2018-03-24 21:52:15 (edited by musicalman 2018-03-24 21:56:59)

Hi all,
While browsing the forum, sometimes I want to search the forums for something, but the search link doesn't seem to exist until I log in. This seems pretty silly for people who don't have an account. There is a wealth of information on this forum which non-members are able to browse. It doesn't make much sense why searching isn't possible for them too.

Is it possible to allow searches without needing to be logged in, or is this more to do with how PunBB does things or something?
Thanks.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-04-03 19:14:37

Woopse! apologies for missing this topic.

What had happened is that as Sander had changed the board to make default visitors have "restricted account"rather than guest status, the "restricted" account wasn't  permitted to use the search feature.

its fixed now, and I logged out and checked. Hopefully allowing searching shouldn't encourage spambots, though I don't see why it should.

Btw, one question though, is there a specific reason people don't use the "remember me" checkbox at login to set the cookie to have you permanently logged in? I do it all the time since if I had to enter  username and password every time I came to this forum I'd be doing a lot of unecessary typing, and its easy enough to keep track of your cookies with something like C cleaner.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-11 13:24:52 (edited by cartertemm 2018-04-11 13:25:47)

sort of relating to this: I noticed you weren't able to view profiles unless logged-in. Not that big of an issue, but peculiar none the less. I can't think of any potential security risks that might create

2018-04-12 05:48:06

That one actually does make sense, since if you could view profiles without logging in you could potentially get the forum email system to spam someone, not to mention view people's email and other contact details if they stay public, so even if there was an admin setting for this (which I don't think there is), I probably wouldn't consider changing it for purpose of protecting people's security at least somewhat.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-15 15:41:40

Woopse, much apologies, I set the search permission but forgot to alter the search flood time interval from the default, which indeed is 90 minutes for some very crazy reason!

I've set the search flood interval to zero now so that should be fixed.

Actually I don't really get why there is a restriction on time between searches, since its not like flooding someone with emails or posts or the like.