2018-04-17 06:41:46

I've seen this tag floating around the internet, and thought it would be fun to post here.  You can do the questions however you like - audio, video, text, but just figured I'd post it here for anyone who wants to do it.  I did my version of the tag in video form and you can find it here:
https://youtu.be/HZK1XnJuhbk

And now for the Questions!
1. What is your disability and how does it impact you?
2. What is the most common misconception that you experience in regards to your disability?
3. Which misconception annoys you the most?
4. Do you do anything to combat these misconceptions?
5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability? [Society as a whole as opposed to individual work is a good direction for the answer]

2018-04-17 08:07:38

Hmm, maybe I shoudl do my own version of this video.   It'd be a lot of fun. especially knowing my track record.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-04-17 12:32:39

Hey CrystalD and all,
Wow, this is very interesting to me honestly.
I'll do a text version since that's what I feel like doing at the moment smile
So, let me start with the questions.
I am blind, like, totally blind since birth.
as for how does it impact me, of course it does, to be honest I think that every disability impact's the person in someway or an other, no matter how much the person tries to combat that, but then again, the more you try to beat your disability, the more you will succeed in life.
Being blind impact's me in so many ways.
I will try to list a few.
a. Gaming:
I am a gamer, I like to play games, and so being blind, unfortunately I can't play those games I've been dreaming about playing, games like halo, metal gear, cod, gta, and all sorts of games basically.
I know I know, I can do it by just listening to audio and hearing my footsteps and stuff, but still, for me it is not enough.
Some games aren't even playable by blind people at all, like pokemon go for example.
If we're talking mobile, the game either have to be accessible with voice over so I can play it, and if it is not, then I am totally out of luck.

One an other thing regarding gaming, I like to play chess, I know there are some accessible chess games for the blind, but what if I wanted to play against stronger chess engines like stockfish, that's not possible because the gui for the programs that has this engine are not accessible with nvda, so I can't play this way, if I can see, I will not face such problems at all.
b. Accessible software:
Each app I want, if it is a sound editing app, a music app, an app for doing just a surten thing I want to do like managing files etc, or really any app I need to use, it need to be accessible with my screen reader or else I wouldn't be able to use it.

The list goes on and on and on, not just to computer related stuff, even to my personal life, but I will talk about that when answering the next question.

2. What is the most common misconception that you experience in regards to your disability?
I wish I can say just one misconception but unfortunatly there are many.
A. Using smart phones:
People think a blind people can not use smart phones, like iPhone, samsung etc.
If I use my phone infront of a sighted person, they will start throwing all kinds of questions at me.
like, How can you use this phone and you can't see the screen? etc etc etc
b. When going out:
Last September I was in a trip, I wanted to go out to the Dubai mall and pay the appstore a visit, I needed a replacement for my iPhone 6s battery.
I was alone, I booked an uber ride to the mall and went there.
When we arrived, the driver asked me:
How can you go alone?
I told him it's okay and why not.
He started telling me about how big the mall is, and how even the sighted people can get lost in it etc etc etc.
In all honestly, he was right, even sighted people can't move inside the mall with out a map, but say that to an adventurous type person and see if that effects him or not.
I told him it's okay, I can manage, I called one of the secuirty guards and he hhelped me, I did what I had to do in the mall that day and then came back to where I was staying.

I don't use a cane because it is not common around here, and society need a lot of improvement regarding that, at least that's how it is around here.

Honestly, if I had the time to do it, then why not.
Once, I wanted to go to do some shopping, I booked an uber ride, and when we were on our way to the store, he started asking me some questions.
Like how did you book the ride? how do you use the phone?
I started explaining to the guy that we have something called voice over and it can read what's on the screen for us, it can read apps like whatsap, twitter, facebook and even uber.
I can open the app just like a sighted person can, and book a ride just like everyone else does.
I showed him how can I move around the home screen and stuff, and he was really surprised, he was thinking that we can not use smart phones before I explain to him that we can.

So yeah, if I had time to explain to a person that we can do a surten thing, like going out, using smart phones, using computers etc, of course I will be happy to do it.
But tell me how can you combat those who are staring at you while you're using your phone at starbucks, hell, even when I am not doing anything people still stare at me like me being there is a miracle from god.

5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability?
I honestly don't know how to answer this one, but I believe that blind people should start showing that they can do anything they want.
I don't have a solid idea as for how to go with it, but I think no matter what, society will not change, so we have to deal with it.
Honestly, I wish people know more about white canes, and what it means when a blind person is holding one, when that happens, I can happily use one, but for now, it is more trouble than helping.
On the other hand, like I said earlier, on some points, I kind of not blame them for how they think, I mean, if you look at it from a sighted person point of view, and this blind person comes to you asking you can you drive me to the world's biggest mall?
The first question you will get in your mind is how can he move around, sighted people get lost in it, even sometimes they lose where they parked their cars at etc etc.

I know this needs to change, but it's a very, very hard change.
I have a lot to talk about regarding this topic, specially because I like to travel when I can, and this enables me to meet all kinds of people and see how they interact with me and stuff, but that's all for now.
Thanks for this grate topic CrystalD, I believe this is my longest post in the forum smile

2018-04-17 20:41:14

1. What is your disability, and how does it impact you? Visually impaired, though the vision I do have is not enough to do many things. I can read print, but it has to be at elast an 18 point font or I cannot, even then, I have to be less than an inch form the page. I don't see it as impacting my daily life so much as I see it making me find alternate ways to do the things I both want and need to do. It makes me find creative solutions to problems, and anticipate problems before they arise, hopefully I will have a solution by that time. Does it throw odd challenges, yes, but dealing with challenges is part of life for anyone.
2. What is the most common misconception you've heard in regards to your disability? I honestly havne't had this a lot. I don't know if its just that I don't go out as much as other people do, or that when I do, I stick to myself. But I honestly haven't got the people asking me questiona everywhere I go. What I have gotten is this. The old, "Oh, you're blind? So you must have super hearing, right?" No, no I don't, I just use what I have a bit differently. I have to use my hearing as a navigational tool, this means tat I have a practiced ear, that is keen because I've trained it to be so. In fact, I have a bit of a hearing deficit, though none that I've ever taken to an Audiologist. I have a constant tinnitus. sometimes it takes a different form, some days, its sort of a his, other days its a high tone, etc. It is always there though, but I've always had it so I couldn't imagine life without it. It does mask certain sounds, though none I'd need to navigate the world, I am talking of nose in audio that I need to eradicate. So I need to turn up the volume really loud to hear it first.
3. Which misconception annoys you the most? Talking to a person with a disability as if they are either A; a child, or B; suffers a mental deficit, a learning disability, or a lack of intelligence. I don't know where this stems from, but its quite frankly ridiculous. Yes, there are those who are both blind, and suffer from mental conditions which make them of child or young adolescent itelligence at best. I've known one such person. However, this doesn't mean that people should go around treating everyone like that. This also falls into the category of yelling at a blind person as if they are also deaf. I don't know what else to say on this subject, except that it needs to stop.
4. Do you do anything to combat these misconceptions? I would deal with the person individually. I do not take part in blindness advocacy groups, or organizations surrounding blindness or disability, as that type of thing just isn't for me, our agendas just don't align. If the person asks reasonable questions, I will give reasonable answers, if they show their complete ignorance which such broad questions is, "Do you need someone to help you get dressed", then I will be far less cordial with them. Yes, I consider this as a failing in myself, because it doesn't do good for the community as a whole, but I can't deal with that level of sheer stupidity. I don't mind talking about how I do things, why I do certain things, etc. if the person seems legitimately interested, education isn't a crime and I feel everyone should have some modicum of knowledge about disabilities and how they affect people.
5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability? Society as a whole as opposed to individual work is a good direction for the answer. Awareness is key, knowledge helps bring awareness, so anything that can further general knowledge about disabilities is a good thing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-18 00:47:25

Blindness. I can't play many video games and people freak out when I try to go places (varies with setting). Also inaccessible software and junk.

The one where I will surely die if they don't rescue me from the deadly activity of walking.

See above.

Not really?

5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability? [Society as a whole as opposed to individual work is a good direction for the answer]
Meh. I'm sure more blind people out not dying on their way to breakfast, or media representation that gets the point across, but these things sound rather ... well, I only even bring them up because you asked, if that tells you anything?

But wait, there's more!

ADHD. I can't get crap done and I hate it.

That it doesn't exist, or that it's voluntary.

The one where absolutely everyone believes it's possible to just will it away with the power of Choice™ and Effort™.

I use to, I guess, but it's so far outside the typical experience that I got tired of the absolutely nowhere that this was getting me.

I don't even know. Invent a delicious beverage that gives people the same condition for a finite amount of time? Point out examples that aren't just people drugging 8-year-olds so they don't have to deal with them not being drones?  Bleaearghghgh.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-18 01:45:49

I've been blind since birth. I would say that the main impact is that it takes much longer for the average person to take a blind person seriously, no matter how they present themselves. Stereotypes abound, and some people frankly aren't intelligent enough to separate the facts from what they think is gospel.
That we must have some sort of mental deficit because our eyes don't function as they should.
See above, although that's a broad umbrella which encompasses many, many other major and minor annoyances. If I had to bundle it into a nice, neat, crap filled package, it would boil down to the complete lack of boundaries that sighted people show towards any kind of difference, although I can only speak to the annoyance I feel when they do it because of my blindness. For example, it's completely ok for a sighted person to grab you while walking, and you're supposed to grin and bear it because, hey, they're only trying to help. A random person might put their hands on you and pray for you, and you're supposed to be grateful because they're getting their good deed in for the day. Total strangers can blurt out the most ridiculous and personal questions, such as, "how do you have sex?" "How do you go to the bathroom?" And we're supposed to smile and patiently and politely answer, all in the name of being good little ambassadors for the blind. Oh, and, of course, there are the platitudes. "You're so amazing! I can't imagine how you do the things you do. you're a true inspiration!" Meanwhile, you're doing something mundane, like walking somewhere independently. Can you tell how little patience I have for these kinds of attitudes? The older I get, the shorter my fuse grows. I don't know why this is, but it's the truth. Now, ask me reasonable questions in a reasonable fashion, as I said in another recent topic, and I will be more than happy to indulge your curiosity. But please, for the love of whatever you believe in, stop treating me as though I'm a freak show, or that I don't have any individuality of my own.
Not really. I find it exhausting. I suppose it's a bit of a double standard, that I can rail against the people who treat me like I'm some sort of puzzle to figure out, and that they're going to be enlightened once they do, but I don't know what I can say to fix such blatant ignorance. Simple curiosity is one thing, and is to be expected, encouraged, and even commended. But really? Asking how someone takes a dump is nothing short of neanderthal.
Common sense, people. Seriously. It will do you good in all areas of life. No, we are not all like Stevie Wonder or Helen Keller, and that's OK. We vary in what abilities we have. And yes, we can wipe our asses. That is all.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-18 07:53:18

Oh boy, now's my time to bitch and complain and rant, because that's what I love to do. Everyone look out, incoming aerial strike, classified loud and deadly! Get to your complaint shelters! What, you don't have complaint shelters? Well then, I guess your screwed...
I am blind. I have light perception and that's just about it. Apart from the fact that I can't play games with my parents, it doesn't impact me too much.
Because of the fact that my eyes don't work as they should, I am incapable of opening doors and someone needs to rush to my aid so that I don't run into it. Really now? I can't get it myself? Also, people like to talk to me like I'm a dumb ass.
What I mentioned above, but there's more. When About a month ago someone offered to get the door for me. Normally I let people do that but this time I wanted to do it myself, so I told him, "no, I'll get it myself." I started walking faster so that I could get to the door to open it before him because he wasn't listening, but he ignored that too, reached past me and opened it anyway. "There you go." "*extremely exasperated sigh, ticked off* Thanks." I didn't want to argue with him because I was already having a tough morning, and the last thing I needed to hear was a teacher lecturing me on getting angry with someone who was "Trying to help."
Here's another example. A year or two ago, this girl asked me if I needed help getting my backpack off the ground. I usually put my backpack on the floor next to the desk because I like to stair strait in front of me with nothing blocking me from looking forward. Don't ask why, I have no idea. Digressing, she asked me if I needed help and I said no. Just as I start to bend down to grab it, she bends down and grabs it first. "Here you go." "*angry* seriously? Why'd you even bother asking if you were going to get it anyway?" "I was trying to help." "I asked you not to!"
There's trying to be helpful, and then there's blatantly disrespecting someone. These two people crossed the line and disrespected my wish to do shit myself.
Besides anger, not really. What can you do? People don't give a fuck what you say. They'll do what they want and we have to deal with it like we owe them or something like that.
If people wouldn't have their faces literally berried in their phone screens and thought about what they were doing, maybe common sense would be more common. No, I'm not a cripple, don't get the door unless I ask, or you ask and I say yes. No I don't have a mental disability, don't talk to me like a child. I'm 18 years old, treat me like I'm an adult. When someone says no, take that answer. The definition of no stays static, the dictionary hasn't changed the entry for people who are disabled.
Rant over, hopefully no nerves were destroyed during the making of this post. I certainly feel a lot better.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-04-18 08:28:44

CrystalD wrote:

I am registered blind and have been so since birth, though I do have a small amount of vision  my left eye, enough to see colours etc.

CrystalD wrote:

Not so much a misconception specifically, as just the attitude that I am some sort of different species. People generally ignore my existance entirely, or talk to me as though I am the ambassador of some alien species, avoiding words like "see", sometimes they are admiring, often offering help that I don't need, sometimes just plane ignorant assuming that they can assess what I can do better than I can (especially in situations like auditions, job interviews etc), sometimes willfully oblivious to my existence sometimes even down right nasty. but its this perception that I'm somehow a different kind of human that underlays it all.

CrystalD wrote:

The above mentioned perception of difference has huge and wide ranging consequences. I cannot make eye contact so people ignore me and leave me out of social circles, people in power assume I'm automatically far less competent than I am, or be out right prejudicial or nasty, and yes some people even admire me for doing mundane things, but I wish people would just treat me as "me" rather than always having to be "blind" first. Sadly most people prefer to react than think.

CrystalD wrote:

I usually like getting the questions since at the point you get "how much can you see" or "have you always been blind" it usually shows the person is getting over thinking of me as a specimen of homo blindus wierdus, the problem is people need to actually approach me to ask the questions, and most people don't bother, they just pretend any space containing me is empty, ditto with organisations etc.

CrystalD wrote:

5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability? [Society as a whole as opposed to individual work is a good direction for the answer

The plane fact is the perception needs to change, however changing perception is not easy, especially with a government who have a vested interest in scape goating and getting everyone to follow the crede of austerity.
Most blind organisations don't help since they're usually so cliquey that they're insular to the point of thinking the outside world doesn't exist, or  bent on perpetuating the idea of blind people as gentle old people who like to touch the pretty flowers (usually to raise their own funding), that they actually perpetuate sterriotypes rather than combating them.

I'd love to see more blind characters in the media who are characters first, blind second, and see blind people included in public areas like reading the news not as token disability representatives or admirable paralympic athletes, but as people included in doing a job competently.

It would also help if people were reminded about the stupid eye contact thing so that not being able to make eye contact didn't automatically turn you into a no go area, though ass society is increasingly bent  on increasing the amount of none verbal communication I doubt this will happen any time soon, if at all, since of course that depends upon having people's brains work and that is the last tthing the huge companies in charge want.

indeed until the world stops being run by the collective assumptions of everyone and the affect of multinational capitalism on perception I doubt much will change at all, since humans are a pretty crappy species.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-18 11:35:36

5. What more do you think can be done to combat the misconception around your disability? [Society as a whole as opposed to individual work is a good direction for the answer

1. Lost my sight due to glaucoma 3 years ago

2.  That I'm an invalid that can't do anything and need praising for the tiniest things.

3.  See above. Oh and the whole people grabbing you to 'help' you shit honestly pisses me off, or people constantly describing things to you when walking or on a car ride. If I want to know where I am, I'll ask, I don't need to be told oh I'm at X, or oh you're turning right. Or the assumption EVERYTHING I have is only in braille and I must need specialist tech that costs an arm and a leg.

4.  No, because people don't ever change, and I'm talking about older people, who are set in their ways and just dismiss complaints as oh don't start comlaining.

5.  Education, mostly. Educating people

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers