2018-03-31 23:10:39

So I know what people are going to say but i'm still going to ask, has anybody had any success at all what so ever with fortnite? I'm thinking of trying it out cuz its free and all my friends play, is there anything I can do at all? We prkbably can't build ramps or anything, but what about shooting people?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-03-31 23:40:14

Fortnite has the same problems other FPS's have, variable height terrain, mute menus, object interaction, etc. which can make navigation and orientation difficult. The console versions may be easier to work with as they likely have some auto-aiming functions, though that doesn't help with navigation or object interaction perse. You could try the 3D mode in The Voice for PC of course, though your milage may vary. If you'd like to help bring up these issues with the dev team, feel free to hit up their forums [here] under the Suggestions & Advice or Feedback sections, for Battle Royale and Save the World respectively.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-01 01:22:33

it would be damn nice for us to be able to play fort night, seeing how so many people play it....wish a good dev like aprone would make an audio version of it

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-04-01 08:09:48

we don't need an audio version, we need the real version, like we need to be able to play the same game with everybody else. I'm going to try it out on my pc (if it'll even run it) and see what I can do. As long as I can straif or snipe i'm ok, I used to play call of duty sometimes so I should be ok. If i actually have any success, i'll let others know. And thanks for the forum idea, That's a good point, who knows, the devs might respond and help us out, who knows? Worth a shot.

2018-04-03 13:57:08

I highly doubt it. This sounds like another fat game corperation who only care about money money money and that's it. I know this has been said and resaid so many times, but I think I have to just bring this up again. On the entire world, there are a few million people who have some kind of major eye impairment. Out of those, maybe a few hundred thousand have impairments that are impossible to treat with today's methods at least and that can't be corrected with glasses or lenzes. Further, out of those a significant number are able to work with and have access to computers and/or game consoles. Yet the international blind gaming community is only a few thousand strong at most. Many of those might be interested in a playable fortnight including me, but the total customer gains for the devs is going to only be a few hundred, a thousand tops. What, pray tell, do they care about a couple hundred new people playing their games? They wouldn't even break even with the costs of making the game accessible. Maybe if they'd tried from the beginning, it wouldn't have cost them much more. But they didn't, so now the costs of adding accessibility is going to be so large they simply won't bother. They can aford to simply leave those few hundred people in the dust, because they have millions and millions of gamers ready to sign up who they don't have to kater to with any kind of help or accessibility settings, in fact in the mainstream gaming industry they have to focus a lot more on things like pr and advertizing so they can proove their game sticks out of the crowd of fps games that are out there. I hate to be the party pooper here, but this story has been told, re-told and repeated so many times its hard to even laugh about anymore. You might get a polite "we care about your feedback", but I'm sure that's all you're gonna get from these companies if anything at all.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-04-03 16:47:17 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-04-03 17:27:04)

@blindjedi it's considerably more complex than COD. It is a different genre of game really.

It is a big open world game, the environment is huge, really huge. In a single game you'll only ever see a small portion of the map. You're reliant on spotting things happening very far away as well as in close confines of buildings, and picking up weapons and upgrades is essential too, you start with nothing, no weapon at all. The weapons are nearly always in buildings with closed doors, even after finding and opening the door you have to find and then explore inside with more doors and stairs. Then there's also minecraft style mining and construction.. a common endgame is two people competing to build the highest tower so one can snipe the other. Then on top of all of that it is 100% unforgiving, there are 100 players on the map and each one only has one life. If you die there's no respawn, it is game over.

I'd say that mechanically it is one of furthest away from the possibility of meaningful accessibility for people without sight.

@connor142 if that were true then Madden 18, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Injustice and Skullgirls would not have had development dollars put into blind accessibility. I've just sent you a PM, check your inbox.

2018-04-03 17:10:43 (edited by Kaplik 2018-04-23 12:01:10)

I have not played in Fortnite, I play rather in PUBG. However, Battleroyal mode is very addictive in itself, and Fortnite is free to play. So you will like it for sure. Battleroyal is getting so popular that on the 1st of April they made the game PoE Battleroyal. Zone was shrinking, and we had to collect items and eliminate enemies.
What is missing in PUBG is the surround sound system.
At Fortnite, I do not like fairy tale graphics.

Battleryoal in PoE it was the best Battleroyal in which I played, I won and bought poe items and I collected a lot of poe orbs (and the most I collected exalted orbs, you can buy them).
This is a very interesting matter, I do not disregard it, I will refer to it tomorrow at the conference around 15th. Then I will tell you if it is true that the best Currency is on Odealo, so buy poe currency

If you like it :-) share this

2018-04-03 19:04:04

hello ian, I just responded to your pm.

2018-04-04 05:06:01

@ianhamilton_
Not necessarily. There are a variety of playstyles players come up with that don't boil down to tower building sniper fights, such as using techniques to avoid, bait and/or trap players in more deceptive ways. For example a player called muselk, seen [here], won a duo round with no weapons and without killing anyone using tactics that helped them avoid people, judicious use of building, and a bit of luck.

I think that in addition to the obvious audio cues it might be a good opportunity to test out [Peter Meijers] technique to sonify depthmap soundscapes for environmental navigation and interaction. The latest [example] in my repository include some optimizations and object filtering methods, so players could use the sonifier to get a depthmap view from the rendering pipline of the immediate area, zoom out for a long range view, or change the settings to filter out particular object types, such as items, players, or built structures. Something like this can be seen in my [Audiocraft] prototype, which I should probably update at some point, but you get the idea.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-04-05 02:45:11

I dunno, I wouldn't call that judicious, looks like pretty extreme building, and they were reliant on having a full spacial understanding of what the other players were doing and building as it happened.

I get how the sonication techniques could work in something without time constraints like Minecraft, but struggling to see how it would be applicable in a game based so heavily on quick recognition and reactions, especially with such a macro huge micro complex environment.

On the plus side audio cues for pickups wouldn't be too hard, there's already one for treasure chests.

2018-04-05 14:57:57

@ post 5, I couldn't have put it better.  unfortunately we are a very long way off mainstream games being accessible, yes we do have some games that are accessible, like killer instinct, mortal kombat and skull girls, but from what i understand it's way easier to make fighting games accessible compared to a huge game like fortnight. maybe one day there will be more mainstream games with accessability built in, but i think that's a long way off.

2018-04-05 22:31:31

I think I would have to agree with @post 5 on this one. Although I can't say that Fortnite only exists for the purpose of making money, (or that money is the devs' main concern) in order to make the game playable for us, the amount of drastic changes that would need to be made would be too much in order to accommodate such a small community. Even if our suggestions were taken into consideration and there was an overhaul to the game in order to make it accessible, I think that there would be a potential risk of losing a nice size portion of the current players due to how much would have to change about the game. @post 6 gives a great description of the obstacles that would need to be overcome in order to make the game accessible, and I certainly don't think that that these obstacles could be overcome without having to heavily remold the game. (or without adding features that would give us an unfair advantage over other players) I'd definitely love to play it though. Maybe we can develop our own Battle Royale game.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2018-04-05 23:30:30

What I think you guys keep forgetting, is chances are, their would only need to be small things added to a lot of these games, aka audio cues for walls, things like that, I don't really think they would have to completely overhall a game to add accessibility. Also, in the case of fortnight, it's free to play with all the dlc, so the company might not be making as much money as you think, which would make them more open to listening to accessibility suggestions which may not draw a lot more people as you guys say but would still get them more players which they would definitely want.
Also, another thing, you didn't take in to account is how many blind folks that game have sighted friends who also game. Even if accessibility would get them a lot more players in our community, if their game was accessible, chances are those blind people are gonna be talking to their sighted friends wanting them to get this game so they can play together. Then they might go to their buddy and be like man I've been playing this real bad ass game with my friend, you should check it out, then word of mouth and before you know it That small blind community just spread your game around to all these other people getting your game more players.

2018-04-06 00:58:26

Well it has over 40,000,000 players  and with in game purchases I'm sure they are making a bit of money, however  making the game playable for blind players again would be very difficult, even if the devs put in audio cues for walls there would still not be much point in playing as the game is fps and the aim is to kill the other players, so without a way for blind players to be able to track and aim at the sighted players a blind player would be massacred before they even knew what hit them.

2018-04-06 19:03:43

i said before and i'll say it again, no blind will ever be able to play online mainstream FPS

2018-04-06 19:10:14

oh and BTW, guys, i've spent more than 100 hours playing fortnite, well, i didn't like it, it was stupid game

PUBG is better, or in F2P games, LMS

WTF? crafting in a battleroyale  game?

2018-04-07 22:48:57

@16
I was skeptical about the crafting aspect as well, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it so...

@14
I also agree that implementing audio cues really doesn't seem like it would make the game very playable. Even after the ability to navigate around, we're still left at a pretty big disadvantage. There's still the obstacle of tracking/aiming players. Being taken out without even knowing what was happening over and over again doesn't seem like it would be a fun experience. (and it won't have anything to do with how skilled you are) Having a system that automatically aims at players doesn't seem like it would be too enjoyable either. I think the best plan would probably be for us to develop our own game for the community.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2018-04-08 00:41:57 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-04-08 08:19:52)

Ok general point to people in this thread, and I'm going to be blunt here; you're causing damage.

If you want to talk about mechanical reasons why fortnite couldn't be accessible, fine. I happen to agree, see reply #6.

If you want to talk about ways that games in general can be made more accessible, wonderful.

But if you want to talk about how no FPS could ever be accessible (fortnite is not a FPS game, and I can forward you videos of gamers without any sight at all playing mainstream FPS games) or talk about how no mainstream developer will ever care about accessibility, not only are you wrong, but by even saying that you are harming likelihood of accessibility work being done.

These forums are frequently showcased in industry conference talks as a great place for developers interested in blind accessibility to learn more. Being confronted with "not possible" / "never going to happen, devs don't care" is really not helpful. If anything it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

The are advocates gaining traction. Blind gamers being invited into studios. Developers who really do care.

Results are hard to see yet due to the lengthy periods needed to make mainstream games, but please please do not sabotage all those people's good work.

2018-04-08 03:12:20

A way that if it worked, could maybe make aiming workable is to implement binaural audio. One way to do this is using stereo audio but upscaling it with headsets that put audio in 7.1. If binaural audio in videogames became more prevalent, then fortnite could be made accessible. If you can hear everyone around you spatially, aiming should be ok, as when you move the camera, you can focus on a person to aim at.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-04-08 09:44:48

the problem is, we need some sort of way to detect players even if we're not aiming at them. The typical sighted player of the typical mainstream fps has a crosshair on the screen they use to aim with, but also a minimap that hsows where the players are so they can find them. I don't know what fortnite's interface looks like but it is probably something similar. If a player were say to just stand still somewhere and wait for someone to walk by, a sighted person might see them, a blind person won't hear them because they're not moving. This would mean you could add either some sort of constant sound that every player makes every once in a while, or a sort of tracker like many audio games do it these days only probably exicuted a little better than in say redspot or tk.

2018-04-08 15:02:13

@18
I completely agree.  It's not to say the game couldn't have accessibility implementation factored into it, but admittedly doing so might be tough in certain areas, though definitely not impossible.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2018-04-08 16:16:42 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-04-08 16:17:38)

@connor142 there is no map of where people are. There are footsteps, and kills often happen at close range, but you also need to be able to see movement and building activity a very very long way away. To give you some context, the island you play on is big enough that it is not possible to traverse all of it in a single game.

2018-04-08 23:54:52

a few points i'd like to bring up:
@15 / 16, blind people can and do play fps games. I myself have played blackops online, and while I only got 5 kills, that's 5 more than anyone expected me to. The problem with these games (fortnite included) is the speed. In fortnite, people get killed really, really quickly. Its like boom boom boom 5 or 10 guys down. Blind people would get whipped really quickly. I still kinda wanna try it out though. in fortnite, players camp out, and the game moves quite fast anyway. If a player's up on a sniper tower, they have the advantage of being silent. The blind player would get sniped pretty quick before even knowing anybody was there, and most of the time, the sniper isn't even near you, but far across the map. That's why I stopped playing quake. I do think though that if quake was modded to work for blind people then if fortnite is moddable the same thing might be possible and even better than quake as quake was years ago.

2018-04-09 02:20:14

I know one person that can fix this problem guys. APRONE APRONE APRONE where are you when we need you....make an audio version of this thing. im not requesting mason, sam, or any other dev, aprone is the perfect choice in my opinion of making a bad ass fortnight audio version for us

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-04-09 06:00:03

Yeah I'm struggling right now to think of ways this could be made playable if even somewhat. That being said, there are far greater minds than I and I'm not at all saying this can't be done. Different game completely, but I'm still amazed that I've been able to play Deadspace. Lots and lots of challenges with it, but seriously it's an amazing feeling when the full realisation of what I'm actually doing hits me. I honestly believe that there will come a time when this is not so much a discussion of implementing accessibility, but how it can be improved. I see a future in which we can play games with our sighted peers. Will it be on the same level? That's hard to tell. Personally I'm not sure, just because of the visual acuity's involved. Absolutely agree with post 18 here.