2018-03-31 08:26:01

so i'd like to learn to eddit my audio, i'm not sure where to get started. I use virtual recorder to record, but i'm having some technical isues.
it seems to record but wen i go to play the recording it plays a recording i deleted a long time ago. this happens even after completely reinstalling the damn thing. if anyone could help it would be graite.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-03-31 13:04:04

Use reaper for editing as there is guides all over the wen & on here that  can walk you through it
Better then me

2018-03-31 15:32:21

virtual recorder doesn't play files, it just records them, I put the prefix VRE- on it, so all my files start with that, so I just have to look at the numbers to see which is the latest one. It is also possible to record with goldwave or reaper by engaging their loopback modes. I would recommend reaper for editing as well, but its kind of like the bike with no training wheels maybe something like gold wave first.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-31 16:55:07 (edited by flackers 2018-03-31 16:56:35)

There's also audacity for editing. Doesn't have anything like the capabilities of reaper, but it's fully accessible right out of the box, and is more intuitive and easy-to-use for just doing the basics like cropping, fading, volume and panning, and exporting.

2018-03-31 17:43:00

I used to use it, but I found it clunky, when I found goldwave, it felt a lot better. Now I use a combination of goldwave and reaper.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-01 00:21:42

For me, audacity and VR has always worked better. Everyone’s different though, so what works for you really depends on the following.
A, what are you trying to accomplish. Cropping, cutting, adding music or sound effects into recordings, these are all things you should take into consideration. Different programs work better with different things, so what works better for you really depends on what you want to do with them.
B, recording audio. VR and audacity are both pretty good since they can record as well as edit. If you want to be able to change recording quality, change what comes from where on the stereo, along with a bunch of other cool stuff. Again, weather or not it works for you all depends on what you want to do with it.

2018-04-01 00:57:24

I agree with everyone else. I think Gold Wave might be your best starting point when it comes to editing. Reaper is usable, but has a learning curve, and Audacity it accessible, but not the most intuitive thing on the planet. I would recommend Gold Wave for anyone who's getting started with audio editing, its commands and interface are the friendliest of all the audio editors.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-01 01:18:29

gold wave for beginners indeed!  It'll hold your hand even when you don't really need it.  the price as far as I'm concerned is entirely worth it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-04-01 06:35:31

Yup yup what everyone else said.  I started with audacity, and now I went to Reaper.  But I use a lot of work arounds in audacity, and it was fine for getting started.  After having time with reaper it's really inferior, but I used audacity for years and there's a lot of keystrokes right in the documentation of audacity.  Depends on what you want to use audio editing for, but just asking how to audio edit is really a loaded question.

2018-04-01 10:22:22

From my personal experience, Goldwave might be good for beginners if it's your first audio editing software. However, if you've used software such as Adobe Audition or Sound Forge before (like I did), and then you try to switch to Goldwave, it will take some time to get used to it's way of editing audio. And I can say similar thing for Audacity. The thing is, selecting portions of audio in Sound Forge and Audition is similar to text selection. That is, Ctrl+Shift+Home selects from cursor to the beginning, Shift+Right Arrow selects a chunk of audio while Shift+Left Arrow unselects it. In Goldwave, you first have to set your start and finish markers and then memorize shortcuts for moving start and finish markers to extend or shrink a selection, which was quite confusing to me while trying it for the first time. I don't know, but Sound Forge seams easier to me, at least if we talk about audio selection. However, Goldwave's and Reaper's cost is much lower comparing to Sound Forge's, and Audacity is free, so that's one of the reasons why better start with those.

2018-04-05 06:36:18

thanks for the help, i'm mainly planning on using it a little now and then to make some skit type things, i've found out how to combine files in audacity, now i'm just wondering how to make them play at different times?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-04-05 12:13:29 (edited by flackers 2018-04-05 12:29:09)

Altering the playback times for different tracks isn't something I've ever done in audacity, so maybe someone knows an easy way to do it, but I'm guessing you can just select the audio or entire track you want to move, cut it, then pause the audio where you want it to go, press left bracket to mark it, then paste. You can also have two separate projects open at the same time, and copy and paste audio from one to another. So you could copy the audio from a track in one project, then add a new track to the other project, then pause playback and hit left bracket, then just paste it into the new track. I think the new track would have to be selected so it knew where you wanted to paste. If there's a command to nudge the selected audio bit by bit forward or back, I don't know what it is.

2018-04-05 13:50:02

Also their is wave pad free from NCH, it's about as bare bones as it gets so it's good for beginners.
GW has a forgiving demo though so that's nice...

2018-04-05 16:10:22

There is a way in Audacity to move it, but I don't think there is a nudge thing, unless they added it since I stopped using it. I don't exactly remember the steps involved, but its not intuitive. The easier method is to just insert blocks of silence where you need the audio moved to. Reaper is infinitely better about this as you have full access to the timeline. Reaper is like this bear that wants to rip your face off, you look at it and go holy crap, it looks at you and thinks, dinner. You throw it a slab of meat and it settles down and you become friends. Ridiculous, yes, but the point is reaper is daunting at first, there's no denying it. But, once you get to learning it, and there are resources out there for this, you will be doing a lot better. The time it takes you to do the same length of a project will decrease, making you more productive, the quality of your productions will improve, etc.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-05 18:31:58

I haven't tried WavePad, but the other NCH stuff I've used is super-intuitive, and I don't think I've ever needed a manual with any of their stuff. As for Reaper, I agree with IronCross in that it's a bit of a beast. I'm just not sure it's a good place for a beginner to start off if all they want is basic editing tasks. There's no question if you're a musician who's interested in making really good quality multi-track recordings, audacity shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath, it's just too basic. But my issue with Reaper from an editing for beginners perspective, is that it's not very accessible out-of-the-box, it's not at all intuitive, and you really need to know where to look if you're going to get useful guides for screen reader users. When I look at reaper, I get the feeling it's never passed through a marketing team with a view to capturing the largest possible slice of the market. It's made by audiophiles for audiophiles, and that's great if you're an audiophile. A lot of the language it uses is pretty jargonistic, and if you don't know what that stuff means already, you haven't a hope of figuring it out just from the name. Even when you know what the end-result of a function is, you still sometimes wonder how the hell they arrived at that name for it. Music techies doubtless have no such problems, but the brief is editing for beginners, and I really think full-blown DAWS like Reaper are something for later on. I've only used Reaper and Sonar, and I definitely found Reaper the tougher one of the two to get to grips with. I'm not saying Sonar's better, just that Reaper could do with someone coming in and toning down the jargon a bit, and simplifying things. Some will say they don't need their hand held, but lots of others do need a more easy-to-use interface, and there's nothing wrong with giving power tools to the knowledgeable, while at the same time offering a helpful wizard for the simple user.

2018-04-05 18:51:12

I actually don't use it for music, I tend to use it for simple editing. Cut and trim, EQ, maybe some effects like compression. It is probably overkill for editing podscasts, but its good for it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-06 00:43:50

eh, I've never had any issues using Gold Wave to edit podcasts, but to each their own.

CAVI did recently release their audio editing courses for free, though, so if someone does want to learn Reaper, that would be a great place to start.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-06 06:29:17

I did actually, I've done the essentials and the first reaper. The advanced reaper is not laid out intuitively, so its not possible to tell which file is which part in the order of the classes, so I didn't do that one. But they are very worth it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-06 18:21:54

the thing you said about inserting blocks of silence, how do you do that. and i don't think i'm gonna use this stuff enough to pay 40 or 20 dollars, how ever much it is for goldwave, at the moment at least. my main plans for this are tts skits and similar things. i still have yet to learn how to make tts skits without spending fucking days on them.

----------

2018-04-06 19:05:25

I don't remember anymore, its been at least 2 years since I've used Audacity.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-07 03:41:38

so i've decided to try out goldwave. i currently have the demo, although my main problem is being able to paste a file into another file in the correct location. any help whould be apriciated.

----------

2018-04-07 04:02:01

Ah that's easy, make sure the file is copied with control C, then go to the one you want to paste it into, play up to that point, then press left bracket to set your start marker there, then hit control M. When you set the start marker, it changes the time in that box for you. Then just hit OK. It's hard mixing though, just one file right into another one, no crossfading etc. You can do that, the way is control D, but its sort of weird and I don't really like it. If I'm gonna do that, I prefer to use the blend at marker option, which you 5.7 users won't have.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-07 04:24:58

i'll tell you almost exactly whayt i'm planning and you can maybe help me from there.
so i have all the sounds i need for this project.
furst, i got a plain birds loop. i open that, it works good. i get my next sound, a radio or comm sound, open that, cut or copy it, go to the birds loop, place the starting marker with left bracket, and hit control m and hit ok. now it will only play the comm noise at the beggining. and if i try to get another sound after that, it takes out the comm sound and replaces it with the new sound, and about 3 seconds of the bird loop.
so i d k what is going on butit ain't working.
what makes this even better. the mike i'm using was working yesterday perfectly, and now it doesn't even pick up my voice.

----------

2018-04-07 05:45:47

As for your first issue, I don't have a fucking clue because there's no reason it shouldn't work. I'm assuming it has to be operator error because that hting always works. Make sure the time is something other than 0, and the volume is 0 but other than that, I mean, there's no reason it shouldn't work. You could mix the two files using the expression evaluator, but that's a little more advanced.
As to your second, it probably just got unplugged, it won't hold your mic and stuff in settings if the mic is no longer available, its not goldwave's fault, its just how sound devices work in windows. Plug the mic back in, go back into goldwave, hit F11, go to the devices tab, and re-select it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-07 17:03:05

ok i'll try it thanks

----------