2018-04-07 15:37:19

Hey there guys, karate25 here. I've been reading this topic and I personally think it brings up an interesting discussion, and while I'm not a kid, but rather a 34 year old man, I'd like to personally discuss why I love online video and computer games like muds Etc. I'm not really a big fan of these online shooters like redspot and others but that doesn't make them bad, it just means they're not my cup of tea. I love muds and virtual worlds like second life and others if they were playable, (are you listening Star citizen?) because they quite literally allow me to live out my dream life. I love Achaea, dreams of divine lands for example because in that mud I'm a paladin living in the city of Targossas on the side of law and order and in my house, the harbingers, I'm climbing up the ranks very quickly and really fitting in with everyone both in my house and my city. I'm very well loved and respected there. It's letting me do things and live the kind of life that I'm not able to do in the real world. I'm also going to do my part, no matter how small it is to see mainstream games and virtual worlds be made accessible. I have a dream and I know it may take awhile but I believe with all of my heart we will eventually get there. I've joined up with a program that able gamers have put together called the player panels program in which you're able to work with companies to make their games more inclusive for people with disabilities. My dream is to be able to sit down in front of either a gaming console or a computer at will, pick up a game, regardless of its mechanics or play style, whether it be a shooter or an rpg like skyrim or what ever the case may be, and play it right alongside my sighted counterparts with no sighted assistance needed what so ever. I know we're not there now, but I truly believe with all of my heart that we will get there if more people like me and some of you in our community get out there and make our voices heard. Incidentally, I will go and get this link for this player panels program and share it on here for you all to get involved in should you so wish it. It's all very accessible to a screenreader, and this organization is very near where I live actually which I thought was pretty cool. Have a wonderful day to you all, and I apologize if this post seemed a little long. I just have lots to say when it comes to gaming because it's my one true passion.

2018-04-09 15:07:12

Hello everyone. Finally I'm back to replying it was a long time away from Audiogames.net. I have been playing games like Redspot and such, but hey I think each time we grow up we gain more maturity. I took off my hands from those games.
Because it is like someone telling you come on I have sugar for you, that sugar will be sweet for a few days, but when you learn the game, which is the sugar, it becomes salt. Because there is no fair controll, especially if the developer doesn't mature or comprehend the suggestions, or the things that are being talked about.
Please refer to with age comes mindless stupidity on blog.blackscreengaming.com and I will quote you some of the interesting things that need to be said. Note that I am not going to be responsible for any outline badlanguage if there'll be any.
Someone though might tell me why do you bring this here if it is not your opinion? Well shortly I'll tell you if I believe in something which someone else has said then it becomes my opinion too.
Quotations.
"I know this post is going to piss off people, more than likely allot of people. If you are a teenager, I’m fully expecting you to get upset. This is not my intention however, as I am actually not saying anything bad about teens, rather my intent is to highlight how people are acting because of their politics. As will be normal for these rants, you can expect a few sections. First a ranty part, then a perspective after stepping back and detaching my emotions, followed by a conclusion."
"I was a Teenager earlier in my life. A big secret that everyone has seemingly managed to forget. Every current adult of every age was also a teenager, and every one of them can remember what it was like. I will go more into this later as this is completely mind boggling for me.
Most importantly, I am not writing this because of the current topic which started this whole rant. If you read this and think it is because of gun ownership and the issues surrounding it then you are simply using that as an excuse to ignore what I’m saying because of your political stance. I can separate the two, if you can’t then that is your issue not mine. There is a difference between using something as an example to illustrate something, and blindly backing a political ideal just because it aligns with your personal beliefs."
"Everyone is fully aware of the horrendous shooting at Parkland High school, and the discussion which has grown out of it involving guns, access to them, types of guns, and everything else. No one is questioning that the kids at the school went through a horrible experience, and everyone feels terrible for what happened. I have to say this because without a doubt some fucking dip shit will say I don’t care about the kids and the families who have suffered because of what this disgusting garbage human did. The resulting discussion is perfectly fine, reform is fine, but what is not fine is everyone drinking a giant glass of cool-aid and suddenly pretending that teenagers as a whole are the most mature and smartest age group in the world. I honestly can’t even believe that this has to be said, but guess what, teenagers aren’t. Can someone in high school have good ideas? Sure. Can someone in high school be politically or socially active? Sure. Does this mean teenagers are acting like adults and adults are acting like children? Shit no. How can I be so sure about this? I have never met someone who lives life wishing they were as smart and mature as they were in high school, and always regretting how stupid they have become as they get older and experience more of the world."
"The most well accepted known thing about a teen is how they always believe they are right, even when they are clearly wrong about something. I’m not even talking about some brainless hormonal zombie who can only think about getting their genitals in contact with another brainless hormonal zombie’s genitals. Even the most level headed teen is still a teen, and guess what, their brains aren’t fully developed for another 7 g-d years after they graduate from high school. Has every adult blocked out their late teenage years? I know I haven’t, and because of that this is completely fucking mind blowing to me how everyone can insist that teenagers are the brightest group of humans on planet Earth. Tell me, why didn’t they allow the kids to fix the Virginia teachers union strike? I mean, it effected them more than anyone else, shouldn’t the kids have been the ones being interviewed and picked to fix the problem? Of course not, who in their right mind would of done that. But wait a minute, it is okay if it is another topic, one that has a group of very vocal kids who align perfectly with another group’s views? The test for this is really quite simple. Ask yourself, if all these kids were standing up for the opposite stance, would everyone be jumping on board with them as much? Somehow I very highly doubt it, and if you think I’m wrong then I would be forced to believe you are simply lying to yourself."
"Step back for a damn second and forget this whole damn gun debate, and if you still think teenagers are everything great and wise then you are simply wrong. There honestly isn’t anything else to say, it isn’t my opinion, it is just a fact of life and the world. I think it is now time to take a deep breath and talk about this in a more reasonable way."
"It all boils down to one simple thing. If someone makes a good point whether they are 15, 25, 35, or 95 agree with that idea, but extending their idea to everyone of that age group is unreasonable. It is also important to realize that experiencing a traumatic event does not make someone an expert on politics regarding that event. Don’t go and confuse this with saying a opinion or belief cannot be held, rather that it does not make one an expert. This is true not for the current situations, but all situations, just ask yourself if everyone was on a side you didn’t agree with if you would still stand up for them and say they were smarter and more mature.
If you agree with the ideas of someone then why does their age matter? Just say you agree with them, but putting them on a pedestal just because they are getting attention for their ideas is not the proper way to approach it. It is just absurd to me to assert teens are the same as adults, when science clearly says this is false. If someone claims global warming is false people say they are denying science, but the same does not apply to this situation even though it should."
"I’m sorry if you are a high schooler and reading this, I’m honestly not trying to shit on you even though you may feel that way. I’ve actually tried really hard to pick how I phrase this post as to not give that impression. We were all teenagers, and some may remember those times better than others. Because I was so politically active at a young age I remember how set in my ways I was, how I felt like everyone who didn’t agree was just blind to the truth of it all. I couldn’t imagine ever changing because I was just so right about everything and I knew it on a deep deep level. It turns out I was a raging idiot and really didn’t know anything. A secret of campaigns, they love the young volunteers for that exact reason. They are super set in their ways,and full of energy when it comes to working towards those beliefs. This makes them perfect little energetic brainless followers of a candidate, and they love young people who they don’t have to pay and who will work their ass off. If you are upset with me then I can’t really apologize, cause I promise in 10 years if you remember reading this you’ll have a light bulb moment as every adult has had and realize you were borderline crazy in high school. You’ll hopefully never want to go back to being that way again after you have grown and developed as a person."
P.s, I'm again not responsible for the strong language, or any offensive attack towards a teenager, this is the truth if you don't want it simply get over it. This is a discussion which I thank Muhammad Hajjar for, and it's not for curing hormonal nerves, it's a wise discussion for expressive in depth thoughts.

2018-04-09 15:45:39

I agree with that entry, and I read it on blackscreen gaming when it came out, but its not really relevant here, for this topic.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-09 23:48:00

it is relevant because it explains how those teenagers think and how their brains work. No matter how they think they can be wise, they are still not

2018-04-10 08:09:12

This has been an interesting topic to read.

One of my problems however with a lot of this discussion is that people are forgetting one point the article coco made points to quite nicely.
everyone is a teenager at some point!

Teenagers are not some strange other species, and despite a lot of companies who want to reduce people down to sets of demographics and homogeneous statistics teenagers are a diverse group.

Both on this forum and in reality I have run into teenagers with an astounding maturity level who act far older than their years and have quite seriously well thought out opinions. I've also run into people in their fifties and older who behave  stereotypically immature spoiled brats.

Even as regards the articles point about dogmatic opinions, yes I have met teenagers who hold very rigid and energetically applied views, but I've also met teenagers who show a surprising level of rationality and are able to think around a situation.

In terms of online  games there have been several quite interesting things said in this topic, but one specific thing does occur to me.

Online games are online and played with other people!
The plane truth is as Haramir and Sirbadger said, people who play online games want to interact with other people.

we live in a society where increasingly people are more and more isolated and devalued by very large organisations, where people reduced to  repetitive prophet  generators for large companies.

The response to this by lots of people is to band or gang together, form friendship groups, adopt strong political or religious affiliations, rigidly asert some specific querk of identity or behaviour in the name of solidarity hell or in the worse case join gangs or cliques. People, are looking for a society to be valued in since the society we live in doesn't value anyone very much.

Since blind people tend to be either social outcasts or rigidly identified as Blind! this situation is actually exacerbated.

As such, online games can fill a distinct need in people's lives, especially those online games that go along with identity, for example heavily oreintated role playing games, teams on fps games or the like.
Often assertion of this identity is aggressively competitive, for example you get to be far more aserted as yourself if you can Ko someone else, ---- and hay as long as it is online and not causing harm whats the problem with that? after all better riddling someone with bullets to prove your superiority online than doing it in reality.

The problem tends to be that online games need to be constructed and run in such a way as to allow everyone who wishes to play to have the opportunity to enjoy themselves, and as Dentin has often said of Alteraeon, this is less easy said than done. Often with games like deathmatch I have noticed  people create online games because they see a perceived need for such (which is quite real), but then either do not have the ability to administrate and run the game in a fashion that is fair to all, or still worse, end up falling foul of the one or two bad apples with a grudge who's intentions are! genuinely malicious.

So online games aren't a bad thing or the fact that kids or anyone else wants to play online games isn't a bad thing, its just a question of how the games are run and administrated, ----- much indeed as is the case with web forums where  [people pontificate endlessly over their opinion big_smile.

I'll finish by saying that I personally don't have anything against online games, but for me the competitive aspect just isn't important, one reason why I've never checked in to the likes of rtr, and just reserve myself to the odd game of crazy party now and again, though I do enjoy a good mud or rpg with lots of quests and stuff to discover.

This has pretty much always been the case for me, right from when I started playing online games when I was 22, ---- and indeed probably would have done if I'd have had access to online games in those dreaded teenaged years previously big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)