2018-04-20 07:20:32 (edited by BlindRainGames 2018-04-20 07:41:08)

We plan to develop MMORPG. So we want to know, which gameworld are the most popular.

2018-04-20 07:59:52

I will admit I voted for the scifi idea since we have fewer games with that sort of ethos, however I'd also be equally happy with fantasy so long as it was interesting and had lots of locations to explore, heck, the same is true of post apocalyptic, although I'd be more in favour of something set in the future a ways after the apocalypse with new societies etc than something set immediately afterwards with zombies or whatever, since there is only so much  mileage you can get out of destroyed streets and barricaded buildings, ----- though again it depends upon how its done since I've certainly enjoyed several games, books etc with that setting in the past.

The only one which is of less interest to me is "real life" since, well I live in real life all the time, though I  there are people here who's mileage differs on this point.

In general though its more how! its done. Is it an interesting setting, do you have unique ideas?
Just a generic zomby land or a cut and paste from D&D or startrek wouldn't be half as interesting as something original with new monsters, new creatures, new locations to visit etc whatever setting that had.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-20 08:10:35

Hey BlindRainGames!!!!

Did you said you guys looking for music composer? I love to do it!!!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2018-04-20 11:34:41

Dragons wrote:

Hey BlindRainGames!!!!

Did you said you guys looking for music composer? I love to do it!!!!

Yes, we'll write to you via private messages.

2018-04-20 12:06:37

That was easy! I'm a huge fan of fantasy, especially those that take place in a medieval setting like Lord of the Rings, the greatest fantasy of all time.

2018-04-20 14:13:01

Dark wrote:

In general though its more how! its done. Is it an interesting setting, do you have unique ideas?
Just a generic zomby land or a cut and paste from D&D or startrek wouldn't be half as interesting as something original with new monsters, new creatures, new locations to visit etc whatever setting that had.

Yes, of course. The setting should be unique. No matter, it`s fantasy, sci-fi or something else.

2018-04-20 15:22:28

I think the fantasy trope is pretty well played and well covered. There are any number of fantasy games and themes. The space tropes are likewise pretty well covered. The one I voted for was post apocalyptic, since I think that one has the least coverage (at least in the audio games genre). Plus it has unique creative freedoms -- you can create mutants, aliens, sientient machines, and any number of other beings to your leisure. There's a certain formula for trolls, ogres, zombies, and space pirates, but there's a lot of freedom in how rampant mutations can carry a species, technology development a race of biomechanicals or AI sentients, or even aliens from outer space which would blend the two worls of post apocalyptic and space.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-04-20 15:31:33 (edited by defender 2018-04-20 15:33:35)

Same Kai, though I particularly like the survival element, E.G. rise from the absolute bottom to the baseline point, then thrive only if your lucky and very good, and pretty much everything is against you.

Either way I doubt I'll play it, MMORPG's are really stale at this point and their are new ones every week, usually essentially the same underlying mechanics, tropes, ETC as the bigger guys, just done not as well.
Plus the play to win business models piss me off, I don't feel like sinking 150 hours of my life into a game that I could be only sinking 30 into if my progress wasn't artificially slowed down in order to make me want to just pay and get it over with.
That and they breed gaming addicts, who are total dicks most of the time to anyone not at their level.

2018-04-20 15:31:39

The thing is when it comes to scifi, we have no mmorpgs based on it.

2018-04-20 15:48:59

yes, after dmnb died we're pretty much out when it comes to scifi MMos. To be honest, we don't really have any MMOS, I mean you could stretch the definition a little and call stw one, and there's rotk but that's more like a masivly multiplayer online role grinding game than anything having to do with role playing.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-04-20 15:57:36

I agree.. One of the things that turned me away from rotk was the grinding and senseless killing.. I would love a more diversse game, with oportunities for the players who really want to rp and with several things to do.
Currently, I'm in a resource management mood, so any building mmorpg would be a good thing for me, especially a age of empires-like game.

2018-04-20 17:31:44

@Xoron, I datke your point about appocalyptic potentially being any creature, mutant alien whatever, but  unfortunately this isn't how it's usually done.
With a few exceptions (flexible survival for example), its just one type of creature  often zombies, and most of the  wordls' ethos is just the same social breakdown with bandits,  fortified communities, remnents of government etc.

That's why I tend to think post apocalyptic  has less  mileage than other games because as your starting with our world to begin with, all of your factions, races or whatever come from our world. aFter all even in a generic D&D setting with your generic dwarves, orcs and elves, you could still stick in a  unique race of cammel people or a culture based on riding whales or something equaly whacky, and of course in a scifi setting the sky is literally the limit as regards races and locations.

Of course you could mix genres, for example have an alien fleet invade the earth and thus include space locations to explore and different alien races as you said, or have a portal to another dimension open and thus have exploration beyond that, but  if your goin to do that you probably ought to just make a game with an alternative setting anyway.

then again of course anything can be interesting if done well and I've had lots of fun with Swamp, a dark room and flexible survival to name but a few apoclyptic games I've enjoyed, its just that to me post apocalyptic is the setting that needs most monkeying with beyond its initial parameters  to offer unqiue  unique exploration opportunities or encounters for the player.

On the question of MMo's being stale I personally disagree. Yes there are muds and  browser games that can vary quite a bit and end up grinds or pvp hacks or forceably rp intensive to the point of irritation, but the only audio examples we've seen thus far have been deathmatch, survive the wild and to an extent redspot (though that is heavily pvp I believe), so we've got a lot of ground to cover and much to explore.

Myself as a single player fan I'd prefer something with lots of exploring, questing opportunities  for crafting etc and maybe some stratogy and management as Kayo said, though me not liking pvp I'd prefer this be cooperative rather than competitive, EG all players are in charge of colony bases on an alien planet that club together and exchange resources to help each other survive, but hay I'm willing to see where this goes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-20 18:12:08

Well, the fantasy thing has been done and done and done. I would be interested in a sci-fi game. Here's the thing though, In my experience, if I tried to do something where I didn't have the vision for it, like if I were to sit down and try to write something, a short story, or something larger, pieces would come together, but really, it doesn't work because things don't really fit together with the ease of puzzle pieces. It's just a weird way of saying I think you and your team should sit down and hash out what you guys want to do before doing it. You have to find your niche, where your passion lies. If, for instance, you start work on a sci-fi game, and find out later that some members of your team would have preferred to work on a fantasy title, well, their work on the one you are currently developing will not be as good. It won't be because they're trying to spite you or something like that, it's just that when you are passionate about something, it drives you, it lights a fire under you and you live and breathe that thing. That's what you need to have, passion. If you can do that, and you have some talented developers, designers, engineers, then you'll probably end up with a great game. They'll want to work on it, they'll feel that need, that drive to complete the next stage of the process.

Now, maybe your developers don't really mind either way, their passion may be writing elegant code that's tight, secure, etc. But you really will want the people working on the map, the sounds and so on to be passionate. And you know, it may not come at first, there may be some initial excitement, or some trepidation, but all that stuff will lift like a morning fog once people hit their stride.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-20 19:14:45

Why not a post-apocalyptic setting where a space-ferring world is invaded by fantasy creatures? This was the greatest city in the galaxy, until the Fire Vampire Dwarves attacked. Now we're trying to piece together the resources normally provided by interplanetary trade to rebuild and overthrow the Skeletal Dragon Emperor, who's actually here because it turns out our FTL drives were shredding spacetime and they came to stop us from crushing the multiverse, but now they can't figure out how to get home and it's been a couple generations already and meh, whatever.
Or, you know, something with more than 5 seconds of thought put into it smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-21 21:42:49

Lol Cae I'd play any game with a skeletal dragon emperor on principle big_smile.
Then again point taken on coherent world and setting with some thought put into it.

Btw, one setting nobody has mentioned is steampunk, now that! would be cool.

2018-04-22 07:20:11

@14, I pritty much liked your idea.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2018-04-22 09:47:58

Xoren wrote:

I think the fantasy trope is pretty well played and well covered. There are any number of fantasy games and themes. The space tropes are likewise pretty well covered.

Agree, but they are still the most popular.

2018-04-22 09:51:33

defender wrote:

Same Kai, though I particularly like the survival element

Oh, yes. The survival horror is our favorite genre. We plan to make something, like classic horrors. For example, Silent Hill or Resident Evil in future.

2018-04-22 10:01:23

ironcross32 wrote:

it's just that when you are passionate about something, it drives you, it lights a fire under you and you live and breathe that thing. That's what you need to have, passion. If you can do that, and you have some talented developers, designers, engineers, then you'll probably end up with a great game.

You absolutely right. We have some experience in gamedev. Well, when "fire" in development is gone, game slowly dies, no matter
how skilled team members are.

2018-04-22 21:48:54

Hello everyone. Karate25 here. I'd love to see a Si Fi world where you could forge your own path. There'd be star ships of course, and not everything would be combat oriented. You could live out your daily life and the world could be uniquely ours and not a clone of another game like deathmatch or one along those lines, and nothing negative about deathmatch or any of its spinoffs. You could also have different planets with buildings on them too and player run cities. Do you want a house near the water? okay well then just buy some land if there is any available and build one and buy the furniture to go in it. Do you want to be a star ship pilot? well then just make your way to the nearest shipyard, find the kind of ship that looks good to you and fly it. And you could have different types of jobs both planet side or ship based that you could earn money for. In fact, the inhabitants of the world could offer you work that they would then pay you for after you do it. The ships could run on batteries too by the way. Just throwing out some ideas here. You can use all or none of them.

2018-04-23 05:37:34

I like fantasy, but more like Final fantasy/Chrono Trigger Fantasy.  Really not a fan of a Lord of the Rings/Skyrim type of setting.