2018-04-18 17:01:12

hey how many of you on here have perkins braillers or have access to perkins braillers? And my next question is this... Is there a box I can buy for $300 to $400... remove the brailler bottom, connect components on the bottom of the box to the brailler, set brailler and hard plastic box upright again... connect to computer with USB, wifi, or bluetooth, box has a inexpensive raspberry pie with liblouis and a small keypad attached... also is a downloadable printer driver and service for mobile devices, multilingual liblouis included... and then the box takes over all brailler operation and lets you emboss short documents at a rate of maybe 10 to 15 cps characters per seconds. and for tactile graphics, yes it would be slow, but it would be able to emboss very basic graphics.

2018-04-19 04:57:22

Way back in the early 1980's there was a machine called the Cranmer Brailler. This was basically a Perkins Brailler top and paper roller system, with a totally new bottom, new keys, etc. It was completely computerized, and could communicate with a computer over a serial port. You could also put it in a mode where it acted much like a traditional Perkins. All movement of the carriage was motor driven, as well as automatic paper movement. The problem with these units tended to be that the cables connecting the carriage and paper roller to the gears that moved them would wear down.

2018-04-19 15:19:51

rather than using cables, why not connect them directly and have them moveable on a hard plastic sliding bar?

2018-04-19 20:59:48 (edited by joshknnd1982 2018-04-19 21:00:53)

I got a better idea. Couldn't humanware modify the romeo60 and 1. slow it down to 10 or 15cps. 2. make it smaller so it only takes 8.5 inch wide paper and 3. lower the cost by making such changes?

2018-04-19 23:45:33

Sure, but do you really think Humanware of all companies will do that?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.