2018-04-18 05:24:05

@JaceK a few questions, because whithout these answers, I can't understand the majority that you are saying:

First. what is a NDA?

second what is the SMS project that you're saying that you where working on it?

Next why the car makers have problems with audio cues on games if that cues aren't of them?
So, if the maker have problem with a audio resource... so, they have to give problems to you  for add some visuals to the arround of the track like ground type, threes,rocks, and other assets. An audio cue will be simple and other more asset in the game.

Respecting the multiply sounds on a game... Well, isn't a very good example, but top speed have various of these sounds that are you saying at the same time, and we can play it without problems. Engine of your car (a fake engine but so well) a copilot, other car engines, and a weather. Add a more audio cue, like the RAD project does, instead of a copilot isn't a bad idea.

But well. Aparently you are turning arround various things of that problem, because a previous personal bad experience, but well.

2018-04-18 08:22:03

An NDA is a non disclosure agreement, it's a legally binding agreement, which is why I had to  check when it expired to explain a few things.

The game in question is Project CARS 1, on PC/console, but don't go runnning off to get it....it's worth....I'd say $5 with the sequel worth about $30

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-04-19 21:43:15 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-04-20 09:06:28)

1. The stuff about volume sliders and engine noise being recorded at a certain distance is straight up nonsense. Volume sliders are a standard feature, they are used by players, and if a blind player needs to adjust volume levels to hear cues better then they will do so.

2. I'm not sure where the idea of narrated menus and audio cues being forced on for all players rather than an option came from, I don't think that's what anyone is suggesting.

3. Licensing issues relate to portrayal of the car being licenced, not audio cues external to the car. A car being pulled because of the wrong interior colour on the in game portrayal of the car has nothing in common with providing audio cues.

In general, the industry has changed quite dramatically since the days of project cars 1. The way that accessibility is regarded and recieved is quite different now.

What's useful for the developers lurking on these forums to see is constructive ideas for how mechanics can be adapted.

The haptic feedback suggestion is an entirely valid example of that, and is already in use in some games. AFAIK that's how blind gamers are playing NFS.

2018-04-20 05:19:30

@JaceK thanks for the answer, with that I can understand a lot, of these things.

But the most interest part of the comment, is that you said that you worked at PC saga, and think that is a bad game.
In the racing games world, really i concider that the PC saga is a interesting and veri good race simulator. of course I'm not concidering any accessibility feature, but as a simulator is better than gran turismo saga. So  I think that.

2018-04-29 20:08:19

Speaking of the haptic feedback, I think that it may be able to work. I do feel like audio cues would work better, but since the xbox one controller has vibration motors in each trigger, that you could tell the direction you needed to turn by the length and placement of the vibration.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-05-21 17:39:28

Hello,
Yesterday, I used Aira to go through a bunch of the menus in Forza 7 on the Xbox. Would people be interested in a bit of a guide?
Just don't want to write something if it has already been done or is being worked on.