2018-04-08 19:24:08

Wow! That's not what I would consider an acceptable response. I am beginning to consider selling off the Trek and going back to a Stream. Then wait a year or two for the Trek to mature before considering buying it again.

2018-04-08 22:30:38

Let me get this streight jack, they suggested for you to set the date back to 2017 to solve your map problem? I hate to tell them this, but it's their problem that the map is out of date, not your's. For the price charged, they should be willing to repair for free and or vary reasonable prices. I would think free sense the device has not been for a year yet and I would think that they would want to learn what felled so that the problem can be corrected in the future. Anyway, it does not really sound like a good deal yet.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-04-08 22:50:03 (edited by Orko 2018-04-08 22:51:18)

The unanswered question for me is, is the right channel not playing through the internal speaker, intentional, a software glitch, or a hardware flaw? I know the Stream didn't have this problem, so I doubt it's intentional.

2018-04-09 01:19:05

It's a software glitch, as the trek is using a different audio processor. @cw The problem is not that big, really. The fact of the matter is one of unfortunate timing, because the map license expired on them. That was Tomtom's doing. On top of that, they were on holiday weekend so they weren't around to fix it. The beta users have already gotten an update patch to fix the situation so we all should soon thereafter.

2018-04-09 01:46:53

I hope the fix comes out soon. At the time, it just does not seem like a good buy and the two problems brought up does not really make it look good while HumanWhare seems to have good products over all. Did they just get a one year license or something? As for the audio processor, my first guess would had been a hardware problem. I guess I would had assumed that it would needed to been sense back for working on. To me, the more glaring problem, if it is not just one or two people reporting it in the google home topic, is the reception of GPS. Could be wrong. Reacting to soon makes me come off as a bit on the crazy side. LOL. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-04-09 03:07:51

I doubt it being a hardware problem as both units have the mono speaker, and the stream2's audio balance was fine. It's just the Trek's audio processing that prevents it from balancing properly.

2018-04-09 04:02:26

I've heard that the Trek runs on Android where the Stream didn't. With that in mind the Trek could be all new hardware rather than just a Stream with GPS added to it, and a new design provides an opportunity for design flaws to creep in. Just a theory to explain how a design that worked became a design that has issues, and trying to decide whether to stick it out or to sell the Trek, and go back to using a Stream. Especially since I don't need the GPS anywhere near as much as I thought I did.

2018-04-09 04:37:28

No, I doubt the Trek does. From my experience at looking at its files, it still seems to be running Linux, though the file system is much more organized than the Stream and even comes with a Python 2.7 installation. This is coming from looking at the contents of upgrade files, though, so may be unreliable.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-04-09 04:40:39

Device is recognized as a fastboot device when both volume keys and the power button are held down. Dead-on android device. Linux and Android have somewhat similar file structure, since android is based off linux anyway. But it is indeed running android.

2018-04-09 05:09:30 (edited by Chris 2018-04-09 05:10:34)

That's interesting that the Trek runs Android. I thought it would be easier to use the existing Linux code from the second generation Stream and add the GPS and Bluetooth functionality. I wonder what version of Android they're using? If they really are using twodifferent code bases, it's going to be more difficult to keep the two products in sync when it comes to the Victor Reader features. I hope the second generation Stream isn't abandoned. I still want to see many wireless features added such as the ability to stream to AirPlay and Chromecast devices, the ability to send files on the device using wi-fi, and the ability to browse machines on the local network for content using something like SMB or FTP.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-04-09 05:22:49

All of those things you mentioned are possible with the 2nd generation stream, except for chromecast audio support. Actually, I take that back, chromecast speakers may run linux. As for whether the 2nd gen stream is abandoned, it most certainly isn't, as HUmanware has made it clear that they are not replacing the stream2 with the Trek. And as for the two different codebases? I do believe they are still under the same umbrella, so updating them shouldn't be too difficult.

2018-04-09 13:01:56

I'm going to wait for the next software update, to see if Humanware is going to address some of the Trek's problems, if I don't see any improvement, I'm going back to the Stream.