2018-04-17 18:33:59

I've noticed my Crazy Party .exe file keeps deleting itself.  Why is this happening?

2018-04-17 19:37:10

If Crazy Party is written in BGT, and if you have an antivirus running on your system, the anti virus is probably deleting it because of a false positive.

This is a common occurrence with games written with BGT, which is why I don't have any of them on my system, Most of them are simply named game.exe and I'm reluctant to configure my anti virus to ignore any files with that name, it seems like a pretty big hole for someone to drive a virus through.

2018-04-17 20:31:20

Well, you do not need to configure an exception as game.exe. Why don't you just make a games folder and exclude that one? Most BGT games are portable so you can extract them into that folder. Moreover, crazy party is not named as game.exe anyways and in fact most BGT games aren't. I only saw Oriol do it and that's it.

2018-04-17 22:35:31 (edited by Orko 2018-04-17 22:36:41)

Regardless of what the file is named, I will only make exceptions in my anti virus for critical, must have programs, and games don't fit that criteria, so if they trigger the anti virus, out they go.

2018-04-17 22:36:50

Lol, good luck with that as more and more software gets detected. I know I will trust my common sense more than any AV with false positives.

2018-04-18 01:35:36

Well, I think I know what was blocking it.  The problem is, I don't know why it keeps happening.  My UAC has started going to 33%.  I turn it down to zero, but it goes back to 33% even though I hit okay.  When it goes to 33, that's when I notice everything is in their except for the .exe file for me to play it.

2018-04-18 01:43:03

As far as I remember, Microsoft security essential does that if you have the self protection enabled. If you are on Windows 10 though, it can as well be Windows defender.

2018-04-18 02:19:02

what I don't understand with this bgt issue is older games don't seem to have this problem, or even older versions of the same game. I have an older version of manamon here. it installs just fine. if I download the latest version, as soon as i try to install it my eset security kicks off and deletes the installer. if i turn eset off and install it, as soon as i try to run it, eset deletes the executable. so why does one version of the same game work fine but not the latest one? does make me think they're not false positives at all.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-04-18 08:00:12

@Orko, your welcome to do as you wish, but letting microsoft's false identification scare you off a great game like crazy party doesn't seem reasonable to me. Since this issue is definitely specific to bgt titles there is no doubt it is a false positive.

The good news is its very easy to fix by just creating an exceptions folder and installing the games in there, which is what I've done, indeed while I don't like the fact that windows defender is flagging things it shouldn't be, I will say the fact that it respects exceptions once made is nice.

someone should however contact Microsoft and point out the problem, since Bgt has already been used to create many games and likely will be in the future, and goodness knows why its been flagged as a virus.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-18 08:25:42

@SirBadger

That's very interesting. ESET NOD32 has never deleted a BGT game from my machine. Granted, I haven't tried Manamon.

As for why a new version of the same game might be detected, perhaps the new version has some suspicious looking code that the old one does not. Some scanners also base a program's safety on a reputation system, so a new version might not have a reputation yet.

2018-04-18 11:33:49

People questioning that it is a false positive is probably even worse than those detections which happen. If we cannot trust reputable developers like VG storm around here then who will trust any new game released.

2018-04-18 11:59:29

I agree Nidza every antivirus I've tried have had false positives going right back to the early 2000's.
Generally when I did! encounter nasty viruses they came more often from websites, and epsecially from add pannels on those sites than from anything I actually downloaded to my computer, indeed I don't think I've ever had an occasion where a game caused a virus, although of course I did make sure to get games from reputable places.

I do actually think we should put together a note for microsoft about this, perhaps with Philip Bennifall's signature, after all imagine the fuss if something like game maker were flagged as a virus?There is no reason Bgt should be just because it makes accessible games and is thus used by fewer people.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-18 12:02:29

We could do it, but indeed we would need Philiph and perhaps he would need to update the engine itself too. There is a page for reporting false positives to Microsoft and developers get prioritized on it, so if Philiph would be interested in doing that it could probably be done.

2018-04-18 12:54:35

My inderstanding about reporting false positives is that unless the developer of the program being falsely flagged contacts them themselves, the report is largely ignored.

It is not the falsely flagged games that I'm being scared off from, it's the idea of opening up a potential security hole that a real virus could be pushed through. I'd much rather not play a game than lower the security of my system by creating exceptions that allow the game to be played that could be exploited.

2018-04-18 13:06:55

'Orko, as far as exceptions go I don't really see the problem here.
I have created one folder on my C drive called audiogames, anything in that folder, be it an installed program or just a portable version I download and unzip there is an exception to virus scanning. This doesn't count any other folder on my c drive at all, everything else is still checked including my regular downloads folder. Since the problem of Bgt false positives only seems to count the exe files that actually run the games, I've not even had to change my download location, though manifestly if something was munched by Windows defender after download I'd just download it directly to that folder.

The problem might come if other parts of the program, EG ap data start being flagged as false positives, since  certainly would not want those to be accepted from virus scanning, one reason why I'd like to try and get this BGt problem fixed.

I'll see about dropping Philip an email and see if things can be done about this.

2018-04-18 18:11:09

Orko, and how exactly are you opening an exploit if you are extracting only the files you know are safe to that folder? A virus can't grab your exceptions list and just push itself into the folder. As Dark mentioned, it will be problematic if games store too much info in app data however I assume those wont ever get flagged because at the end they are not executables which can cause harm to your system, in most cases they are just text files containing the info about your progress. That said, portable games are great since they will keep their data in their folder.

2018-04-19 20:17:55

I'm glad this topic has been brought up, actually, because I have a weird problem.

I got so fed up with Windows Defender declaring games as false positives that I decided to switch back to using Sophos for my antivirus. I remember it having some false positives, but nowhere near the amount that Windows Defender has, and it's only getting worse. So a few days ago I put Sophos back. This cleared up a couple of other issues I was having with my computer as well.

However, even after disabling Windows Defender, it still seems to be eating some of my BGT games. I suppose Sophos could be doing it, since I haven't checked yet, but what makes me think it's not is because each time this happens, my UAC gets turned back on. It goes to 33%, as someone else pointed out. I definitely do not want UAC turned on, and it's a pain to keep having to disable it again. is there some way I can fix it? The main reason I switched my antivirus in the first place was to escape this stupid problem!

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-19 21:49:51

Yes, Windows defender keeps turning on automatically. You must use a registry tweak, and the safest way to apply it is probably by using a program called win aero tweaker. It has lots of tweaks, but the main option you want is disable windows defender under defender settings. After you do that and restart your pc, you should be able to uninstall the program. There are instructions on it's website on how to do that manually too, but it requires some messing so if you have enough knowledge I guess you could do that too.

2018-04-19 22:17:48

Is this Windows 10? In 10, Defender turns off when another anti-virus is installed, or rather it should. Very weird. Mine is off and NOD32 is reported as  the anti-virus.

2018-04-19 22:52:45

I've sent philip an email reporting the bgt issue and sending him the link to Microsoft's report page, so hopefully he'll be able to sort this.

The exceptions folder thing does seems to have sorted things at least for now, though if Windows defender starts going after other parts of Bgt applications than just their exe files there might be an issue which is why its better to get this cleared if we can.

2018-04-19 23:08:40

That was my bad, I didn't explain properly.

I used Winaero Tweaker to disable Windows Defender. When the issue persisted after a reboot, I began to hunt for articles explaining how to do it manually. Since I'm using the pro edition of Windows 10, I was able to make the necessary changes in group policy, but this still didn't help.

Also of possible relevance, I'm already using version 1803. I don't know if the way Windows Defender works was altered in this latest version, but part of the issue I was having with it since performing the upgrade was that it was using a lot of system resources, constantly locking up my system, and doing other nasty things. Now, it is true that I could either roll back my Windows version, or not have performed the upgrade early in the first place, but I chose to do that and for the most part it's worked out fine. I'm really wondering if this has something to do with it, though. I may get my other computer from upstairs and see if installing Sophos on that system has the same results if there is no other way to resolve this, because that system is still running the fall creator's update.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.