2018-04-18 19:45:00

Hi all

This is Erick. I'd like to discuss something very important on here. And that is Star Wars games and how we should make them accessible, or make some for the blind community to enjoy.
First off, yes, we do have a Star Wars game, Clash Of Lightsabers which I really enjoy. However I really think we need to make a huge change in accessibility for Star Wars games like Battlefront. If any Star Wars fan would like to help with this project, you can.

I also had a huge debate on weather developers could make their games accessible to blind people. One of the people I was talking to said no they can't and it will never happen. And that is simply not true in my opinion. Like I said, we only have 1 Star Wars game out there and we need to make more for the audio game community to enjoy. Feel free to disagree with me and all that. But if any Star Wars fan wants to help me you can contact me at:
[email protected]
I hope wed can make a difference. Because if we don't, who will stand up for accessibility?

Remember, may the force be with you!!

2018-04-18 21:03:37

Moderation!

This topic is about games, so needs to be in the general game discussion room of the forum, remember Eric that the offtopic room is for anything not! about games.

Actually there are a few starwars games I think, including the legends of the jedi mud.

Would another starwars game be cool? most certainly.

Could battle front be made accessible? quite possibly. Will the company who made it, much  disney who own the starwars license and come down like the wrath of Darth Vader on anyone who seems to be propheting  Starwars and not paying them actually put time and resources into making battle front accessible? not in a million light years!

Sadly the huge coorporations who make mainstream games don't care about accessiblility at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-18 21:11:46

How can I move it over to the general games discussion?

2018-04-18 21:15:04

Dark moved it. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-18 21:19:05

If you hum the right music to yourself as you play, a surprising number of our games become star wars games.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-04-18 21:56:38

Hi. you said they had other Star Wars games out there, what are the other games besides the one I'm mentioning and that mud? And BTW, I don't think the Mud has sound, so I will not play it because I hate games without sound, they just make me ticked off.

Clash of Lightsaber is the only game I like, but are their any others?

2018-04-18 23:33:01

Well, to be honest there are source codes for old Lucas arts games as the star wars franchise is taken by other company. WHat about digging in to it and trying to make it accessible for us?
I am not in to programming but maybe it could be done.
CHeers,

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-04-19 00:00:14

Well, I don't wanna do programing. I do but I don't. I might have to ask Konsta and see if he can find some of it, because I really don't like finding programing source codes. I'll just wait until the next update of Clash of Lightsabers

2018-04-19 01:50:36

I would love to see the KOTOR games accessible. There was a strategy game by Lucas Arts called Rebellion that I'd also like to see accessible.

Since there are different levels of accessibility, by accessible I mean playable by the blind.

2018-04-19 17:21:03

Lol @Aprone, well my hammer on swamp sounds like a lightsabre so playing swamp using hammer is kinda fun lol.

But, I'd love to see some playable, and properly playable for blind gamers star wars games.

2018-04-19 17:57:21

I agree, accessible starwars games would rock.

The first I ever played was the Atari 2600 Jedi arena game where you had a light saber and had  bounce back lasers from a remote drone that floated left to right across the playing field so that it hit your opponent.
What was really cool is sometimes if you hit fire a lot the remote drone would go absolutely nuts and start chucking lasers everywhere big_smile.
God I must've been about five or six when I played that game, then  again given that my other name is actually Luke I've had to grow up  with Starwars references all my life :d.

then I played the coinop version of the three starwars arcade games for the amstrad cpc computer (think similar to the famous Zx spectrum).
My favourite of these was the one of a new hope where I got to fly an x wing into the deathstar.

Muuuuuch! later (like when I was about 13 in the mid nineties), I got a copy of super starwars for the Snes which I actually still own, and which is bloody awesome! this is a side scroller where you play as Luke, Chewy or Han at various points, go through levels from tatueen to the death star, and occasionally get to fly  speeders or an x wing. I then much later picked up the other two super starwawrs games.

My favourite is return of the Jedi, where each charaacter has their own powers, for example Luke Skywalker has force powers and can throw his sabre, while chewy can chuck fireballs. This is also the only game where Leya is playable and she's pretty fantastic.

My favourite thing about Super return of the Jedi though is putting in the cheat that lets you play any character at any point of the game and doing the entire thick as wickit the ewok!

Wickit oddly enough is the best character in the game. he's so tiny most things miss him, his crossbow is almost as powerful as Luke's light sabre, though unlike the characters with blasters it can't be powered up, plus he can shoot crosbow balts into the wall and bounce off them! big_smile.

I particularly like taking on Darth Vader and the Emperor with wickit since it's hilarious to see the two dark lords of the sith swing around their sabres and chuck lightning and everything quite literally fly over wickit's head as he peppers them with crosbow fire big_smile.

Sadly after that point all the starwars games became too graphical for me to handle, though I always wanted to play Tie fighter, as well as some of  wing commander games.

so yes, an accessible starwars game would get much applause from me.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-20 00:05:44

There's been quite a few star wars games over the years, the Doom'esk Dark Forces series, Republic Commando, Jedi Academy and Outcast. Those last two, Academy and Outcast, had their source code released back in 2013, I think its written in C++? There both 3rd person games not all that dissimilar to Fortnite, if anyones interested in the code you can find the repo's [here] and [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-20 00:16:12

Well, has anyone tried clash of LightSaber’s yet?  It seems like the only audio Star Wars Game out there.  The developer plans to update it. He plans to add a bosses and all that, and I heard there is going to be an online mode.

2018-04-20 09:15:04

magurp244 wrote:

There's been quite a few star wars games over the years, the Doom'esk Dark Forces series, Republic Commando, Jedi Academy and Outcast.

Here's a list of close to 150 star wars games -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of … ideo_games

2018-04-20 14:21:22

Hello,
There was a game called star wars: battlegrounds. It was a strategy game, similar to soundrts. You took control of eiter the rebelion or the empire and had to build your army, while taking sectors from the enemi force.. Battles were fought in space and on the ground.. I'd love to see such a thing accessible.

2018-04-20 15:21:11

I remember that game, wasn't it another Lucas Arts title? That's another Star Wars game I'd love to see made accessible.

2018-04-20 15:30:09

I don’t think we can make it accessible since one. You need a license
Two. You need a lot of money! And, three.  I really think we should [Make our own Star Wars games.

2018-04-20 15:32:53

Thats the idea, Eric. If we do make our own starwars game, we can add features based on some of the games mentioned above.

2018-04-21 13:37:07

hi there! about star wars games. there are accessible games. for example star wars episode III for nds and GBA, episode 2 for gba. then, star wars battlefront renegade squadron and elite squadron for psp. in these  games there is autotarget and easy castomisation of character.  and  some parts of force unleashed for psp. duel mod,order 66 mod. order 66 you must survive waves of enemies. for pc, galactic battle grounds. many hotkeys. for empire at war i developing script for auto hotkey for creating units and technical levels in several maps. space and land battles in skirmish mod. then i heard that in old battlefront2 threre is aim bot. i do'nt know it's true or not.

2018-04-21 14:23:52

That's cool, but I don't have GBA or PSP, so I can't play them. Episode 2 or 3 accessible for the PC would be nice.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2018-04-21 15:49:36

You can just emulate them using mGBA and PPSSPP. Can't give ROM links though.

2018-05-11 05:26:40

what about tactical battle star wars map packs? those are very good.

2018-05-11 07:50:32

Here is three star wars games that I would love to see get made accessible for the blind.
Super star wars, Super the empire strike back and Super return of the jedi.
These games was awesome on the snes.

2018-05-11 14:51:56

Yeah, if those 3 games could be made accessible that would be cool, but having another Star Wars audio game with lots of content, a story, and daily or weekly updates would be great.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2018-05-11 17:03:52

Upvoting this star wars battlefront issue might help this particular cause: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/M … -p/6702683

I spoke to some execs about this exact filed issue this week. If you can think of anything related, please file for it to get visibility.

As always, I can't promise anything, but success is far more likely with trying :-)

- Karen Stevens