2018-04-07 08:19:31

Ayo people. I've been real into Drakor and Kingdom of Loathing, although I've been having a loooot of trouble with KoL unfortunately. I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for other browser based games. Not necessarily fantasy themed, but something with some depth to it.

2018-04-07 09:01:04

core exiles,or for the life sim,popmundo

2018-04-07 09:19:31

those are basically the only two browser games I could recommend. Core exiles for the staggering amount of things to do in a scifi based setting, and the same thing with popmundo if playing as an artist trying to make a name for themselves in the music industry is your thing.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-04-07 20:11:35

tau station is also going to get far more complex watch this space on that one.

2018-04-07 20:22:44

to be honest I don't really enjoy it, from what I've seen of the alpha. Don't get me wrong, the writing and stuff is amazing. Very imersive, very atmospheric. However there really isn't much to it from a gameplay point of view, once you've done all the missions you can find on one station for yor level you just hit the same buttons over and over till you level, and stop playing every so often to recharge stats.

2018-04-07 20:57:20

I tryed the alpha of tau too , and I quite agree with connor, it is     basicley do stuff till your stats/focus run out, wait, or eat ration to quick restore.

2018-04-07 21:55:33

I can't speak on tou station, but browser rpgs I've enjoyed in the past have included Core exiles (definitely at the top of the list), Puppet nightmares, great if you want very tactical combat, detailed mechanics and a good story, though bare in mind this  can get somewhat adult in places (think of it as Pokemon's evil big brother).

I also really enjoyed Monbre, though development on that one is slow, and if you enjoy KoL I can recommend metroplexity as a game with a similar interface but without many of the flaws, plus a more interesting story.
I also spend some time with twilight heroes which is again a superhero mod of KoL though that was less my thing personally.

Crimson moon and alien adoption agency are okay for a bit of fun if you just want to hit things and do a little exploring, ditto with vandetta crime.
Torn city has lots to do and while it'd gone through an inaccessible phase with nvda and chrome it was okay provided you don't mind hyper complex pages.

Sryth had its moments, but when I checked again earlier this year it still seemed to have the same problem, namely charges for in game items that were insaaaaaaaane! and in game content that forced you to buy them by being waaaaay hier than any equipment you could find in the game  making it a major pay to win game.

I have recently been checking out animal acres and Elvio which is another pet game though on those I can't say since they are slower based.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-08 00:28:26

I used to play human+age but it's dead now and parts of it are breaking and aren't getting fixed. It's a shame because it's something I wanted to do  as it vaguely has a life simulator. You start in stone age and then you work at your character until you have enough stuff and go on to the Celtic age. You keep going until you reach age 10 (I never got past age 1 and there was never any time past age 7 developed) but it was still cool, with increasing complexity with each stage. It's a waste of time now. as it is so broken now and development is dead.

I'm thinking of trying Torn City, but I was wondering if anyone had one that had a lot of skill development and wide assortment of things you could do without the crime element? I'm not into gangster games that much and would like something different. And I'm not a huge fan of future/sci-fi games either.

2018-04-08 15:16:02

i agree currently with tau station but over time I think more stuff will get added in

2018-04-08 15:38:54

Puppet nightmares is very heavy on skill and tactics, especially around battles, indeed its got probably the most complex battle system of any browser game I've seen as well as lots of tra activities from cooking to breeding your soul puppets, although it is primarily an rpg and battle game.

Drakor is also great for tactics and extra activities. I also heard good things about iranorth lost tales ( might have the wrong spelling there), though I never got around to trying that one.

What I've always wanted to find myself is a scifi themed game with actual single player stuff to do, Its always irritated me that every game about space colonization is always a pvp hack with basically who can minimax the best.
I'd love to see a game which actually was! around founding a colony and dealing with an alien environment, trading for some resources and making others, discovering things on your planet etc, but sadly I've never actually run into one, the closest was probably Wayfar1444 mud, though that lost a lot of interest once you'd actually built your colony and has sadly dropped off the map now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-08 18:20:51

actually decided against Torn city, sounds as I looked at it too criminal for my liking, and more importantly, crazy pvp which I tend to hate.

2018-04-08 18:33:55

Well pvp wise, Torn city is one of those games where losing really means nothing at all, ie you use one revive item and your okay. #Then again Torn city is one of those few occasions I've run into an online community who aren't pleasant, ---- for example when i ran across a comparatively rare item and was trying to trade for it, someone pm'd me and tried to con me into selling for 2500 k when the item was worth about 40000 k from what I gathered on the wiki.

The crime ethos is pretty  strong though there is also a lot of plane life stuff, like havingg a job, doing courses, owning businesses, playing the stock market even betting on sporting events  etc, though obviously the basic nuts and bolts of the game do revolve around comitting crimes and that hole gang land ethos, which isn't as much my thing either.

2018-04-08 20:37:54

the thing is you won't get very far in torn unless you commit yourself. If you fuck things up, you can easily spend months trapped on one level without being able to advance, also I do think if you lose in combat you actually do lose xp. As for things like factions and the like don't even bother joining them unless you're really into the whole pvp thing because faction war is how most factions gain respect and advance in the rankings. So if you do join a faction that is activly involved in wars, be prepared to spend a lot of time in hospital unless you or your faction have a steady supply of meds available. Deception and conning are a thing in torn and that's why you should know what you're doing. Usually if someone makes you an offer that's too good to be true it is, just like in real life. Things to avoid for example are people that will give you money if you attack them with say fists only and lose. What's probably going to happen is you lose, then you become a punching bag for a while.

2018-04-08 21:23:11

Hello Dark or whoever is listening.

Thinking of getting back in with Draker. I played it when it was really new but since then kind of stopped. That Iranorth Lost Tales thing? Could you please help me get the right spelling I keep googling it with varied spellings but can't find it at all. As I haven't tried that one whatsoever, wanted to give it a try.

Thanks.

2018-04-08 22:22:45

Hi.

Iranorth is here

I always meant to go back and give it a try, since I was too busy getting used to nvda when people were playing it first time around.

I'll also mention warriors 2 (which has a db page), as a very well done rpg similar to kingdom of loathing but imho rather less hit and miss to play.

2018-04-10 01:47:26

I really do enjoy Core Exiles, but I've been having account problems. Trying to login after a while my password didn't work and when I changed the password, that didn't work. Idk if my account got removed, but it wouldn't let me make a new account either.

I've had a shit ton of problems with KoL that I don't even know who to inform about. Whenever I login, I can only see the character stats frame of the game.

2018-04-10 09:54:44

speak to coops about it he'll help you when it comes to core exiles. he's friendly enough so don't see why he wouldn't help there.

2018-04-10 11:20:41

Hi,

I agree with darren on this, coops is a very cool guy when you have questions. Or if you are in a guild, you also can pm your guildmates.

About koL, you can ask your questions via the chat, keep in mind you have to keep an eye on the chat, to be able to spot the reply, cause the chat can be very hectic every so often in my oppinion.

hth

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-04-10 11:39:34

I'll suggest one I play ona nd of, Immortal Nights, it's like one I played before but less dramatic and you don't die. I have a character on there I need to get back into at some point when I got time, It's actually strangely relaxing to play, you don't have the drama but you can just log on, play or a while, jump off again.

Second suggestion, if you want to interact with people and learn to RP well...Bloodletting.org

It's set in a world of supernatural creatures in a war for surivival. I played it for a few years and got to crew second, twice. I managed to start a war without doing anything, amazingly. The PVP in BL is a strange one. You get attacked and beaten but you don't die. You simply get put down to 1hp and you go from there. You rank up by doing everything from posting in forums in character to suggesting stuff for the game, to voting on it, to crimes, or leaving comments on profiles, even reading and opening mail.

There's a lot to do in both games so check them out. Fair warning.Bloodletting is not for the faint of heart and I can't remember how well the menus work with a keyboard but if you mouse over them they SHOULD work, if it's still the same layout. Also if you play BL and encounter the little girl, advice from an old player, do not tangle with her until you've trained up your attack and defense a few hundred times. No, that's not a joke, the guys at AMS constantly seem to make her harder and harder every few monthss.

try both, see which you like. If you do end up playing Bloodetting, pick your sanctuary or coven VERY carefully, not many will let you leave  i ya don't like it. I got lucky and landed ine ones I got along with the leaders in but not everyone's that lucky. Or go solo but you're AFAIK limited to a certain rank without a crew but you can start your own crew if you want one. Be preepared for a crapton of backstabbery, politics and general shenanigans from the other players. That being said a ton of the old guard did quit.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-04-10 15:04:38

tried Erannorth two days ago and again yesterday. I can't get it to work at all even to the point of starting my character. Got my account created but can't do anything else such as select my gender, get the basic starts out, so I don't even know anything about the gameplay as I can't even get to that point. Many buttons aren't labeled clearly though I know what the tabs at the top do except for one of them.

Played Drakor for a little bit 2 years ago but got back in at your suggestions with a vengeance and am loving it. Can't figure out how to pick a title though. Some helpful players who don't know screenreaders tried to help and I think I got it, but it might be the case that I have no titles to pick yet.  and that is why I couldn't pick one despite all their helpful advice. Also having some combat trouble with a boss monster, but they told me just keep playing until you get some good crud as gear and spells and then that boss should be beatable, even though if I understand, it will always be it's current difficulty in comparison to me.

in a few minutes off to kill monty python style killer rabbits as one of the Easter quests I want to finish. And maybe rescue some more baby chicks to finish the world event.

2018-04-10 19:04:47

that's strange, I've tried erannorth and layed it heavily a bit further back in its development. A friend of mine actually contacted the dev about accesibility and changes were made very quickly. When I played everything could be navigated just fine and everything was labeled as it was supposed to be.

2018-04-10 21:18:01

the top tabs on the screen are labeled "unlabeled" 1-4 and right now I can't click on the third one, and I can't find the character button at all to get my guy started. I can look at some stuff that has my extended stats, but I can't do anything. I have my account, they call me 'bookrage the wanderer" since I haven't selected a class, but I can't do anything.  There are unlabeled buttons elsewhere, but not too many. I can see my inventory, but can't even get in there to select my gender/race/what romantic preferences I want, and all that stuff.

if someone knows what is going on, please tell me. Frome even what I've seen in the stats, it looks cool.

2018-04-10 22:09:01 (edited by JasonBlaze 2018-04-10 22:30:07)

wierd, I just tryed erannorth and it's work just fine here...
all the buttons are labeled
although yeah, the layout is kindda wierd

2018-04-10 23:57:32

Honestly, you're not missing much. The game is littered with typos and bad english, and the story is pretty nonexistent beyond a few very short paragraphs once in a while, it's very grindy. It's a neat idea but I wouldn't recommend it over all.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-04-11 01:06:24

Hi all, I just started playing on Kingdom of loathing about a week or so ago, I'm at level 7. But my question is, where are the flaws in KoL? Not sure what  you mean by flaws here.
I have a couple of chars on Twilight heros also, but I'm liking KoL better, probably cause there's a lot more players to interact with. And they're some really nice folks too! Of course there's very cool people on TH also, just a lot less players in general.

Thanks
smile