2018-04-18 03:43:26

Perhaps you've heard of them, but for those who haven't...

There are many ways to make music, such as voices, synths, instruments, or even every day objects. Another way though is through mechanical engineering, gears, levers, and cranks such as in music boxes. So for those with an interest in the strange and beautiful world of musical machines, [Wintergatan] is a Swedish instrumental band that often highlights such mechanical musical instruments as the aforementioned music boxes, clocks, and more historical and intricate pieces like [these] 100 year old self playing violins.

They also create their own contemporary music machines and instruments however, the first being the popular [Marble Machine] in 2016, which runs off a hand crank and 2000 marbles, followed by a music box and Modulin in their [All Was Well] piece. There's a video explaining how the Modulin works and how to build one [here] if your curious, essentially it being a modular synthesizer played like a violin, hence Modulin. There's another nice megaman piece [here] they play with it.

They don't believe in pay walls or exclusivity and want their work to be freely available to everyone, as such all their music is available for free on bandcamp [here] when released. You can also buy physical records of their music, or listen to them on Spotify or iTunes as well. Currently their accepting donations and support such as through youtube sponsorships for a world tour as described in [this] update, and give regular news and discussions on the mechanical design and development of their new Marble Machine X and other projects/songs.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-18 04:08:40

I saw a video about the marble machine a couple years ago, it was pretty cool and complex.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-18 20:19:06

Yeah I saw the marble machine too, I thought it was one guy not just a band, thanks for the links!