2018-04-04 07:46:07

Hello all. this is mayson. has anyone used ubuntu mate? if so has anyone gotten skype to work at all with orca? I tried to use skype on a windows virtual machine using orca and virtualbox, but the lang was horrible! if anyone has any solution, please help. I am running a 64 bit os. and ubuntu mate 18.04 beta one. beta 2 will be out in a couple days. thanks all. Aloha, Mayson.

2018-04-04 09:05:52

Hello all my second question is how do I install chromevox on ubuntu mate for google chrome? I tired to use the skype for web but firefox for linux doesn't support it. so how can I install chrome vox for google chrome? aloha, Mayson

2018-04-04 11:28:00

For the first one...

I have the mate desktop (not Ubuntu specific)  on an Arch instal, though I've always had issues with Ubuntu's implementation of Mate.

Second point.....you need a Chrome useragent for Firefox.

Google how to do an eyes free install of Chromeox, there's instructions in a Google group, but Skyp itself uses a Chromium base with an Electron wrapper that does not work with Orca. Atually ChromeVox only half works with Chromium itself, you need to tell Chromiu to work with the speech-dispatcher. Chrome itself works out of the box mind.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-04-04 11:31:09

I would say if your using arch like I am do git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/chromium-chromevox.git
cd chromium-chromevox
makepkg -s
sudo pacman -U *.xz
then after it is installed run from a run dialog in mate. chromium --enable-speech-dispatcher It should start speaking through espeak. But your not using arch so I can't help you there. If you want I can install arch and then upload it is a vm image with ssh support.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-04-04 11:31:16

For Chrome....read this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc … Ui3a-kTnMJ

Grab that file, put it in /opt/google/chrome/extensions and start Chrome.

Skype itself is amazingly broken on the web however with godawful audio quality and then some, at least on the vey latest Chrome...

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-04 11:32:57

"Herz:

Yes but that doesn't come with any of the Google API keys built in, if you're going to do that you have to launch Chromium with the --enable-speech-dispatcher flag so it runs via speech-d, and the Google voices don't work at all, there's some debate online if you can actually get the Google AP keys into the cloned Chromium

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-05 01:25:20

hey uys, its mayson again. I like linux distros with a gui and that are accessible with orca. my friend recomaended ubuntu mate for me and I like it. any other accessible linux distros out their. and is it possible to get chrome to work with orca it self and not having to use chrome vox? and also what can I do about the skype issue? I have a lot of contacts who still use skype and I want to stay far far away from windows 10 on my physical machine! thanks all for your help! I appritiate all of it! Aloha, Mayson.

2018-04-05 02:44:26

and just a heads up for you all who use ubuntu-mate and vmware player write now vmware player does not work with 18.04! its still in beta so I'm not sure if it will work once it comes out in about 3 weeks.

2018-04-05 03:49:23

For desktops...

Try the Zorin distro, it has its own desktop that is a more easy to use Gnome. Gnome itself, at least for me, works fine on my laptop, I know people have bitched about it not being accssible but at least on the version I have I ain't run into too many issues, though YMMV, and Orca is built into the Gnome stak so there's that whole thing.

Honestly web skype's quite probably your only option though.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-05 04:27:37

have you gotten skype web to work? and how is zorin? what package manager is included? I'm using the terminal with the advanced packaging tool. is chrome the only option of using skype web?

2018-04-05 04:42:52

sorry about that. I should have said, I'm using the advanced packages tool on ubuntu mate. but what packjing tool is in zorin?

2018-04-05 06:03:35

@Mason:

No, in Firefox you can trick Skype to think you're on Chrome by changing the user agent, you just need a hrome user agent string and to do a bit of tweaking in about:config in FF

Zorin's Ubuntu based so it uses apt as well, though I'm not sure if Zorin's going to update to go along with Ubuntu 18.04.

If you got a VM handy.....I'd say try out different distros as wel though.

For the FF thing, I use this and it works fine.

Go to about:config in FF and accept the warning, and in the search field put in useragent

Create a new string titled...

general.useragent.override.web.skype.om

For the value, put this:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60

After that you should be able to make calls and such on Skype but it may well break in any browser.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-05 07:13:59

SOUNDS KIND OF DIFICAULT. AND i'M TRYING ZORIN WRITE NOW ITS A LITTLE LESS RESPONSIVE THAN UBUNTU MATE. i THINK i'M GOING TO GO BACK TO UBUNTU MATE. i REALLY WISH THEIR WAS A EASY WAY TO USE SKYPE IT SELF. BUT i GUESS THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

2018-04-07 09:16:23

hey guys does any no of any accessible arch distros that have a gui on them? sonar gnu linux is pretty much dead. anything else?

2018-04-07 13:54:09

Antergos, it comes with Gnome by default but you can install a lot  of desktop environments with the installer and it's very easy to get going, that's what I'm using on my laptop.

Not Arch but try Solus Mate, that's another choice but not blding edge pakages.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 01:06:09

is mate included with the installer? I am downloading antergos now to give it a worl. can you start orca from the live cd image using alt plus super plus s?

2018-04-08 02:45:12

It is, you get an option to install one of six desktops initially and with Arch you can install others later on.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 02:46:47

Also yes, by default it goes into a Gnome desktop environment, so yes just hit super+alt+s to get Orca going, and from there, super and type install and tab over to install Antergos, go from there.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 11:14:02

Hello, I manage to get antergos install about about 2 hours the push buttons you run in to are not that accessible. It was trial and error for me. how will you know if you have an update to install on your system? as I understand it, arch is a rolling release? how would I go about updating my system if an update to packages or arch become available? Aloha, Mayson

2018-04-08 11:15:33

It'll show up a notification about the package manager and say X updates available

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 11:29:59

I like antergos so far but why cant you use alt super s to start orca when your logged in? orca does not start automaticly when I'm logged in. I always have to hit alt f 2 and type orca and hit enter? is their a work around for this? Aloha, Mayson

2018-04-08 12:12:06

To be fair alt+super+S doesn't seem* to work on most* Mate based sitros. It does however work fine on Gnome.

* The ones I've tried with Mate that is,  Solus, Antergos, Ubuntu and so on don't work with the alt+super+S combo at least here

Have you tried installing the Gnome and Mate dsktops and seeing if Gnome fixes the Orca starting issue? At least here for me, Orca 3.28 works perfetly wll with Gnom and starts up at log in, and works very well. I'm not sure if there's something about Mate that maks Orca not start up automatically though.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 12:31:37

are you using gnome? I really don't want to reinstall again. the installation takes about 10 or 20 minutes! is this normal for antergos?

2018-04-08 13:49:16

Yep Gnome's what I'm running on my laptop and it works fine here, I'd argue install Gnome, then Mate once you know the system's installed fine and pick which one you like best.

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-08 13:51:32

@Mason:

Open terminal, do sudo pacman -S gnome

That installs the whole Gnome stuff so you can try Gnome out too alongside Mate

Also on Linux natively