2018-04-14 18:15:56

Hi.
Thanks for your reply. It makes sense. I really hope I'll be able to handle this... I have failed so many times learning a programming language. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-14 23:00:13

OK, a couple of problems. First, I am running the patch just so you know. SO, I can't turn, either with the controls you laid out here, or with my gamepad. Confirming this, the compass always says north. I can strafe, run, walk, etc. but can't turn. Also with the gamepad, you really need to make it so that actions happen only once, and not repeat while the button is held down. Really it fires so fast that even a light tap makes the compass say north like 3 times. Also, whatever that booklet menu is, that goes through so fast with the Dpad, it will say the options, then cancel cancel cancel cancel, etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-14 23:40:37 (edited by Xsense 2018-04-14 23:47:51)

The Game Pad support is not enabled yet.
It will be in the next release as i just finished it.
As for spamming buttons.
That is strange.
As i have button spamming programmer allready and personally have no repeat issues.

Could you check if there is an ErrorLog.txt in your game directory.
And paste the info here if so.

Also what screen reader are you using?
Regards
XSense

Put your coding where your mouth is.

2018-04-14 23:48:54

@SLJ, learning a programming language can be hard; imagine it as a form of rewiring your brain to think like your computer does. I think, personally, that that's what new programmers struggle the most with -- thinking like their computer does. (Though if you focus in math, especially Algebra, a lot of those concepts do apply in programming, such as variables, constants, conditional statements, etc). That's probably why most people who don't want to learn programming that I've spoken to think its either so hard or so mathematically oriented; a lot of the concepts stem from mathematics.
I started a reconstruction of a more advanced SoundRTS in C++ that has since stalled (any who want to help me are welcome to, I'll probably open the github repo at some point today), and so below I've linked a class for menu construction that should ease problems with menus, if your willing to learn a bit of SFML.NET or somehow adapt it for this engine. Do note that it uses the actual FMOD libraries, no wrappers, so you'll need those. The repository comes with them right now (though I'll have to rid it of them due to license issues... they said that I could not distribute the actual libraries along with the game, but can provide installers to them). So I'll keep the FMOD DLLs but not the libs and headers. Sad.
You can find the menu class below:
Header file
Source file
Do note that these two files depend heavily on the games infrastructure and architecture. You'll need to modify it for your own cases. I haven't tested the callback system, because I haven't needed to create a menu that needs it yet, so please, tell me if there are any bugs. (I'd port this to C# if there was a direct translation; alas, there isn't really one. I can try, though.) The main reason I'm releasing this particular set of files on this topic is to (hopefully) assist in the menu issue with direct code examples handwritten by me (though I took some of it from an older project that a friend and I had worked on until we switched languages so I wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel). The extensible menu class was an idea I had to allow programmers a lot more flexibility with menu processing.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-15 00:01:43

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at LunaStories.Handler.Menus.Update()System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at LunaStories.Handler.Menus.Update()System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CCE5B1E5-B2ED-45D5-B09F-8EC54B75ABF4} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at LunaStories.TTSEngine.Speak(String info)System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CCE5B1E5-B2ED-45D5-B09F-8EC54B75ABF4} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at LunaStories.TTSEngine.Speak(String info)System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CCE5B1E5-B2ED-45D5-B09F-8EC54B75ABF4} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
   at LunaStories.TTSEngine.Speak(String info)System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at LunaStories.Handler.Inventory.Update()System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at LunaStories.Handler.Inventory.Update()System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CCE5B1E5-B2ED-45D5-B09F-8EC54B75ABF4} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
   at LunaStories.TTSEngine.Speak(String info)System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
   at LunaStories.Handler.Menus.Update()System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
   at LunaStories.Handler.Menus.Update()

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-15 01:22:02

Thank you for posting the issue.
It seems that the options goes beyond the array count wchich is weird.
As for the issues with keyboard and game pad.
I found out that using both at same time causes issues.
So in next release the game auto detects if your game pad is on or off.
Then if on it will not allow usage and same way around.
This will also fix the spamming issues you get.

Ethan,
I agree with you on learning.
Its a language and just like any language you heave to learn what the word means.
As for the code , i hope others can benefit from it.
I might take a look at it when im less focussed on the current code i am writing.

2018-04-15 01:57:18

When trying to use the numpad for the mouse options. It doesn’t seem to work, but when I use the numbers in the number row for the same thing, that does seem to work. So I’m not exactly sure what is going on.

2018-04-15 02:01:20 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2018-04-15 02:15:47)

It doesn't work for me either, but then again, NVDA intercepts them, however, putting NVDA to sleep should solve it, but it doesn't.

***Edit***

OK, so I tried with the touchpad just to try it. One thing is that I found a key to show a list of things I apparently can track. It makes a ping, but the ping is not directional, its always in the center no matter which way I'm facing. There is also an R key that reads off coordinates, it has the spam problem to, it reads like 4 times at a light tap, tap it or hold it, and it just goes and goes and goes.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-15 02:24:19

Hello,
Thanks again for reporting.
However i have solved these issues on the next release.

As for key interception of NVDA.
I would like to hear what keys would you guys like to use for mouse replacement?

Tell me what you find comfartable to use and does not get into issues with NCDA.
I will soon install NVDA and test it as well.
As my main ScreenReader is Jaws.

2018-04-15 02:45:51

I would just use the arrow keys, they don't seem to do anything in the game right now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-15 03:27:39

You could use the left arrow for left click, the right arrow for right click, the up arrow to look up, and the down arrow to look down. That I think would work fine. As far as the ping when trying to find something, I get the same issue. I can’t really ever tell where the thing is because the ping seems like it’s going everywhere at once.

2018-04-15 08:51:40

i agree, maby we could just use the arrow keys.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-04-15 10:27:32

Hi there, I noticed one thing that I would hope we might be able to change. When you run into an object such as the Kevin wall or the  fence  your footsteps seem to continue on. I think that when you run into an object your foot steps should stop. It would make it more realistic. Also, when you run into certain things, I think each type of thing should have it’s own sound, like when you hit the fence, it should make a fence hitting Sound or when you run into the cabin wall, it might make a wood hitting Sound.  Maybe even things such as gates or doors. They should have their own sounds as well when you hit them. As the cabin door stands, I can’t seem to get to it.

2018-04-15 13:23:44

Thanks for all the feedback.

As for keyboard configurations.
I have installed NVDA and my numpad keys work fine.
Are you sure you have numlock turned on?

For hit sounds when running into something is allready implented.
You can test it by running into the west wall.
Each object allready have their own sounds.
But i have not added the sounds because i am focussed on coding the engine.
But if you want to test it.
go in the data folder.
The in the adio folder add the sound you wish to add for example wall or such.
Then in the data folder > map > sounds
Add the sounds to it there.
But you have to specify the sound name with the prefix of the model name
For example: ThePAssage_fence_gate_hit_01.mp3 etc.
The engine will pick up the sound and it will be triggered when you run into it.

The footsteps stop in the new release.
Due to a modification in the movement system.

I will soon focus a bit more on the development guide.
So everyone can dig into it.
And mess around with it.

The realism is in the engine.
But the focus i have put on the sound realism is lower.
BEcause the functionality has to be done before using  precise and detailed souns.

But everyone is more then welcome to test new sounds and submit them to me.
So i can put them in the releases.

For those interested in the upcoming release.
This is the change log so far.
So that you know what is going on and what is done.

Version: 0.1.5:
Added Full Support for Game Pad (Xbox, Playstation etc).
Added Game Pad Vibration.
Added Auto Detection for game pad.(IF you switch on the game pad , keyboard will be disabled).
Fixed Keyboard and button spamming issues.
Fixed Disabling Trigger After Destroying Object.
Fixed Map Indicator Sound Issues.
Fixed DSP Release issues in main engine.
Fixed Positions for footstep and character collission sounds.
Fixed Weather System issues with DSP.
Refactored Movement Update (Cleanup).

2018-04-15 15:44:39

NVDA won't intercept them if numlock is on, true, but they still were doing absolutely nothing. The only way I could turn was to have the touch pad on.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-15 21:05:10

Hey!
I'm want tryed the game.
But the LunaStories.exe isn't started. Why?
I get the error message, how the program isn't not started, and closed the window.
Error.log doesn't appear to be, and I don't no paste the error message, because the program not starts running.
If you want, then I can help you to find voices, who talk in your game.

Regards,
Tdani

2018-04-15 23:05:00

Hello,
Please look at the installation folder in the game.
And install the .NET Frameworks.

2018-04-17 03:27:59

Hello Everyone,
So time for a new release.
I will now release a full package and not a patch.
This is due to loads of changes to the content and code.
So one package to rule them all right?

Anyways check out the log below for information.

Version: 0.1.5:
Added Full Support for Game Pad (Xbox, Playstation etc).
Added Game Pad Vibration.
Added Auto Detection for game pad.(IF you switch on the game pad , keyboard will be disabled).
Added Few Guides to developers guide.
Added Config for start map and position.
Fixed Keyboard and button spamming issues.
Fixed Disabling Trigger After Destroying Object.
Fixed Map Indicator Sound Issues.
Fixed DSP Release issues in main engine.
Fixed Positions for footstep and character collission sounds.
Fixed Weather System issues with DSP.
Fixed re loading map when starting new game from in game.
Refactored Movement Update (Cleanup).
Fixed sounds when returning to main menu from in game.
Fixed character start position and map when starting new game when allready playing before.
Updated And Activated Tutorial Script. (This is still incomplete).
Updated weather system (Still work in progress).
Updated TTS Engine to speak lines depending on  game pad state on / off , keyboard usage.

Please do note that there are still bugs.
And i am working on them.
However it is always good to report them, because i am sure i missed some.
But just know that this is development.
And its for testing functionality and not sounds itself or the story line etc.
With that said,
The download link is in the first post of this topic.

Enjoy guys,
Hope this one will give you more to test.

Oh and final note:
The next release is going to take a little while.
Because i will be refactoring a lot of code.
Because i want the code to be clean and optimized.
But have no fear new features will be here.
I will finish the complete tutorial script.
And i will be updating the game to its original story line.
Which means, The rusty key will be gone.
And the only way to get out, is to find it.
However it will be in the cabin, where the rooms constantly change.
And the puzzles needs solving.

I wont spoil to much, but it will be more engaging.
So thats what you can expect in 0.1.6.
But for now enjoy 0.1.5

Regards,
XSense

2018-04-17 06:10:59

thanks for the updates! well, lets try these new things now! tongue

2018-04-19 15:46:34

hi xsence, i would like to know if i might make a 2d game with this engine also?
game s like side scrolers and so on?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-04-20 15:13:11

Hello,
With a bit of custom programming you will be able to use it for side scrolling games.
Since it would not be to hard to ignore keypresses for forwards and backwards.
You could simply only use the left and right movement functions for it.
So yes it would be possible.
But the engine itself is based on 3d movement.
So if you wanted to write a game using only the upcoming world editor then no.

But once its open source the capabilities of the engine will be extended.
As i will after full release continue working on it.

So in the future things would be easier for 2d side scrolling games.
And as stated now you would need custom programming to achieve this

Also since i am online right now,
I might as well post the update for the upcoming release 0.1.6 so far.
Note that this changelog is not done and i am working on the new release.
But before doing so i want to implent more functions into it.

So far:
Version 0.1.6:
Refactored: Handler/Collission.cs (Object collision big cleanup).
Refactored: Sounds/Data.cs (Cleaned up loading and assigning sounds).
Refactored: Handler/Compas.cs (Cleaned and optimized).
Refactored: Handler/Input.cs (Now clean and simple).
Refactored: Handler/Indicator.cs (Cleaned and optimized).
Refactored Handler/Interact.cs (Clean and good).

Added Entity find target functionality.
Added entity Trace target functionality.
Added Hide Trigger for models.
Added breathing for running action.
Added breathing for hiding action.
Added heart rate for hiding.
Added basic defense with simple calculations.
Added global function for calculating distance between objects. (All affected classes now point to one function).
Added Static Lists for each sound type (Now it will only need to create the list once instead of creating it each time you want a specific list).
Added static Sound List assigned to each model. (Now we can simply use CurrentModel.HitSounds or BumpSounds etc).

Updated Outside Cabin Script (Water pond, Animals etc).

Fixed Weather system (Now finished).
Fixed Fade Function for sounds. (Release issues).

2018-05-11 09:56:54

You can now find updates and news on my homepage: http://xsense.venict.nl
Here is the latest release change log.

Version 0.1.6:
Refactored: Handler/Collission.cs (Object collision big cleanup).
Refactored: Sounds/Data.cs (Cleaned up loading and assigning sounds).
Refactored: Handler/Compas.cs (Cleaned and optimized).
Refactored: Handler/Input.cs (Now clean and simple).
Refactored: Handler/Indicator.cs (Cleaned and optimized).
Refactored Handler/Interact.cs (Clean and good).

Added Entity Manager (Spawn,Move,Attack,Sounds).
Added Entity find target functionality.
Added entity Trace target functionality.
Added Entity Collission (Intelligent corrections for movement when colliding / path finding).
Added binaural option to sound manager.
Added Hide Trigger for models.
Added breathing for running action.
Added breathing for hiding action.
Added heart rate for hiding.
Added basic defense with simple calculations.
Added global function for calculating distance between objects. (All affected classes now point to one function).
Added Static Lists for each sound type (Now it will only need to create the list once instead of creating it each time you want a specific list).
Added static Sound List assigned to each model. (Now we can simply use CurrentModel.HitSounds or BumpSounds etc).
Added Intersecting sound type (Used for when moving through a object).
Added roof dynamic sounds for weather (Weather dynamically changes according to roof types).
Updated Outside Cabin Script (Water pond, Animals etc).
Updated Collision system (Now none solid object are done).
Updated Calculations for extra reverb effect (Fine Tuning).
Fixed Weather system (Now finished).
Fixed Fade Function for sounds. (Release issues).
Fixed movement system (Speed including stamina reduction).

2018-05-22 07:16:40

awesome @Xsens!

Continue with the good work.
Viewing the webpage to stay in touch with the updates tongue

2018-06-12 02:36:40

Hello, how can I download the game?
The first post doesn't have any download links.

2018-06-12 08:26:30

lucas_kill_09 wrote:

Hello, how can I download the game?
The first post doesn't have any download links.

OMG dude. Read post 47. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen