2018-04-22 00:43:05

Hello, so for a very long time now , since like 6 months ago, my NVDA has gotten this habit of randomly going into a state where it doesn't interrupt its self and cannot be quieted down until I restart it.
What I mean is that usually when I hold down the a key it says aaaaaaaaaa, but if I hold down the a key while its doing this thing it just says one a after the other and won't stop.
Does anyone know why its doing this, or how to stop it?
Thanks

2018-04-22 00:45:29

I have it from time to time, its not often, and when it happens, just restart, I don't know the cause of it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-22 18:29:10

I think it's because for some reason, NVDA, or Windows, thinks a modifier key is being held down when it isn't.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-04-22 18:33:43

Yeah, that's been my guess. I usually get this behavior if I start NVDA too soon after booting, or try to do something else involving a modifier at a certain point while NVDA is loading, or something like that. It's usually accompanied by some NVDA keystrokes not working.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-22 23:34:21

its more like the speech can't be interrupted, also the NVDA key isn't being recognized.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 00:38:43

Priority issues? NVDA not intercepting any keystrokes, and just echoing whatever has focus? That'd only make sense, though, if NVDA's speech interrupting is dependent on keystrokes. I think that might be true, though; the window title hack demonstrates this behavior, if you don't press any keys to interrupt it.
I mean, does NVDA do anything in this state that would indicate it's recognizing any keystrokes? I don't generally leave it like this long enough to thoroughly check.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-23 01:35:53

Yeah if you try to use NVDA commands like that, they act as if the insert key weren't being pressed and they go straight through to the application.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 02:48:00

I actually have this problem on windows secure screens... and can't figure out the cause. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to help either.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-23 03:34:47

I believe that this is due to something with priority and process assignment, and it happens to me especially in older machines with 4 gb of ram or under. Like if you start using NVDA too soon after it just starts up that will happen. I think someone had posted this here in this same forum months ago, submitted a bug report to NV Access and now it happens less frequently. You should search the GitHub bug reports to see if there is anything like this happening still or if its been reported or being worked on, ETC.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-04-23 06:51:56

It still happens with the latest version installed. There is some form of system setting or possibly a file that I haven't managed to remove, which is why this problem happens regardless of how many times I install it. And it's a machine specific problem, because my other computer with similar specs has no problems.

Discord: clemchowder633