2018-04-06 18:31:13

Hi guys

I did not want to steal the forza motorsport 7 topic for my question, hence creating new topic.
Do you guys know which game has the best driver assist options?
e.g. project cars 2, project cars, asseto corsa, forza motorsport, and such?
I know that project cars 2 has steering assist but from what i read it's just  a system to give you slight help with steering so it's not like autodriving or anything.
and, apparently asseto corsa does not have any steering assistance.
any one with experience can chime in?
thanks a lot
cheers

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-04-07 09:38:13

forza motorsport 7 is your best way to go when it comes to assistive options.......everything you can think of when it comes to driving the game assists you with

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-04-08 03:22:19

As much as I love assists, I really wish there was an option in game that would let you drive without assistance but have audio guidance on which dirrection that? I would think that this would improve playability and make it easier to win with skill involved.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-04-08 03:24:59

Also, speaking of steering options, does the Uxbox one controller have vibration motors on both triggers? If so, could the vibrations give cues on when to turn and which dirrection?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-04-08 16:32:58 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-04-10 22:40:57)

Yep both triggers have variable degrees of rumble.

I 100% agree about reducing the amount of assistance required, by providing info over assists. This might be of interest to you -

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/08/rad-i … ing-games/

2018-04-09 15:23:53

I'll copy/paste my stock answer here.

All the ISI gMotor engine games have assists built up and on the highest settings for steering and brakeing...it will literally glue you to a predefined racing line, and brake for you.

The driving assists are....

Steering help, low/medium/high
Opposite lock on/off
Auto brake: low/medium/high (called other things in different games using the engine)
Stability Control: Low/medium/high
Spin Recovry: Low/meidum/high (this is arguably the least helpful....it literally just spins you in place and you have to be at a dead stop to use)
Invincibilityy: on/Off
Auto gears: Off/upshifts/downshifts/on
Traction control: Of/low/medium/high (some games just do off/low/high)
Anti lock brakes: See the TC entry
Automatic pit: On/off
Auto clutch: On/off (I keep this on no matter what...)
That's all the ones you toggle with F1-F12

In certain Gmotor engine games you can toggle AI control of your car. It....doesn't always work well and depends entirely on how good the track model is, as it's following the same predetermined line as the AI cars usually follow.

For other sims...Nascar Racing 2003 has steering assist which at 100% steers you into the corner, though braking is entirely up to you. I've punted people halfway to Canada after missing or locking the brakes and sliding into them. Most impressive one was diving past somebody, realized the curb would launch my car into the air and attacked somebody in mid air, and somehow caused them to roll their car. Is it easy to learn? No. Is it easy to get a CD copy? Mmm....nope. It goes for $300 and up. Because of its rarity, Actually a lot of the communites if you ask around give out a generic CD key and tell you to torrent the game, because collectors simply will not part with their copies.

A list of isis gMotoor engined games....

rFactor 1/2 (2 is by a different developer and 1 isn't worked on any more)
F1 Challenge 99-02
Game Stock Car/Stock Car Extreme/Automobelista (by Reiza Studios who seem keen on feedback)
GTR1 and 2 by my old employerss
And last but not least, ARCA Sim Racing...which you have no hope of making work on modern hardware, all the assists got ripped out in an update and the Sim Fatory said they are not putting the back in, since, realism. Same guys who locked their sim to a wheel only approach or years and deliberaly borked any other input devices.

Older sims:

Geoff Crammond's F1GP/Grand Prix series has auto brakes, and on keyboard assisted steering,it's subtle enough that you don't notice it if you're focused on lapping or racing, GP3 and older won't work on modern computers, in fact GP1/2 only run in DOSBOX, GP3 needs a whole heap of tinkering to get going.

Now or some odd ones:

NHRA's drag racing games are easy to pick up and learn and frustrating to play. It's perfetly possible once you get the timing down to be competitive, I remember back in the old Moto1.net days there were a few blind drag racers who would get the timing down and in the days of 56k modems, whip anyone they came across and win tournaments all from getting the timing down perfectly well.

So which is easiest to get hold of? rFactor 1 has a free trial. Run it in a window, and use OCR to check if it runs. RF2 has an arguably worse interface, and GSC/Reiza games have a somewhere in the middle interface.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-04-09 15:30:32

Oh, a few more:

Older games:

Papyrus's older games had braking help. You still had to steer but breaking help was a thing, it penalized you though especially on the ovals.  You could run flat out and beat the AI without if you got good enough, with it on you'd scrubb off 40-5 mph on entry to a corner whereas the AI would scrubb off about half that...but on street/road ourses it was flipped, you were quickr over the course of a lap with it on but slower over a race distance. The autobrake was also tied into the pit speed limiter, and in talking at SMS with a few ex Papy guys I never got a straight answer as to why, but that was a thing in all their sims up to NR4, you want to not get busted speeding in th pits? Take the penalty of auto braking then.

Indy 500 (Papy's first ever game) didn't have any assists but it had for the time good sound design, you could on a PC speaker hear when you were nudging the wall or grass and as it was Indy pre-warmup lanes you ould d dive down in the turns.

What else....hm.....let's see....the triggers comment made me want to point out that's been a thing for a long, long while as far back as the TOA Race Driver series on consoles, RD3 in particular. PS2 gen or early PS3 gen even, it had triggers that rumbled on PC gamepads at least, consoles....not so much

Also on Linux natively

2018-04-09 18:12:15

Okay so...went and tested rFactor 1 with no mods on a bone stock install....which is the free trial with all the content.

Managed to completely forget the first turn existed at Toban and went flying off the track thinking I was further on down the straight....but it did remind me how good the  sound design was for 2005, I could do a whole lap of Toban with the assists on meidum and be competitive in one of the slowest classes of racing. The oval side...oh this is where it gets both good and bad. Good....in that you have a spotter who tells you if there's cars on your inside or outside, bad because.....well.....you're in a pack of cars, it can be hard to hear the spotter at times and hear the other cars...that being said rF1 has some good engine sounds, if you're side by side you can usually hear when you're clear of that car.

NR2003 however.....ugh. It's a mixed bag. On the sheer driving front, pick a big track, hold the gas, lift off and steer, you're set. On the other hand put 42 other cars on track and you're sudddenly faced with 42 other cars that will shove you out of the way. In a test run I did at Daytona I had the spotter continually telling me I was 3 wide for 20 laps...which was terrifying. The bad part about that out of the box is...alright, good point first. Duke. Freaking. Nukem voices the spotter....but you just get generic radio chatter, ar outside, etc. So, got a community sound pack, that atually made it worse, so I went back to the default sounds and cranked the steering assist up to 95% (which I usually run) and went to Atlanta to test. I plugged in a FB wheel and could tell the FFB was solid, so I tried it on keyboard...and gamepad. It's playable on both, but it's not really optimal.

So the race at Atlanta started with me in the middle of the field, the pack got spread out pretty fast after I nudged a guy off to the inside going for position....after the caution period the field spread out so I got to log laps and pass one or two cars at a time. That worked fine. I even went 4 wide into the first turn to get 3 spots and take a top 10.

Then the road courses....oh here we go. Now NR2003 was built with oval racing in mind, so the AI cars go side by side no matter what. This was a problem at Watkins Glen since I ballsed up the start, and the RNG mechanica failures decided that was a fine time to lose a gear, and my car was smoking. So the AI decided to ram me out of the way from the back. The spotter didn't tell me jack shit about it, I got punted off into the gravel and clawed my way out, caught up to the cars and blew the engine doing that. Restarted the race, nudged a guy off at T1....and found something interesting that I know won't ever be fixed since NR2003 is a 15 year old game....but if you're not within a certain distance of the car the spotter won't say a thing. It works well for side by side racing, the spotter picks up on that but for being on somebody's rear fender and following them....nope, you gotta listen out for that one.

NR03 has fantastic 3D sound though, I'll give it that one. I was able to hear an oppnent diving down the inside and move over to give him a bit more space than needed, then stay side by side through the next few turns and take the spot back under brakes. Sound design's great, the oval racing and physic are good, the spotter is meh....though I found my old burned CD and lerned even a backup CD goes for $200 or more for fans of NR20033 really.....which is crazy.

Lastly tested RF2. It's a prettier RF1 with different handling and the same assists...and rain.

Lastly went to one I helped develop, PCARS 1, plugged in my gamepad, turned the assists on,and I remember people at launch claiming the assists were too strong. I've no clue what they were on about, on my X360 pad, with the assists on they were barely noticeable in a slower car. Admittedly...PARS has some....interesting physics quirks for its car classes, I did test with a car from each class at the same track and weather to make sure though and on keyboard, the assists were more noticeable than on a pad, or a wheel, the higher the difficulty the assists are locked to off, something I dislike really....though I know why and I can't go into details about why certain things were done how they were.

Also on Linux natively