2018-04-06 00:02:40

Okayy I bought nuance a while ago. its installed on my laptop, mrs. Dark's laptop and my desktop and has worked fine.
howeverr I was just writing a post on the forum and suddenly pooof! nvda stops working, I actually thought it was my keyboard.
I had to reset windows with the power key, when it comes back Nvda has defaulted to espeak.
I tried reenabling both the addon and the driver, and reinstalling the addong but nothing.
The Nuance configuration isn't showing up in the menu, it has just gone!

Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened? This is most annoying, and if its nuance license activation system that has played silly beggers (I had this on my laptop actually but in that case I had to reactivate the license) I will not be pleased.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-06 11:31:43

Dark, does it happens with all the three computers you've mentioned? If it happen on one computer, have you try deleting the NVDA configurations file in the "%appdata%\nvda\?" It seems that your NVDA configurations file has corrupt or something.

2018-04-06 20:10:40

Hi Socheat.

nope, this only happened on one machine, but your suggestions about the configurations file is a good one, since I've reinstalled both Nvda and the two addons and its not helping.

I'll go and check users/ap data and try that.
I'd rather not  lose all my nvda addons, but I'd rather have my vocaliser back.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-07 04:59:03

Yeah, also, be sure to shut down NVDA before you delete its configurations files. Just use Narrator or your preferred screen reader of choice. Otherwise you might lose speech.

2018-04-07 20:45:30

Okay I am now back on my windows pc as opposed to my laptop.
I deleted the Nvda.ini file from the Nvda folder in users/my username/ap data/roaming/nvda, but other than resetting all my formatting options etc, it didn't seem to change the state of nuance at all, the addons are still showing as loaded, but no options are appearing to use the thing or options on the menu to activate license etc.
is this the configuration file you meant? or was there another one.

I also tried deleting the Nuance ini file, but again no good (so I restored it again just in case).

Any other thoughts?

I did contact tiflo and they suggested the same thing, but either I deleted the wrong file or something else is wrong.

I suppose I could try deleting that folder in roaming then removing Nvda with C cleaner and  installing everything again completely from scratch, rather than installing overthetop of my current copy, but I'd rather not do that since I have several addons I like and it'd be something of a pest, plus it might not actually solve the problem if there is another ap data file I'm missing.

2018-04-07 21:08:55

I wonder if something is corrupt in your NVDA folder? Have you tried backing up the NVDA folder and deleting it from Application Data? I recommend quitting NVDA and loading up Narrator while you delete the folder. Try to install the Vocalizer add-ons once you restart NVDA. If the issue goes away, something must have been corrupt in the folder. You will have to install all your add-ons and configure your settings from scratch, but it should be worth it if the issues are gone. I believe the Vocalizer add-on also creates a file in the Roaming folder under username\Application Data\Roaming called vocalizer.ini or something like that. Delete this as well if it's present.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-04-07 23:48:14

Are the Nuance voices normally available from programs other than NVDA? For example, would you normally be able to access Nuance via the text-to-speech options in Windows, or with Narrator, or with games, etc? If so, does it work there, or is it just broken all over?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-08 01:56:08

@CAE Dark is using the NVDA driver. If you want a SAPI 5 version, check out www.harposoftware.com where you can purchase individual Vocalizer or Ivona voices.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-04-08 16:13:55

@Cae yeah, I am using the Nuance driver for Nvda, though I will say at this point I am slightly annoyed that their licensing system means I can't just install like any other voice, since if any other voice addon died it would be comparatively easy to fix just by removing the addon and installing it again.

@Chris, okay I tried cutting the Nvda folder from ap data/roaming, then running Nvda and reinstalling, but still nothing at all.
I sent a copy of the Nvda log file to nuance, and hopefully they can fix since it is showing an error with the global classes pyk file with reference to that vocaliser.ini.

one question, if I backup that ap data addons folder, will it backup what addons I have installed?
If so then doing a completely clean install of nvda and vocaliser would be no problem, I'd just rather not have to wander the internet in search of addons again if I can possibly avoid it big_smile.

2018-04-09 14:45:50

Well it turns out the problem was not with Nvda, but with the vocaliser license (bloody hardware specific license keys).

In fairness Nuance got back to me pretty quickly and gave me another license application so I just had to delete the folder in ap data/vocaliser for nvda, and then reactivate my license on this computer, so everything is thankfully back to normal now and will hopefully stay that way.

Actually, being without it makes me realize how advanced Vocaliser is these days as  compared to the Orphius I was using, in pronunciation, word choice, punctuation etc Vocaliser these days is just a better engine quite aside from the fact I am used to using Daniel and have the various volume levels of games and my computer and such configured to take advantage of it.

2018-04-09 16:04:33

That shouldn't have happened unless you changed something in your computer, like upgrading RAM, switching out hard drives, etc. If you hadn't done any of those things, and you were just using it and it died, I have no clue, that's just odd, and doesn't inspire confidence in me. DRMs are becoming more and more restrictive and who pays for it, the end-user. You can't stop piracy, you can try, of course you should, but you're never going to stop it. so, the more you clamp down on your DRM, the more you're hurting your paying customers, but you're not hurting the pirates, because cracking groups will just strip it out of the product and upload it. This is where publishers have big cock syndrome. They feel that bulge in their pants and feel like they know all, so they don't listen to their engineers, their designers, their developers who know a thousand fold more than they do.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-10 10:10:01

No idea why it failed, it was very odd indeed.

I'm not a fan of drm as regards most creative content such as music, films etc since in those cases it seems that the redistributor, who did nothing to make the actual item is just attempting to squeeze the maximum amount of cash possible from other people's work through use of an artificially restrictive redistribution system that costs little to nothing to maintain and is all about squeezing the customer (one reason I don't use audible, Itunes or similar).

In case of software though, considering in most cases the redistributor is also the program's creator, or at least maintainer, I'll put up with a little more security provided it does not interfere with my actual use of the software in question and provided the developers do their job in terms of support, since while you can't stop all pirates, you can at least  prevent casual copying, and after all I'm willing to support program developers and maintainers especially with something that contributes to Nvda (my wife and I also give monthly donations to Nvda as well).

In fairness to Nuance in this case they got back to me quickly and helped me  fix the problem, which is just what I want when I've  bought a piece of software.

2018-04-10 19:09:34

The DRM requirements are, as far as I know, Nuance's job which they required from Tiflotecnia for licensing. The older version 2 of the driver just used a simple name/key system but it got pirated to hel and back they stepped it up for Version 3. This is still not as bad as the Vocalizer driver you can get from code factory, which even though uses a newer version of the engine is poorly coded and includes far more draconian DRM. It needs to be activated any time you want to use it in a portably NVDA instance, it likes to lose activations at every tiny thing like big Windows updates and they are so afraid of someone attempting to crack it that their DRM system will automatically kill certain applications that could aid in making a crack like debuggers which are also used to develop software. So if you're a programmer you literarly couldn't do your job with the code factory ad-on installed. They used to block running on Virtual Machines too, but quickly changed course on that after the rather large group of Mac blind users who virtualise Windows sent them frustrated Emails.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-09-17 16:37:13

Well this has happened again! 
My lady's laptop crashed just after I changed over my vocaliser license to a new email address so once more I've had to email them.

I suspect the solution will be exactly the same, delete the ap data/vocaliser folder and restore the license, but I'm rather irritated that for the second time in less than a year I've had the exact same problem  entirely due to a hardware restrictive license system, especially when I was trying to actually be good about updating my email address. Oh and yes, I know that technically my wife is a second user and so I should buy her a separate license, but hay I only have two machines so there is no point one license standing idle.

In fairness outlook is probably the ultimate culpret here, since it crashed like a bastard just before this happened, forcing me to use the hard reset, aka the power button, indeed my lady will probably be switching to thunderbird soon, however its still irritating that its the anti piracy restriction that is once again getting in the way, and for the second time in a short while.

2018-09-17 16:46:18

you know if they don't update that add-on quickly when NVDA 2018.3 comes out you will lose your ability to activate it... The wx upgrade will break all old add-ons. NVAccess is really trying as hard as they can to depricate all old or unofficial add-ons.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-09-17 17:07:31

Why the hell are they doing that? that's bloody stupid, and not the sort of behaviour I'd have expected from them. Frankly I really like the addons I have vocaliser included (at least when the damnable thing works).

Actually speaking of that the thing still! isn't activating correctly, god knows why even though I've just emailed nuance and deleted the vocaliser for nvda folder.

I've got several programs with hardware specific licenses, but I have to admit this is one of the worst I've seen for going wrong.

2018-09-17 17:55:04

Okay it turned out the issue was actually that the vocaliser addon needed updating. I've just done that and everything is now absolutely fine.

Presumably if the addon is continually being updated in this way, it'll be updated to cope with the new changes, though I will be disappointed if my addons for things like vlc mediaplayer, Dropbox, winamp, Thunderbird, interactive fiction, speak copy and pastes etc will all go bye bye.

2018-09-17 18:19:42

The WX changes won't affect every ad-on, just the ones that display some kind of user interface. So any ad-ons which don't display anything like a few of the ones you brought up will work fine. Many others that people use have already received updates, IE JGT or instant translate. The one major one that hasn't yet had an official fix is NVDA remote.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-09-17 18:31:38

Ah good to know, I was more worried about the program related addons like Winamp, Vlc, the interactive fiction  interpreters one  and dropbox.

2018-09-18 20:30:38

@Dark #19: Sorry for the off-topic question, but which NVDA plugin is helping you playing interactive fiction games? I was out of luck with Mr. Gomez's plugin... Thanks in advance.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2018-09-19 01:56:50

eIts the interactive fiction addon by Nick stocton. You can find it Here on Gef retcowski's Nvda addon's page

No  offence to Oriol, but I've found it vastly superior with not just Winglulks, but other if interpreters as well.

Hth.

2018-09-19 04:22:44

@Dark in response to why NVAccess are deprocating old addons and updating to WX 4.0, they literally have no choice. All this hinges on the fact that in 2020, python 2 will be discontinued. SO, they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. They've got a relatively short time to do a lot of work in.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-19 05:09:31

Hello:

If you are looking for a nvda remote version that works with nvda 2018.3, download this version: https://jennios.com/remote.nvda-addon

2018-09-19 13:39:33

If it is the licence thing, just crack it.

2018-09-19 18:13:30

Will Vocaliser still work with the new addon format?
Also, regarding cracking, absolutely no way.