2018-03-29 14:27:30 (edited by G-Rad 2018-03-31 05:53:37)

I did some series of tests with a sighted friend that helped me   render some of my first YouTUbe videos in Sonar, but since I changed  softwares and DAW, I  am now using a very different setup, and since I've seen some posts about video editing, I thought I would share my  setup here.

THe video software I use is  Reaper, Windows Movie Maker 2016, and for some stuff  and screen cap, I use OBS.

When making my YouTube videos.

My videos vary on how I do the processing, but the end is generally the same.

1. I record the video with my phone
2. IF needed, I record the parallel Audio in Reaper.
3. I download the video from my phone to my PC and if needed, render the Reaper audio.
4. I create a new Project in Reaper and  import the video and  if needed, import the  audio
5. I line up the audio with the video and then trim the excess
6. Depending on the video, I will add additional narration or sound efects.
7. I render the new video with the  qt/mov/mp4 setting
8. I drop the new rendered movie into Movie Maker and publish using the YouTube settings, to reduce the file size without losing   quality as much.

If I am doing a screen cap, I will use OBS instead of my phone to record the video, but the rest applies, except I don't have to record parallel audio in Reaper.

For downloading youtube videos, I use YTBMP3.com  Works nicely and I can grab a whole playlist.   It even numbers the videos in the playlist and gives them ID3 tags.

WHat you generally see in my videos:

For my drum cover videos, you see me playing my drum kit and the angle is coming from my hi-hat side, my left side, and  slightly behind me, giving you a view of the whole kit.

For my Video game cover videos, you see the reaper project open on my desktop. Simetimes I will  create a dummy track with a piano on it that  shows the song lead sections being played on the keyboard with visuals.

Hope this  thread helps someone.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-03-29 14:59:33

Hi,
How do you record a vid with the phone? For instance, where do you put the phone, etc, once you launch the camera app or whichever app you use, to make sure you or whatever object you are using, can be seen?

2018-03-29 16:44:19

My question would be how you line videos up with audio without being able to visualy see them. I have a galaxy s8 which would be more than sufficient to record, but am not all that sure about positioning the phone in proportion to myself. This is why I've gone for straight audio on soundcloud most of the time if I do covers.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-03-29 18:24:47

assault_freak wrote:

My question would be how you line videos up with audio without being able to visualy see them. I have a galaxy s8 which would be more than sufficient to record, but am not all that sure about positioning the phone in proportion to myself. This is why I've gone for straight audio on soundcloud most of the time if I do covers.

You could have a mic plugged in & recording your voice
At the same time as your phone
So can line up both audioes & then mute the videos audio

2018-03-29 20:13:22

Regarding how to point the phone: if it's an iPhone, voiceover should tell you when it sees faces. Even better would be to use Seeing AI, for more detail. You wouldn't do this while recording, of course, but use it to learn how it works. Then maybe try taking pictures and get Seeing AI to identify them, and the closer to what you intended, the better. Once you're good enough at that, you should be able to do it without spoken feedback.
It sounds like the phone is stationary, so it seems likely that there was some testing to determine the best position, then it's just a matter of reconstructing the setup (big, unmoving furniture is great for this).
If you're using a webcam, laptop built-in camera, an Android, or iOS11, you could use the vOICe. Yeah, it takes a ton of practice to use it for detailed information, but you don't need that; you just need a general idea. Keeping the camera stationary, then moving around and listening for changes, is enough to figure out some basics about where you are on the screen, etc. It's far from fool-proof; I tried this with an elaborate setup involving a Ninja Turtle and construction paper, (and it was Michael Angelo, which matters because orange), and while I got a picture of said Ninja Turtle, close to center, not much of his legs were in frame, which I only found out when I put the photo on Facebook to ask if my predictions (I was testing other things, too) were correct. (They weren't, because I couldn't distinguish the orange in Mikey's bands from the yellow-orange of his chest/abdomin with Iodimony.)
Ultimately, easiest will be to get sighted help, but if you can't / won't go that route, something in the above should help. Maybe. Hopefully.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-30 06:12:48

As for lining up the audio and video, the mic on the phone records, so I use the  phone audio to determine where the video is, and line the  DAW audio up with it, then mute the  phone audio as mentioned above.

As for positioning
i use the facial recognition on the iPhone, and  look for a complete face in the  opposing diagonal corners.  TOp right and bottom left or vise versa.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-03-31 04:58:31

This is my same setup for making videos too glad to see someone else use the same methods.  I use sighted help for lining up the video though, I'd be interested to hear in more detail how this AI thing works for positioning - is there anything to download onto your PC to do this with?  I use a webcam when I record video, but I do visualization videos for my videos that I'm just doing oo and aaaah sounds with on my video game covers.  Kind of fell off the wagon with recording myself on cam though, need to get back into it lol.  Hope we can all share good tips in this thread and see what we all use!

Also yeah I line up the two audio sources and make sure they are in sinc, and that's how I make sure my videos look ok because I always record video after audio.  Pretty easy to do in Reaper

2018-03-31 05:53:04 (edited by G-Rad 2018-03-31 06:16:53)

Well the AI thing is called Seeing AI and it's an app on the phone.  I'm sure there's some form of software for windows for webcam users.  I never  really tried that though.    I do want to get a webcam  though so I can do some videos easier.    FOr me using the iphone separately with Reaper in the background helps with  recording and makes everything work in streamline form.

When I do my video game songs, I  use my OBS method.  Just works.  I never thought of doing something with visualizations from some form of media player, seeing as I have the dummy track with the  piano open for visuals to show the song being played.

Here's my link to my YouTube videos with all my video game songs I did, and, well I have more on my PC and may upload them now that the idea of using the visualizations on the media player comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … smSvx4gzkc

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-04-01 06:43:31

The visualization method is great for when you just don't  have a reason to do a full fledged video lol.  That and using stock footage are my two go tos when I just want to put something quick together in movie maker, but I do want to try using OBS to record a Reaper project.  Do you just use window capture?

2018-04-01 20:53:56

I use a screen capture because if I just use a Window capture, I'd have to make one for every plugin that I use in the host, so I just do a screen capture so I only have to make the one screen cap and it captures my whole desktop.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-04-10 04:58:33

Neat trick with using the phone audio to line up the separate audio tracks, didn't think of that! I use a Zoom Q8, myself. It uses the same interchangeable mic capsules as the handheld Zoom recorders which I had already, as well as a pair of combo XLR and 1/4 jacks on the back. It has a touch screen, but once I had someone set it up as far as activating the timer and setting format preferences, it's as simple as hitting the physical record button. I have an adapter that allows me to mount it on a regular mic stand, and I keep a dedicated stand for it that I've got marked for the proper height and angle for shooting my videos. You can set it to record your audio into your video, which takes all the guess work out of aligning, or you can record to a video track plus up to four audio tracks simultaneously which would still allow you to get multi channel audio that starts and is synced to the video track.

Los Angeles Based musician, blogger, and programmer.
https://artistibarra.com/