with Flackers and Ironcross. Sight is only as good as you have light, but as soon as there's a power-cut or power-breakdown in the evening, for instance, the whole place gets filled with exclamations of "I can't see!", "Stop where you are!", or "Where are you?" smile

I'm not saying that they are worse than we are in that regard, it's just that there's so much they could do with their other senses, they just don't realise it. Because they rely so much on one sense alone.

It's a sad thing that many people just see as folks with disfunctional vision rather than thinking that they could learn from us to use our other senses, if only by example. But no, that's only seen as an alternative.

And touching faces? Yes, that's creepy. It's fine if we're talking about a small child who is blind. But then too it'll work only with close family members. Other than that, certainly not. I wonder from where sighted people get such weird ideas about us?

2018-04-21 21:22:46

I think Socheat is correct on faces. Because the movements of the eyes and facial muscles convey so much to sighted people its held that the face is important to convey emotion, but if you can't see you just don't get that so the face is just the  body part with the holes in for food and smells to go into ;D.

I admit I am a little sorry to not be able to get facial expressions as I would love to know what it is like, especially as an actor and even more especially because people tell me I have a hugely expressive face anyway, then again I probably would miss my emotional sense I'd done facial expressions instead.

There is truth in the fact that sighted people don't learn to use other senses, however equally I wouldn't underestimate the amount of information a sighted person gets from sight either, since there are indeed things I'd love to see.

As I am synaesthesic myself I actually experience colours even when not seeing them, since for me most sensations are colour mixed with tactile, including sounds, concepts, ideas, smells tastes everything! and  is true whether I'm using my remaining vision or not.

I'm pretty certain that my lady experiences colour, both because she's fascinated by the idea! of colour and likes to know about it so has some matchable concepts even though she lost her sight before the age of two and so has no tangeable system for colour, and because she is certainly synaesthesic about other senses as well, so we've had lots of interesting discussions explaining colours.

the best analogy I know is relating colours to music, with pitch representing the brightness of the colour, and the sound of  instrument representing the tonal quality of the colour, and the vibrato or shimmer quality representing the colours glossy or light reflective attributes, so for example blue might be light a clarinet with a dark blue being at the bottom end and  pale blue at the top.

this analogy is inexact for obvious reasons but its probably the best I've found, since it does also let you talk about contrasts, and colour similarities and what not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-22 03:41:48

Dark, completely agreed with you.

2018-04-24 04:01:15

As a kid, I had friends of my parents just grab my wrists and say "Here, feel my face so you know what I look like". It was always very awkward and just wrong. Ever since I was a teenager, I will not let anybody grab me, that's a good way to get your face punched, not felt. I still get people once in a while that ask if I'd like to feel their faces to know what they look like. I have to tell these people sorry, it does not work like that. I just find it creepy and weird. The only face I'm touching is my wife's.

Stevie-3

2018-04-25 09:02:43

Hi.
I'm not looking to peoples.
If i firstly see my friend i only looking to hands, not more because other it's private and i dont like looking to all persons because i dont like of persons looking to me and i suspending that. smile I only looking to hands for example in welcoming time. big_smile

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2018-04-25 09:03:59

other situation is with the best friends or family, for example i can hugging this persons and only that, not looking. big_smile

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/