2018-04-06 01:45:48

Hi all
I've noticed that most kids who are often aged from 8 to 16 prefer online games on other types of games, as well as being them online fps. While many of the adult players tend to prefer other types such as rpg's, adventure games, strategy games and even online games etc, you find under aged players sticking often only to online multiplayer games, putting them in their first place. This doesn't only apply to this community, even in my community I find many kids and teenagers love and play only this type of games. Is it because online multiplayer games (especially fps's) don't often need strategic thinking and planning, or are they simply energies they want to dump on such games, or is it about finding friends to satisfy spaces of some sort?
I'm interested in your opinions, what do you think is the reason?
Regards

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-04-06 03:24:15 (edited by defender 2018-04-06 03:38:25)

I think it's just an outlet for dumping their hormonal energy and stress from school, they make and lose friends every day on strategic ones like RS and TK, they back stab each other constantly and fly right off the freaking handle at any provocation no matter how small, because they haven't grown a skin yet.
They just want to PWN some noobs, it's as simple as that LOL.
The more I talk to people from Iran, Turkey, Russia, Romania ETC the more I learn how much your country's outlook on blindness effects it too, these guys don't feel like they have a future so their already pissed, and it seems like their parents just let them fuck around on the computer all day so they don't have to think about them, but that could just be an assumption, it could also possibly be because their parents feel bad for them and let them get away with more as a way to try and make up for it?
Shitty blind schools tend to compound the social issues as well...
Those that speak pretty much no English also don't have the problem of feeling any personal connection to the other players, we may as well be bots to them, hence why they don't mind multikilling someone who has no chance against them and did nothing to start a fight. The more you try to reach out to them or get upset, the more they just laugh because to them it's all just a bunch of gibberish with some commonly known swears thrown in that explodes when they kill someone, which, having been on the other end of, is in fact pretty funny... :-D
Also, pretty much any kid at that age regardless of where they are in the world has a low grasp of cause and effect, and considers sportsmanship and treating strangers fairly to be sappy bullshit, they don't get the hole what goes around comes around thing yet they just blow that shit off having not had enough life experience to truly have discovered it for them selves at that point.
Generally it's pretty lacking in malice I think, and a decent amount of these kids grow up to be normal people who look back on it and think wow, that was stupid and shitty, at least from my experience.
Lets just say I can't wait for this generation to grow up so I can have more online friends with unique experiences, and less annoying friggin cheaters to deal with.

2018-04-06 03:38:25

Stepping outside of audiogames exclusively, the mainstream community sees just as many adults playing online games as kids. It's not so much the generation prefering online games as the generation that simply prefers to do everything online period. Gaming just happens to be one of the many other things along with netflix, instagram, online shopping, all of which is done through the internet... that is where people feel most connected nowadays, and all the adults who are modern and up with the times also follow suit, which usually means adults who are into their 30s. But it's true that adults generally have a wider scope of preference too, of course. Kids simply go online for everything because that is how they connect with people.

And in the blind community specifically, Defender has a point. This explains why, while there's immaturity on the sighted gaming platforms, people who are blind take it to a whole other level. I've said that before and I will stick by that. Contrary to popular belief, most sighted kids who game have much better manners and understanding than their blind counterparts. I've received hate mail and the like for beating young gamers online, all be it rarely, but none of them give me as much lip as blind people online who are similar age.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-06 04:13:36 (edited by defender 2018-04-06 04:52:32)

Screaming twelve-year-old's on COD and Halo? The toxic communities that surround "MOBA" titles like DOTA and Smite or MMORPG's like WoW and LoL? The wave of assholes from gamergate that came after the reasonable first part?
IMO it's always mostly been an issue of size, and wile I don't discount the blindness factor straight off the way I used too, I still strongly believe that it's a secondary issue.
You don't have relative peers to play with most times in terms of skill, you can't just pick another server if people are being shitty, teams screw up everything because their are so few players that now individuals get ganged up on before they can learn the ropes, people are board out of their minds of the repetition so they don't mind numbly multikilling newbies for the sliver of amusement it gives them, and you have to play with the same people day in and day out so if you dislike each other, it's very hard to avoid one another.
As I was saying yesterday while talking to an AG dev, I think part of the reason that we have more problems than allot of other small communities is because unlike many of them, we are not a passionate but still mainstream Indi niche group of enthusiasts who devote much of our off time to improving our specific craft or guiding new members into the fold as to increase our pool of creativity, where pretty much everyone is contributing in some way.
Rather we are a community attempting to emulate the widest possible swath of mainstream games as soon as possible, and while we do have similarities, it's more about shooting for the baseline equilibrium, rather than innovating and mutually enjoying our unique hobby.
It tends to make us more judgemental, and feel as though we are owed something, and weather it's understandable or not it's the way it has been for a while, especially for the last few years.
That  subconscious bitterness, compounded by the fact that many blind people on this site seem to game all day as an escape from the employment issue,  having to accept their disadvantage in daily life, or uphill battles for resources in school is what people who seem more comfortable with their blindness often take as entitlement, but that never really struck home for me as the underlying issue here, rather just a face value simplification of the hole thing.
And yeah I get how winy this sounds, but hey, I'm being honest, and I really don't think it's just me or my friends at this point, but allot of people don't really want to dig deep and figure it out, and I'm not saying it's acceptable or shouldn't be worked on either.

2018-04-06 12:04:30

Well this topic turned out to be an interesting read.  These are some great insights.  I plan to revisit this later when more people have chimed in and when I have enough time to possibly join in myself.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-04-06 14:28:53 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2018-04-06 14:32:06)

Probably because they can troll there and get away with it.

@3 I take it you've never been on XBL? Either that, or the time you've spent there has been relatively short.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-06 14:49:51

From what I've noticed, most of people start playing online games because of the following 3 reasons.
1. They're bored, and they have nothing to do, so they'll just stick on something that will let them be busy for a long period.
2. They like controlling people, or just they like to have power, so they'll actually try to go in an online FPS, and running for an high position or becoming the most powerfull player just for bitching with people.
3. they're just depressed in their life, and they're actually on games for trying to get new friends, or just socialize with blind people like them.
This is my opinion, feel free to say that what I said was a shitty wrong thing.

Paul

2018-04-06 16:04:15

hi, I don't agree with the fact that younger people prefer to play online games because they require less strategy. Firstly, there are online games out there that I know are played by young kids which do require a lot of planning and tactics. Take for example things like crazy party's battle mode, or good old sound rts possibly with the crazy mod attached. Also, someone who I can't remember said that fps games are prefered by young people because they don't require much thinking, that is also flawed. Yes, it may be true for the blind community, and especially for recent games such as redspot, the killer and other games of the same sort. However it is not true of older titles such as rtr in which there was no such thing as item hoarding, and broot force would often be your downfall rather than your ticket to kills, and it is most definitely not true of mainstream shooters, which factor in a lot of things such as terrain, weapon types, armor, aiming, platforming and other elements that our games often don't have.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-04-06 16:04:31

Online games are potato chips. They're engineered to keep you wanting more, but in terms of social nutrition, they make you feel like you're consuming something satisfying but they just make you hungrier. ... I struggle to find a way to phrase this that isn't overgeneralizing, and I loathe overgeneralizing. -_-
I like this explanation because it focuses on culturally independent things like addiction and social health. I never would have made the connection to trolls and power-gluttons on my own, but it hits the same points for them as for the bored and lonely, in this sense, doesn't it? I'm not really sure.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-06 16:43:57

@6 I've spent enouh time both on xbl and psn to know that while there is rampent immaturity there, as well as all the other communities Defender mentioned, there is something different about the nature of the drama that goes on in the blind gaming community. Defender put it wel when he said that a big part of it is size, and the fact that many people who are blind already feel a sense of entitlement and that the world owes them something after putting them in a shity spot like being blind, especially in third world or less developed countries. Even in developed countries like the US and Canada, there are entitled blind people everywhere... and unfortunately the young kids who get everything handed to them are the ones that most reflect that attitude in gaming online. This leads to so much infighting it explains why we don't have examples of *quality* online games, or why so many games developed by younger folks that try and emulate fps games end up being simple point and shoot fests which comes down to how many rounds of amo you happen to have in your current weapon. As CAE put it, it's about quick satisfaction... until they get bored, or the only satisfaction they get is killing newbies because that's the only fun to be had anymore. But the mainstream community certainly has its own toxicity...

2018-04-06 16:47:47 (edited by monkey999 2018-04-06 16:53:06)

I'm a 11 old kid and my reason is becouse ther are any peaple that are blind and than you can talk with peaple of your sort, I hope that I can explain this a little bid and have a good day.

Awesome, you made it to the end!
Hit h to go to the next post.

2018-04-06 16:57:06

8, that's convincing and definitely makes sense.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-04-06 17:01:31

I don't like most of the FPS's we have nowadays. They all come down to who has the least life. What I mean by that is, someone with nothing else to do will spend 9+ hours grinding, hoarding, etc. Then if you come in as a newbie, you get dominated and there's nothing you can do. Factor in trying to learn the game with getting shot every 2 minutes, where's the fun in that. Then, when you do get a shot off, or two or 5 or even 10, they have so much health / armor / protection, you haven't dented them.

Now, games like RTR, I'm not good at either, but its skill based, so fine, I just suck. But at least with that one its you versus your opponent, not you versus some hopped up person that just spent the last 14 hours grinding.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-06 17:04:42

I’m a kid
I like both online games, and off-line games
So yeah

2018-04-06 20:03:08

I guess you might be able to call me a kid, I'm 18 and I can do a lot of things now because of that but I guess my brain hasn't developed as much as it will, and won't until I'm 25 or whatever age they say that is. I personally like online games, or rather, liked online games. Regardless of strategy which Conner pointed out, (BTW that is a good point,) there's still a level of mindlessness to these games. Sure, in Crazy Party you do have to think a little bit when trying to pick a card, but it's not like some of these games that people want to see like city simulators and stuff like that. Me personally, I like to have games where you're not having to think a lot, because after all that is what games are for right? Now, I'm not saying I won't play games like that every once in a great while because I will, but generally I just like to play stuff mindlessly. I haven't gotten into online games recently, mainly because I can't find any good ones anymore. Keep in mind that this is all just my opinion, feel free to disagree if you'd like.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-04-06 21:22:06

@13, this is the problem with all the online fps games we have now. Even RTR, for all that there is no buildup of life and amo, stil comes down to who can hit the control key the fastest. lol

2018-04-06 21:42:51

Hello folks! Well, it is a fact that teens, in most cases are still looking for a social niche. And this is what tend to lead them to look for groups, so they can feel part of something. NRecently the most commom way to achieve that is through online gaming. It may not be all the reasons behind the fact, but I believe this may explain at least a bit. And ofcourse, people may have other reasons for playing only besides that.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-04-07 04:53:03

I don't like simple online FPS games. I like online games with tasks, plots, and transactions and cooperation.
Online games with many interactive ways

2018-04-07 05:17:52 (edited by defender 2018-04-07 05:24:20)

Honestly I'm kinda surprised I didn't get ripped a new asshole for the end of post four... rofl

Connor
I find that as long as an online game is easily accessible, E.G. you don't need to forward ports and the server or servers are up most of the time, than you'll have quite a few people playing simply because it's a multiplayer game, and meeting other blind people you get along with is pretty neat. Either that or their is no offline mode and they just want to be able to play the game for the sake of it.
However if the game has a steep learning curve and requires some skill, you'll be losing players that were never really serious about playing it anyway left and right, and the bulk of those that remain will only come on sometimes and just sorta, exist, suckally LOL, probably to enjoy what everyone else is doing vicariously or to say they've played it.
For instance, that guy that just lets him self get shot, or fires rockets and grenades then finds a bomb to blow up on in RS, or the guy that waits for ever at the prompt and always gets a super low score on Crazy Party, or someone constantly asking basic questions but never really actually putting the answers into effect either do to a language barrier or just plain impatience...
Those who really stick with the strategic and skill based games and get to at least an intermediate skill level are actually surprisingly few and far between especially for less generic titles, that's why we always end up bumping into the same like ten people again and again.. tongue.

Assault Freak
Actually that's pretty much any FPS mainstream or not, at least at first, and if you play most of them for long enough (RTR being one of them) than you gain a core group of people you enjoy playing with, as I'm sure you've experienced your self.
So yeah the newbies will just button mash but the more advanced guys will jump around at odd angles, get behind you to fire, set up quickly in ambush spots when they hear you coming and get you with the crossfire, use different weapons for various ranges depending on what they're best with, use their knowledge of the map to quickly hit all the main item spawning areas, adjust their aim constantly and use bursts while they are firing to avoid recoil ETC.
And I'm talking from experience, being somewhere between intermediate and advanced in terms of skill with that game my self and having watched the top dogs on the camera, though it always takes me a bit to get my groove back when I've been gone for a while LOL.
It's the same with Redspot as well, though I only ever got to an intermediate level their and not for very long.
You tend to make your own fun rather than having a bunch of difficult but sequential moves to use for instance, playing stealth based or highly goal oriented missions, or having the advanced cover and raised firing positions provided by mainstream games, but it's still their for sure.

2018-04-07 09:45:00 (edited by assault_freak 2018-04-07 09:46:21)

Yeah... I still don't necessarily agree with that, but we will agree to disagree, I suppose. Most mainstream fps games are definitely not that simple even at first sight, and however many maneuvers there are in RTR it stil comes down to who has the most ammo and who can hit the control key first. There's just something that's different in the quality and complexity, but I can't put it into words. If COD was the same or similar to RTR, it would've been droped a long time ago... Or counterstrike, for example, which is certainly a damned sight more complex than any audio shooter there is which is why it's now a professionally competition viable game. Audio shooters are just missing.. something, and I can't put my finger on what it is. But again, this is all opinion and a different topic.

2018-04-07 10:34:10

actually I think a reason younger people play online games more is they were brought up with them. I wasn't. they are only a relatively new thing. same way kids expect to be able to communicate with each other constantly, have tablets to watch movies on etc, it's what they grew up with and same with online gaming. the idea of not being part of a group while you're doing something is something they aren't used to, even when that is a group of people in a virtual environment. same as they spend all day watsapping, facebooking or what ever else. ok those things are probably out of date now too, I never got in to them. hell my parents use watsapp so I'm guessing no self respecting kid will touch it now.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-04-07 12:22:28

heh, whatsapp is used by pretty much everyone, because its a quite easy way to do group chats and whatnot. Back when I first discovered audio games about 8 years ago there weren't really any online games floating around, there were peer to peer games and local multiplayer ones but that was about it, no central servers or any of that. The first game I played online was probably audio quake, and that was after about a year of playing games with noone but myself.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-04-07 13:28:17

hey all.
I agree with what Muhammad Hajjar sayd in the first post. as a theenager, I like to play fps like rs and rtr but i enjoy rtr much more than rs. while i play rs out of boredomness  and i see someone is the best in there I simply give up because i don't want to grind and grind for 14 hours, I enjoy rtr a thousand times more. if anyone wants to battle with me on rtr my name is razvan, the same name i use on all audiogames big_smile
I still like more strategy games like tactical battle or the sympler ones like chess. the battle mode in crazy party doesn't really require strategy, you can turn the tables in a battle with luck too.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2018-04-07 13:41:48

So most of the comments here seem to be looking at the negative sie of online gaming, and yes there are a lot of negative sides but also a lot of positive sides to it as well. For instance online gaming is a great way to talk to other gamers, and for some blind gamers it could be the only interaction they have with people, not through their own choice, but they could live in an area where they don't have many friends or live quite some distance from any of their friends, so by going online to play games they are getting that bit of interaction tthat they need, otherwise they could just be playing single player games and feeling very alone. And yes while you do get players on online games that are dicks and cheats it's not always the kids that are being dicks or cheating like some of you are suggesting, I know of a few players on a game that have been banned for cheating and they are adults. But I love playing online games. And I can say that some of the people I've met on them even if we will never meet up in real life I class them as true friends.

2018-04-07 15:29:24

True ZK, that and you tend to get updates faster because you can do more serverside.
Also, with stuff like SBYW or RTR, the community can expand the game not only via suggestions but first hand by making new maps, and it gives you a cool insight into someone else's creative mind, especially when you can then chat with them about it.
Not to mention that when teamplay does actually work, and your not just creaming some newbie again and again, it's really  satisfying and makes awesome recordings.
Also, you get to have personal interactions with non English speakers, even if you can't communicate, the sense of camaraderie is a great feeling!
I've had some of the most memorable moments of my life up to this point on multiplayer games, and like you and I think most of us, I've met some really interesting and likable people, even if most of them I didn't know for long.