2018-03-21 02:43:11

I am starting to update an existing Alexa based game and considering some ideas for new games.  I was happy to find out my existing game was on Dark's list and realized I'd like to learn more about what makes an audio game more engaging or less engaging to play.

I am trying to do some reading and get up to speed on the general topic; but, if anyone has a few minutes and would like to share their personal thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Dan

2018-03-21 06:18:30

For me I like good characters and good story telling.  If there's a battle mechanic in game, the battle mechanics should be fleshed out and not boring to play.  But mainly a good story and engaging characters for me, if I don't have those and good battle mechanics the game loses my interest rather quickly.

2018-03-21 08:38:03

That's an interesting question and one I've thought over myself in all the time I've been playing audiogames.

Broadly I'd say it comes down to three things:

1: Atmosphere.

Just as with a graphical game, environment counts, and the more engaging your environment, the more your likely to actually achieve a level of immersion, indeed possibly a greater level of immersion than in many graphical games since audiogames give the player more scope for their imagination, (one friend of mine who is a huge fan of the Doom series once said the audiogame Shades of doom was actually much more terrifying simply because you only heard the monsters).

This obviously goes for sound and music if your creating a full audiogame, but it also counts text.
I can't think of the number  so called text rpgs I've  where the battle boils down to:

"You encounter a goblin with 10 hit points, the goblin attacks and does 2 damage, you attack the goblin and do 3 damage" etc.

What is this goblin? what does it look like? what does it smell like? How the hell is it attacking?

Not to say every audiogame with text should be an interactive story, but certainly the more the better.

Indeed this is one issue with Caves of thorn hill currently, namely that it feels far more like a numeric logic puzzle than a game, ----- which is fair enough given it is! a numeric logic puzzle, but if you were trying for something a little more complex atmosphere is something you should bare in mind.

Second is the matter of judgement.

So often audio action games boil down essentially to audio boppit, just  hearing a sound and reacting asap, while audio or text rpgs turn into snakes and ladders, roll the dice and see if you get lucky.

Like any game, audiogames need to challenge a player's ability to judge a situation, interpret what factors are involved and react accordingly, whether that is judging relative position of obstacles and sounds and how their own actions interact with them as in audio action games, or judging which tactic, maneuver or spell is best to use in a turn based game.

After all which game is better Pong, in which a player must track and judge the position of the ball relative to their paddle, the movement speeds of both and to a lesser extent the movement speed of the other player's paddle, or snap in which a player must do nothing but react according to what they see.
I don't know why people don't assume hand and ear don't have the same coordination as hand and eye.

Another pet peeve of mine (as an rpg fan myself),are games in which essentially the battle mechanics just boiling down to selecting the right equipment and then rolling dice.

After all in medeival days I'm pretty sure the best knight wasn't! the one who equipped the pluss two spiked gauntlets and the plus three shield rather than the one who had the plane iron gauntless and pluss one shield. having combats essentially won between the equipment screen and the monster generator also reduces the player's agency and sense of immersion, since if I am more likely to actually have an ability to affect the fate of the battle by my actions, then I am more likely to be engaged with the battle, ditto if your playing say a strategic building game.

this is especially true of games where the battle text might get repetitive or where players need to kill a similar enemey or follow a similar situation over again, since sitting around and just constantly attacking the same goblin can get pretty boring pretty fast.

In addition to judgement and immersion, another major  in audiogames is ease of information.

In an audiogame players will not be able to  through a huge settings screen with many options, so you need to give players many tools to select options they want and reject those they do not.
Another major part of this  includes the ability to  the game voice up when needed (since the last thing you want is to have to listen to the game voice rattle off information you already know when your just trying to scroll through to the choice you want).

Hope some of this helps.

obviously it also depends upon the type of game your creating, and indeed the platform your using, and if you say a little more about what yor up to we might be able to give some more specific information.

Still hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-22 03:50:51

@CrystalD - Gotcha on good characters and story.  Are there common failings you see in battle mechanics that lead to them being boring?

@Dark - Fair point on platform and game type.  Honestly, the number of false starts I've had on RPGs and other large games is a bit daunting.  For now, I'm looking at writing smaller games on Alexa, since it seems to be something I can manage to make progress on.  I'd like to improve Caves Under Thornhill and I have a couple ideas for similar small games that are, in many ways, also numeric puzzle games.  Perhaps something similar to Lunar Lander or Depth Charge.  That said, I'd love to get to a point where I can build out an RPG or adventure game.

Your point on atmosphere makes a lot of sense, I always enjoyed imagining the worlds in text adventures.  That's a fair point about Caves Under Thornhill.  After reading your review, I played through it with a fresh perspective and was surprised by how flat the game felt.  As a first pass at improving on this, I added a few sound effects, voice interjections, and explanatory text.  I'll admit I'm struggling a bit with balancing creating a more descriptive experience and speed of game play.  That said, I can see improving on "you smell a monster" smile.

Agreed on battle mechanics that amount to random chance and don't really give players a sense of agency.  One of my peeves with RPGs is when I feel like I'm grinding to level up instead of experiencing a story.  Somewhat counter-intuitively, I will say I've found I enjoy the games that take that to its end conclusion and have you equip a party of adventurers who then go off, have their randomized adventure, and then report back.  I guess it's a little closer to playing the manager of a team.  Do you have any opinions on that style of game?

Makes sense on screen options and being able to speed the voice up.  I'm not sure on Alexa how much access I have to speeding up or skipping past text; I'll have to do a little research there.

Thank you!  That definitely helps smile

2018-03-22 13:58:51

Hi.

In terms of team management etc, maybe its that I've played far too many text rpgs with the fairly simple fire and forget battle mechanic, since its a very common one in browser games like crimson moon, alien adoption agency etc, but I do prefer something hands on that gives me a bit more engagement and control over an onrunning situation than just having to sit and equip and wait or constantly hammer an attack button.

actually I don't mind grinding a little so long as it is interesting and has some sort of point to it, for if an npc tells me to go off and slay fourty goblins to keep the population down I'll gladly go and do that, but if I just have to go and slay 40 goblins to get strong enough to move on I'm much less engaged.
of course the better written the "go and slay fourty goblins" quest is, the more engaged I'll be and the more interested to see the next part of the story and thus the more willing to put in grind time big_smile.

I've got no problem with numeric puzzles gameplay wise, indeed they can have their fun moments, but even in puzzles atmosphere actually counts, especially if you put in a bit of random generation. For example, if you had a random cave descriptor in thorn hill that would insert two adjectives to describe the cave your in,

EG "You enter cave 7, it looks new, it is a narrow damp cave" or "You enter cave 12 it looks familiar, it is a  sandy, stalactite cave"

You don't need a lot here, just a word or two, indeed if you wanted to go all out two adjectives would likely be enough as well as one or two descriptions of a monster smell.

One very annoying thing my lady and I have noticed in the past few days is that Alexa is no longer possible to interupt. previously if you sadi "alexa" while it was speaking you could interupt the flow and go on to something else, now it seems to have stopped doing that and rattles on regardless unless you hit the action button.
this makes skipping over the sports news (which doesn't  us at all), very much a pain, and also makes adverts at the end of aps which ask to give a five star review rather more irritating ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-24 03:59:16

Makes sense on the team management versus the hands on games.  I haven't played many of the browser games, so it was a new mechanic for me.  I'll give those two a try!

Yes, I'm with you on the grind - it's much more the having to slay forty goblins just to get strong enough to move the story forward that I was thinking of .  I also don't mind so much if there's a reason and story to it big_smile.

Gotcha on keeping it to a couple adjectives for the caves and monster smell.  I'm going to take a look at reworking the way the descriptions are built to allow for that.  Previously, when I tried for extra text, I think was going way too far.  I like the idea of just a couple extra words to give the atmosphere.

That actually makes me feel better.  Mrs. SwankyGoose and I thought we were mis-remembering how Alexa used to work smile.  We've noticed the same lack of being able to skip forward of late.

Egads!  I hope caves isn't asking for reviews at the end?  Though I've noticed suggestions for other games being auto-appended to the end of the game, so I won't be totally shocked to hear review requests are being auto-appended as well.  If so, I'll have to see if it's something I can opt out of smile.

2018-03-27 11:17:32

Hi.

Well Alexa does seem to be fixed in terms of being interuptable now which helps.
It wasn't so much reviews of other games as the constant requests to write a five star review, or of developers to go and want me to try one of their other games (doubly annoying given that Amazon's silly geo blocking policy often means said other games aren't even   America anyway).

Either way let me know when you've updated thorn hill and my lady and I will be glad to give it a try, ditto with anything else you come up with.

Btw, for team management rpg style games on Alexa, have you checked out six swords?

2018-03-27 11:35:17

Hi.
For me personally a game needs to make a fiew things right.
First is the general atmo of the game, with most games, I just have the feeling of playing these and not be a part of the storie. For me, this includes a natural sounding environment depending on the situation, like if you are in a town, forest, space station and so on.
Second is the music. I have to be honest here, in audiogames, most music for me feels just plane and not really well chosen for the situation. I know, the music depends on the current scene, but still, most games which for example have classical arangements sound like they are composed with a cheap electronic piano.
I myself am a fan of hard hitting, powerfull orchestral scores from composers like Hans Zimmer, epic score, Tomas Bergersen, imediate music, globus and so on, peaces of music which have the quality to let a shiver run down your spine if you hear them, A heroes call is a good example on how music should be done.
Second is the gameplay, as Dark already stated, most audiogames are just a sequence of reaction type mini games. Also, when it comes to fighting, it's mostly a one button mashing, no attack patterns or combos, no attack variations or different attacks with different keys and so on.
The storie also plays a big role, how is the general storie, does the game have memorable characters which trigger different emotions when you interact with them or are they just shells without any notable traits?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-03-27 12:21:44

SwankyGoose, I have played thorn hill with the adaptations.
I do like the sounds and the extra additions (the dun dun dun!" when you smell a monster made me laugh.
My only comment though is that now you  included sounds you could probably trim the game's events a little.

for example you don't need to tell the player "you shoot an arrow" when you hear the woosh sound of it launching and the player has just said "shoot at cave 14" 
In the same way, I like the idea of the missed arrow waking the monster, but why not have an echoing clunk sound? (I'm pretty sure you could find one relatively easily), that way you'd shoot the arrow, here a "wooosh! clunk!" and then "oh no! you woke the monster" ditto with a sound for falling down a pit.

(a crunching sound for getting eaten would be amusing as well, though I don't know how easy that might be to implement).

I'm also not exactly sure on the bat sound, since you hear a gravel walking sound but not the actual bat? That seems a little odd to me, again if you could run across a bat sound that could be helpful.

I think the sounds combined with an adjective or two for each cave would make the game nicely atmospheric, after which you could consider some gameplay expantions if you wanted, or move on to another game.

Btw, one game I've always fancied is a fantasy style board game which mixed minimal rpg elements with random dice rolling and calculated risk, alla talisman or dark tower. My lady played dark tower as a child and really enjoyed it and I'm sorry I missed it and my brother is a huge talisman fan although as with many things there is no accessible version.
Something like that might be a fun addition to Alexa, especially with the popularity of fantasy board games these days.

@Simba agreed on music often providing atmosphere, I'm also a huge fan of film score, James Horner, John williams etc, not to mention more recently Debby Wiseman, however really amazing music isn't something you can just pick up, although it'd be nice if more indi musicians from outside the community got involved with audiogames, heck with a favourite graphical game series of mine, the Turrican series, (exploration platform shooters), there are musicians devoted to just! composing music for indi custom made levels, indeed I suspect many would be glad to help with audiogame music.

I'm not sure about attacks and combos though, since not every game has to play like a beatemup.

The main problem  a lot of audio action games is simply one of being a little too straight forwardd with controls and attacks. You press forward your character moves forward at a fixed speed, you let go, your character stops instantly, you hit attack, your character attacks and anything in range gets whacked.

That's not however how most graphical games, even 2d platformers from the nineties work.

Look at original marrio brothers (still one of the best put together games of all time).

you press forward, and marrio doesn't just walk at a fixed speed, he starts slowly then accelerates until he's at full speed. He also has a stopping distance, meaning that if your running towards a pit or an enemy,  can't just let go of the forward button.

Marrio's jumps are similarly mechanically complex. if you tap the jump button he goes up only a small way. if you hold it he jumps higher. Then of course you  hold forward or back in mid air while marrio is jumping which dictates the arc of his jump. So if you just want a little one block hop you tap jump while holding right, while if you want a high jump that doesn't go far to the right you hold jump but tap right, while if you want a long jump over a wide arc you hold both buttons, plus of course, how far marrio jumps also affects his stopping distance, meaning that frequently you can clear an obstacle, but run straight into an enemy if your not careful.

And we haven't even mentioned the run button yet, which not only makes marrio run faster and jump higher, but also increases his stopping distance to the point that frequently you'll need to tap backwards after a run to avoid marrio skidding all over the place, ---- plus of course Mario's taller, thinner brother Luigi, though he jumps higher and runs faster is even worse for stopping distance.

There is no earthly reason why! an audio 2D side scroller couldn't have complex movement mechanics, even if showing objects vertically would need to be done with a bit more care, heck there is no earthly reason why a first person game couldn't have these sorts of movement mechanics (remember those jumps in quake).

And all of this is before we get onto attacks, since manifestly if your swinging a sword you need to calculate the time it takes you to swing the sowrd, the range of the sword vs the distance of your enemy etc. The same goes for bullets, from a projectile weapon indeed in a game like old space invaders it was tracking the speed of your bullets vs the movements of the invaders that made things such a challenge.
Some audiogames have done this (audiostrike, alien outback), others however less so, and certainly not quite enough in a platform game, indeed I notice that in most audiogames  people have messed around with attack range and occasionally rate of fire, actually having the delay, the time between when you launch an attack and when it actually hits is not something people have played with at all.

None of these are unsummountable problems though, all of them just take a bit of more complex coding, for example coding an increasing walking speed vs a constant one and adding a bit of  distance, but for some reason, these are things people just don't think of.

maybe its that a lot of audiogame devs haven't played some of the basic mainstream games like Mario that have these sorts of concepts, or maybe it's that I over analyse too much, either way it all comes down to the above mentioned problem of "judgement", judging stopping distances, learning game mechanics etc.

2018-03-27 13:50:46

@9
I can certainly agree with audiogames lacking in mainstream-style features, one of many reasons that I rarely play audiogames unless they actually interest me (stark contrast to before the advent of accessibility in console gaming, but that's another topic altogether).

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2018-03-28 01:08:37

People have been saying  ever since I first was on this forum that audiogames need to be "like mainstream games" by which they usually mean have hyper complex beatemup mechanics with 30 different characters, all with move sets or varying mechanics, or have super  hundreds of hours of branching stories with random content, thousands of monsters etc.

one thing I'm increasingly thinking though, is that before we even touch the idea of resources, audiogames frequently don't get right the very basic things.
A game like Marrio brothers can be hugely engaging now, heck look at the popularity of arcade type titles on the Iphone. The problem though is it needs mechanics that challenge a player's judgement and learning skills, rather than just their quick reactions as I outlined above.

if audiogames can't sort out the basic mechanics, then even if an audiogame were! produced with a mainstream style budgit and resources, you still would have essentially a very complex, wonderful sounding boppit, heck to an extent that was what happened with games like pappasangre, and why I'm so eager for potential audiogame devs to have a history of what has been tried before and some ideas of basic game design concepts so that we can! move forward with the resources we have.

2018-03-28 01:56:32

@11: Amen, Brother Dark. ... That sounds like the title of a novel. hmm

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-28 11:02:28

@11
I agree that for the audiogame market to progress from what I would personally consider to be a stagnant state that it's been in (aside from a few innovations) for at least a decade, audiogame devs need to be aware of what mainstream games have done before.  Given that's unlikely to happen until mainstream games become fully playable without sight (which admittedly might not be too far off), I think the best option is to just play mainstream games and go from there, though I can understand that many audiogame devs either don't want to or have issues with integrating with sighted peers in terms of gaming (I've seen all too many instances where individuals turn round and say "well no, I won't play this because I need sighted assistance all the time").  Though understandable, I believe this dogmatic approach might be holding development of truely interesting titles back, but for me, it doesn't really matter if the audio-only scene stays where it is or not, though of course I'd like it to progress eventually but that really might be a little too optimistic at present.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2018-03-28 13:44:49

As I sit here and muse on my next project, got to say, this discussion is extremely valuable.  I am still very much a beginner, with limited knowledge and limited time.  Dark and folks, your views are helping me in my current thoughts on choosing my next direction.  Any thoughts on real time versus turn based? Also while a team can bring forward an engaging game in a year, do you consider a worthwhile contribution can be made with 2 months free time of one individual?

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-03-28 14:29:07

I'm afraid sightless combat, that playing a mainstream game with sighted assistance wouldn't convey the sort of mechanics I'm talking about.
Lets take a simple example because the sort of thing I mean is not something that can be explained, but something that needs to be seen and experienced.

to take a simple example, in original mega man from 1986, the boss cutman would react to your movements. If you were close to cutman, he'd jump away, if you were a distance away he'd throw his rolling cutters. The rolling cutters fly in an arc like a boomerang, thus meaning if your too far away they'll arc up and hit you.

So what you need to do is constantly adjust your position to cutman's. When he comes towards you you move back, when he throws his cutters you need to judge their angle relative to you and jump them. Also bare in mind Mega man's jumping mechanics are as complex as marrio's, that being that you don't just get a fixed hight jump, you need to hold the jump button and the left or right buttons.

Now, theoretically you could have a sighted person saying "hay he's in front of you, jump back. Now shoot! now run backwards" or the like, but you would always be working on that person's reactions, you would not have the experience of tracking the position of cutman, and mega man and cutman's rolling cutters, and the potential firing range of mega man's megabuster.

This is what I mean by "mainstream" mechanics, and playing with a sighted person just won't cover it since you need that instant capacity for judgement, to actually experience all that spacial data going to your brain, which is just not something you'd be able to experience if someone else were describing.

The other problem with mainstream games, as a yardstick for audiogame development is of course the resource problem. Most people say "mainstream games" and mean something huge and complex, and bemoan the lack of hugeness and complexity in audiogames.
In all the time I've been here though, what strikes me is that audiogames need to get the simple things right first, and the basic design down, after that we can worry about not having millions to spend on development big_smile.

I'll also say though that the situation of audiogame development isn't half as dire as it was in 2006, indeed the word "stagnent" is one I'd disagree with, not with the amount of games produced now,  recent games like A hero's call, manamon  and crazy party, not to mention all the releases of games on platforms like Ios and alexa that run with speech.

2018-03-28 18:34:41

@15
Ok.  I think a couple of wires might've got slightly crossed during my explanation.

I believe there is a misconception that in order to even enjoy a mainstream game, you have to have a sighted co-op partner for the entire experience.  However, I have had success within multiplayer environments with indirect sighted assistance, with things like Gears of War 4's Horde mode, doing my own thing strategics-wise and doing relatively well.  I've even had sighted players compliment me on my skill considering my lack of sight as well.

I did also mention in my previous post that the market has been stagnant aside from a few innovations.  One such is A Hero's Call.  I would not leave a game like AHC out of the list of innovations, believe me, as it is a product worthy of the price and more in my opinion.

It is certainly a subjective topic, as games that run on speech-enabled devices I often think of as a more novel experience rather than something fully serious, if that makes sense, similar to some games on IOS where you pick it up, put it down, come back to it after months because you forgot you had it then realise you might be better starting again (see Zombie Exodus Part 5, though the Choice Of games are very much a different type of game that's in a class of its own for numerous different reasons).  It's also dependant on what kind of experience players are looking for but I won't go into that here for fear of insighting some kind of flamewar, something that you and I and certainly others here don't want to occur.

However, I appreciate your example and calculating where objects are in 3d space is a very satisfying process even if the figures you work with are educated guesses.  Take, for example, when you throw a grenade in a game like Gears or Halo.  The grenade won't necessarily go straight ahead.  If you have, for instance, a couple of enemies a distance away, you have to work with the enemy audio and figure out what direction it's in and how far the enemy is away, as well as whether there's cover between yourself and the enemies in question.

That then leads to how far you need to look up, which can be dictated amongst other things by sensitivity of controls and how close the enemy actually is.  What I'm trying to say during this rather longwinded example is that mainstream games, whether played with a sighted player or not, still allow the learning process to change from hear sound/push button to hear sound/figure out distances and other attributes/line up as best as possible/fire weapon.

That's of course not counting the additions of any accessibility features to future games in any genre, including FPS games, side scrollers etc and the efforts that devs are going to in order to accommodate those with visual impairments or without sight. Take, as my final example, Way Of The Passive Fist.  The game, whilst it did have an accessibility consultant, was mainly focused on everything but players without sight.  This, the developer has admitted was due to a lack of knowledge of a segment of the potential market who would really enjoy the game.

The game, by the way, is a side-scrolling +up/down movement brawler, in the style of arcade games like Streets of Rage and Double Dragon.  It is currently mono-only combat audio-wise, but the developer does want to, if they can, implement directional audio and other accessibility tweaks and if they can't, they intend to keep accessibility to players without sight in mind for future projects from the beginning at least.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2018-03-28 19:24:38

I would agree you can learn audio reaction times in a mainstream game, however, my point was not specifically to do with whether playing mainstream games with effort was worthwhile or even possible (heck I've done so from a low vision perspective myself), my point was more about the sorts! of information and spacial judgements that players of mainstream games will instinctively make which have been thus  been lacking in audiogames, judgements which are based around apprehending current information and translating it into the physics of the game world.

the cutman battle in mega man is a good example since it only involves three basic objects. The player, the boss, and his weapon, in  entirely 2d field. There is no earthly reason why! such a battle could not be programmed in audio. However, though a game like superliam appropriated some of the basic elements of this battle for bosses like airbot, the physics, the need to make judgements, the apprehention of information just was not present precisely for the reasons I stated, that audiogames have not featured the basic mechanics.

For instance, how much harder would a boss like Airbot be if instead of Superliam's jump property simply being either A, walking on the ground and thus being hit, or B, off the ground. How much harder if superliam actually jumped in an arc. meaning that to jump over Airbot's charge you wouldn't just need to hit jump when he gets close, but calculate the relative running speed of the boss vs the relative arc of Liam's jump.

Explaining this makes it sound a little cumbersome, but you see what I mean. Most so called "video games" with any sort of action focus from Pong to gears of wor essentially work on the same principle. They present the gamer with a situation contining a number of moving  with a simulated physics and movement patterns, and work on the user's ability to understand that physics and react according to it.

it is the physics, ie, the movement of objects and players that in audiogames to me has been so severely lacking and the thing I'd most like to see more often as far as action titles go.

A similar principle I believe also applies for textual games or turn based games in terms of calculation of factors vs learning the mechanics of the world, though since the sorts of engagement players have with a game like final fantasy ora hero's call are so vastly different from any action title that would likely take another discussion, quite aside from the audio/text distinction, a distinction which is admitedly becoming a little less serious these days I'm glad to say now that games using text aren't confined to old dos console affairs, interactive fiction or browser games.

2018-03-29 02:43:15

@Dark, I'll give six swords a try, thanks for the suggestion!  Also, thanks for playing Thornhill with the updates, glad the "dun dun dun" got a laugh smile.

Makes sense on trimming the narration back now that there are sound effects.  Let me see what I can turn up on crunching and a missed shot clunk noise.  The bat sound was a bit of a miss then - I was hoping it sounded like a bat's wings as it was flying.  Let me try a sort of chirping noise instead and see how that sounds. 

Oh wow!  I'd forgotten about Dark Tower but I can see where that could work well as a game for Alexa.  I'll have to give Talisman a look as well.

2018-03-29 14:47:09

@SwankyGoose, if you made an alexa version of dark tower you would make myself, and my lady extremely happy, especially if it had the ability to play with two human players so we could play together. I've always wanted to play that type of game.

As regards the bats, perhaps a bat squeak sound would work a little better? I'm afraid the existing one sounded more like gravel crunching underfoot than wings to me.

You could also consider altering the gameplay by increasing the number of cave connections or  the number of bats or pits in the caves, or  introducing the original rules whereby the wumpus moves if you shoot an arrow into the wrong cave as an easy mode.

the zcode version of hunt the wumpus had some interesting varients on cave layout see This page for the download and some reviews

Of course even with a couple of extra cave adjectives for description and some good sfx, there is only so much mileage you can get out of a player, numbered caves, one arrow, a couple of pits, some bats and a wumpus, so if you did fancy moving on to another project such as the fantasy board game I'd be up for that too.

2018-04-04 01:22:02

@Dark - I rolled out a new version of Caves Under Thornhill today with a bat squeak noise, the missed arrow noise, and monster eating noise as well as some randomized cave descriptions.  Also, I'm trying out the idea that two caves out from the monster you encounter bones in the caves.  I could see in the future offering a few different layouts of caves or adding the moving wumpus option.

That said, I agree with you, there's only so far one can go with the core mechanic.  Also, Caves is two years old now and a bit tied to the original APIs, it'd be nice to play with some of the newer code for a bit big_smile

Making an alexa version of dark tower sounds like it could be a lot of fun and I like the idea of building something that supports multiple players smile

2018-04-10 08:59:27

Hi.

An the new version of thorn hill is lots of fun, I like all the cave descriptions and the bones make things feel nicely ominous, the monster munching also made both mrs. Dark and I laugh big_smile.
If you do come up with an alexa dark tower or something similar that we can play together would be cool indeed.

2018-04-10 16:51:23

@Dark: Gamers aren't spatially aware. You've never played much CoD or BF then have you? smile On those games people do the stupidest things and you think they'd know better....but the best example is Minecraft. You'd think people would see the fact they're by a cliff and stop digging their way off it. Not at all. I've lost count of the people on various servers who quite happpily run off cliffs or jump into lava thinking they're further away...then wonder why they died. I'll admit that's my speciality. You put me on a MC map and I will, without fail, die by jumping in lava. It got to the point that I built a thauncraft lab on a server with a lava moat to protect me, I had pistons set up to act as a bridge. I'm telling you, 20 people thought if they jumped across the lava it wouldn't kill them...meantime I'm sitting back in the lab hearing the pain sounds and counting the idiots. Fun times tongue It got to 100 people who tried it beore I raised the pistons, told the  next guy if he could jump to the stone steps I'd keep the pistons raised. He jumped the wrong way and died. Suffice to say...that proved how spatially unaware gamers are...or on GtAO I can go on for an hour and lose count ofthe people who don't know where they are by the fact they rely too much on the map. It's like yesterday I got another player to move somebody's car on top of a skyscraper because why not. That player took a helicopter up, got in the car...drove it off the side and blew the car up. Then said the map said he wasn't that far off the ground. /sigh

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-04-10 17:03:02

Also, @Dark:

the problem isn't the physics, I witnessed first hand when the Deathmatch series went to first person. Everyone was excited about the move....then whine and bitched and moaned it was 'too hard' to learn FPS navigation...despite not having a mouse, despite having a key to know what direction you were going in, despite being told repeatedly what to do, a lot of people simply gave up on it because it was 'too hard', insert air quotes here, to learn. I feel that's a part of the  issue, that blind gamers are  used to certain things and that they don't like new things. I'd rather have, to use your Cutman example, an Earthworm Jim game with accurate physics, or a Bomberman with the same tight controls and mechanics.

I do think though that audiogames are too flashy and such now, it's all HRtF this, binural that, LAV this this and this. I'd much rather hav a simple core game that's actually sucking me in without flashy stuff getting in the way. It's why I prefer games like Sonic or Megaman to later platformers, It's why I preer Civ IV to V or VI, it's why I prefer stuff like WC3 or AOE2 to modern strategy games. Those are all games that get the mechanics right.

To me, coming from a lifetime of playing videogames, audiogames are so underwhelming and disappointing, it's IMO like being handed a game made for children when you're used to better and more interesting things. I do feel that there's nothing that's worth my money, my own  money IMHO, yes you may rave about AHC but I've played D and D based games, I've been a DM on D and D campaigns, I've seen it all before. To me it's nothing new, it's just boring to me. I'd much rather have....well...

I love Cities Skylines, it's a city building game that's addicting as all hell, you manage your city from the ground up but you don't manage everything, you build roads, you zone along roads, you build power lines, you unlock things for getting to population milestones.

I would love a well made, deep, engaging audio city builder like that, but I look around and think where's it going to come from? Nobody here impresses me enough, IMHO to say yes, I want X or Y to make this game. I just feel like audiogames are more toys, IMO than serious games. Yes that can be leveled at videogames as well, I mean, I can point to half of Steam's store and make that accusation, but....

Let's take something like one of my favorite games....Septerra Core, RPG. Okay. It has great writing and great mechanics. I'll look at AHC. It has the same mechanics at a base level, it has flashes og good in the writing, but overall....the writing isn't standout, it isn't incredile, it's IMHO serviceable for the game. That's more a fault with games though, the stories are so predictable.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-04-10 23:00:19

Interesting discussions here. I know its been a while since I've been here, but I do check in to see whats going on.

Engaging the players is something I have been reminded of lately, not just grinding, but doing something with a purpose. I agree! Whether its a variable scavenger hunt, or the new martial arts type non lethal combat. It should be interesting, and not the same old thing.

I am still having mixed feeling on soundpacks, although I know some like those very much.

2018-04-11 10:18:26

@Jase, my point was not that sighted players are! spacially aware, just that the sort of instant spacial judgements and apprehention they make are not based on a simple reaction test. It is the fact that such judgements need to  learned and practiced that is the reason why games like mega man, mario brothers and indeed all those 80's hard as nales arcade classics were so addictive.

In terms of physics that is what I meant, not first person mechanics specifically, but physics that use factors such as character movement, stopping distance and the actual movement  objects in space to challenge the player's judgement, not to merely present them a boppit like challenge.

I think your being a little unfair though in categorising all audiogames as "toys"

I myself came from a mainstream background, albeit due to graphical complexity and reliance on text my game playing stopped at the 16 bit era, and for me, audio and screen reader acessible games were the first chance I got to play! things in first person.

Shades of doom impressed me with its layout  mechanics, and swamp even more. Zero site (a sadly under rated game),requires a good amount of knolidge and practice and if you think all audiogames are that easy you should try some of the esp pinball tables, heck that was one reason I loved audio defense on the Iphone since that actually required physical movement, and of  there is bokerano daibuken 3.

it can! be done in audio, I just wish it was done a little more often and that  would concentrate a bit more on the simpler ends of gameplay and how to engage players judgement rather than being focused on either ramming in as  much content as  possible without considering how players will engage with it, or assuming that all difficulty comes from reaction times and nothing else.

Lastly on the matter of writing, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you there since a lot of mainstream games, even best beloved ones had pretty terrible writing, hell much as I love the mega man series I can't say any have a stellar story.

yes, you have your grandia and final fantasy 7 and xenogears and dark souls and such, but those are exceptions not the rule, plus of course in all those cases the stories had a semi professional writer just! dedicated to actually writing the story's plot and text.

Actually thinking about it maybe that is part of the problem, people good at making games aren't necessarily the ones good at making stories, ---- or at least people who do both tend to go off and write gamebooks or the like instead big_smile.

@Sentori hope this topic was useful, I do enjoy considering what makes games engaging, and indeed I often wish people would think about this a little more in the real world, since if many  jobs were constructed on the basis of appealing to people's judgement and ability to learn, rather than assuming a gross boardom/reward model of repetitive action in a production line style system,  people would be much happier.

Then again before this gets too heavily into marxism and alienation of labour methinks I'll stop big_smile.