2018-02-28 10:04:41

I agree with a lot of this. There's an old expression, TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. In that context, it means, if you're getting a free lunch, it's not really free. Somebody, somehow, is paying for you to have that lunch. Nothing comes from nothing, and in cases like this, you can't get something for nothing.

Same deal here. Either that money has to be coming from somewhere, or the whole thing is a scam and nobody will ever get paid. Money doesn't grow on trees.

In addition, while I haven't looked at the site, the very fact that they aren't transparent about what kind of work your computer is doing is very suspicious. It could be totally harmless, but probably means you don't really want to know what your computer is doing, because if you knew, you wouldn't allow it to continue. Or perhaps more to the point, they don't want you to know what your computer is doing so you'll stay blissfully unaware that you're helping governments crack encryption or sending spam or participating in a botnet doing denial of service attacks on companies or helping bad guys distribute illegal materials I dare not even speak of on this forum. And if one or more of these scenarios turns out to be true and you get caught, "I was just running this program to make a little extra money on the side, I didn't know what my computer was actually doing" won't get you far in court. And if you try to point blame on this company, saying, "I would never have done any of that stuff if they hadn't let me use their program," there's probably a neat little clause in their user agreement that covers that, and/or if they find out people are getting caught they'll conveniently disappear, never to be heard from again.

So the TL,DR version is: If you're willing to take that chance, go for it. It could be totally innocent. But I'm not holding my breath, and I'm certainly not giving it a try.

2018-02-28 19:14:21

51 nailed it. I completely agree. As an example, take a company like Degoo. They offer backup services and allow your computer to back things up to their cloud. Guess what, though? They do a side-service, using your CPU power too. What does that CPU power do? It mines script-based currencies. They tell you exactly what your processor does at http://support.degoo.com/customer/en/po … ime-mean-. This company doesn't even tell you what your processor is doing. And what's worse is that it's hard to track what it's doing. A tool like Procmon and a little tool I wrote to translate CSV logs of Procmon's activities into simple, easy-to-read formats won't help you either because you'd need to track *everything*. And that can generate half a billion events in less than 10 seconds.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-05 23:31:26

Just in case the software is malicious, on the data side I have it running on a computer that literally has no personal logins to anything saved, i.e my old unused machine so I can leave it running on s5 and let it enjoy itself. If it turns out to not be legitimate, I'll up and leave, but hey if it's just one more way to mine btc then that's not a problem. But I've taken precautions just in case it transfers more than just your compute power.

2018-04-06 00:07:11

Does that unused system have access to any shared network drives from other computers that *do* actually have valuable/private data on them? If so, then it's not really secure against all forms of data uploading/encryption/deletion.

2018-04-06 00:13:43 (edited by jack 2018-04-06 00:13:56)

Nope. IT actually contains a barely touched new installation of windows7, minimally configured. Barely used machine.

2018-04-06 00:51:42

so, been a fair few weeks since this topic started. anybody actually made any free money doing it? I'd have expected results by now.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-04-06 01:05:01

I'm looking for $3 by the end of the day as the O P suggested. As I am able to keep the thing running for 24 hours a day since I don't need to use this spare machine anyway, I'll look for something like that. Hopefully when the payouts happen it actually works.

2018-04-06 06:29:10

still doesn't answer my question. has anybody, actually cashed out any money from this and if so how much and is it worth me assigning a spare computer to do it, or is it as I sadly suspect, a scam?

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-04-06 09:03:52

Unfortunately I believe it's a scam. I have tried to apply to other jobs but after a few weeks I still haven't received an answer to my applications so I've given up on the thing. Something must be seriously wrong with this app if they don't even respond to people that applied for other jobs, it seems that the only way to earn income is through lending computing power and I'm not willing to spend months on a program that doesn't care about the other jobs that they offer enough to respond to my application.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-04-06 11:11:42

See? I saw a lot of videos on Youtube on how to do these little income extra money and stuff. But they don't works as expected. Those guys put up the videos on Youtube to make their channel gets more subscribers and the like. Nothing better than get a local job or something. It is worth than spend your computer's processor to random dudes on the net.

2018-04-06 13:27:19

Yeah, the only reason I kind of believed this was because of the actual legitimate practice of bitcoin mining becoming more common, so one may think it was just another one of those.

2018-04-07 14:19:54

wel. local jobs for people who're blind and sitll doing education is not the easiest thing to get. especially if it requires you to do practical stuffs such as standing behind a shop or lifting something or similar. you get what i mean

2018-04-07 16:13:43

Yup, agreed with Sito. Shame this thing is probably just another scam.

2018-04-07 20:13:37 (edited by revan 2018-04-07 20:18:23)

you cannot get money from this,  and even you try download btc apps,  they make money from ads
if you want reall bitcoins you have to buy high, latest graphic card stuff and higher cpu.  etc etc
i have my experience in iose and android,  whatever they called google play
search in google play earn money apps,  or bitcoin maker etc
you will collect 5000 points or 500 k bitcoin currency,  you won't get response from them if you reach minimum threshold
why they asking only you must collect 500 k points for withdraw and request payment,  cause collecting 500 k not too easy,  you have to watch billions of spyware ads
they making money from ads
if you watching their ads they are good to go
take an example,  the fabapp apps,  watch and earn,  i collected 5000 points they said payment in 24 hour after request
they did not pay
so i won't believe these guy will pay your money,  do not enter your email or your credentials,  my guess they getting something out of your account
or your computer will fill up ads,  your home pages will change,  you will notice strange programs running in task manager
I heard android devs creating multiple accounts and rating their apps 5 stars in google play or app store,  so fake reviews
who to believe these days

2018-04-08 00:29:16

@sito, I must disagree with your opinion (yes, its an opinion, not a fact) because your opinion sounds like it was born out of laziness and the unwillingness to actually do physical activities. Now, while I understand that in certain places it may be hard to get a job for a blind person, the classification of it being a heavy-lifting job or a salesperson making it hard to get that job has absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with it. What does have to do with it is whether the company thinks they have any use for you and/or your particular skills that you told them about on either your application, your interview, or both. But the job classification has nothing to do with it. Common sense also has a factor in job selection, too; a blind person obviously can't drive, which is unfortunate, but it is one of those barriers that will, in due time, hopefully be lifted. But most jobs, either in the IT field, sales, PR, etc., are jobs that blind people can do. If a blind person says that getting a job is hard for them, and they tell you the job, and the job is not a job such as an airplane pilot, a taxi driver, etc., then there are only three possibilities:
(1) that person did excellent on both the application and interview, but the company does not consider that person suitable for the job;
(2) the person failed somewhere in either or both the application or interview, or even failed a particular test, such as dress, first impressions, or appearance; or
(3) The person is simply too lazy and is using the excuse that jobs are hard to get to make it look like they can't get one to make it seem like their hard to get when it really isn't.
Now, I will not exclude the fourth, though unspoken, possibility of location or law; that is, the person is either in a location where, indeed, getting jobs because of a disability makes finding jobs difficult, or you are in a country where laws prohibit those with disabilities from getting jobs (though I can't imagine such a country). In that case, Sito's opinion then becomes fact, though, as I said, I can't imagine such a country.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-08 03:54:22

You don't have to be a sales person. Their are lots of jobs that blind people can do. Can a blind person becomes a computer technician? I'd say yes. Can a blind person becomes a teacher? I'd say yes, too. So, there are a lot of possibilities in fact, if you just sitting around and waiting for an easy job to becomes available, you'll not getting anywhere soon. Trust me. I know, in some countries are hard to get a job for blind people, Cambodia is one of them. But just keep on trying, you'll eventually get it.

2018-04-08 05:01:13

@Socheat, agreed. While it is true that some employers are discriminatory towards blind people, there are less and less of them every day. They discriminate against blind people and get linched by society for it because the employer most likely lost a valuable person who may have aided the company as a whole. Like I said though, there are less and less of those every day.

My Github

2018-04-08 10:56:27

lol if you call that lazyness i feel that i need to clear up afew things. I'm talking about blind people who're still doing education and might want some more money. Here at least you can't apply for a job that invollves companys or similar. you need an education, so if you still are studdying the only jobs you can get is physical once such as standing behind shops or similar which we blind people can't really do do to are blindness. at least here it is, noone will employ blind people unless they are educated first because we can't really do phisical jobs

2018-04-08 16:30:48

The ability or inability to do a "physical job" depends on the setting, the willingness of the employer to make the workplace accessible, and your orientation/mobility. There will definitely be blind people who can't do some jobs simply because they don't have good spacial awareness, among other things. You can't really lump everyone into one category though.

2018-04-08 17:27:37

@sito, Um... yes, you can. You can't do physical jobs? Bullshit, sir! You need an education to do high-paying jobs? Obviously. How else would you work hard to earn that money. Yes, you can do jobs like being that person who processes orders behind a sales counter. If your employer refuses to allow you to take that job purely because your blind, then they're not right for you. And of course your laws will forbid you from applying for jobs that require an education. Every country does that. But yes, you can do all the jobs that low incomes that the sited can do: processing orders, making drinks, that sort of thing. This is exactly how you climb the latter of society. You don't just immediately leap to the top and become leader of your country, for example. No, you start small, doing mundane things that bore you to death. Then, as people begin to notice you (which may take years, believe me) you climb up the social latter and get higher and higher paying jobs. Don't expect everything to come at you on a silver plate with pretty bows and cherries on top -- you won't get it. You need to prove that you can, in fact, work at a job, and survive in the workplace among all the rest of your responsibilities. If you can't do that while your earning an education, then clearly a job while your getting an education isn't the thing for you. If you then can't survive on a job after you've completed your education, then you've got some issues. smile

My Github

2018-04-08 17:38:24

You actually would trust a blind bartender? That's....brave of ya! I like my drinks in myhand, not over me. If I want to  spill my drink, that's on me, ya know....also nono, I said this in another topic but I'd have to catch up with the guy first...but I do know a blind guy who lugs rolls of carpet/lino/et around in a warehouse and puts them away, loads and unlaods them with the other guy in the warehouse and mans the showroom. I know, exception, not the rule but hey, just one guy shows it am be done.

Also for loaws....yes, places do exist that say if yer disabled ya can't work, not every country is as disabled friendly as the US or most of the EU, I'm looking at you smaller nations and various different cultures.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-04-09 10:05:47 (edited by sito 2018-04-09 10:08:46)

ethin, very kindly, would you  please stop for a sec and think about what you're saying?
Would you, as an employer want a blind bartender or someone blind standing behind your shop? it's not as easy as it seems, for once you would have tu make the customor feel as if you're listening to them and a big part of that is you having i contact with people and help them when they need it which you can't always do if something unexpected happends and you find your self doing something that you as a blind person can't do without accessibility. And most people wouldn't implement that for these kind of jobs, and especially not if you're just going to work during summer.
i know i for once wouldn't want a blind person standing behind my shop, lifting hevy things or working in a factory just for the reasons that 1, you need to be able to handel unexpected situations and make sure that people doesn't cheat you and 2, it's so easy that accidents can happen when you work in afactorry or wearhouses do to you not seeing what another employer does, even if it's not intentional it can happen if something unexpected accurs. At least I as an employer wouldn't risk that not just for the security of my employes but also because of the security for the blind person who wants this job.
That's how people think when it comes to these phisical jobs and that's why, at least here when you as a blind person want a job during education you wouldn't get one.

2018-04-09 23:34:50

Sito, has it occurred to you that wherever you are doesn't really have openminded employers? That being said I can vouch for Ethin's points to an extent, as they may not apply to other countries stuck in the past as far as opportunities for people with disabilities are concerned.

2018-04-10 00:43:54 (edited by turtlepower17 2018-04-10 00:55:18)

I think both sides have valid points here. For example, most high school kids get their start working in fast food establishments, or as cashiers. Sadly, these jobs really aren't all that accessible. I agree that it would be possible for someone to do some of the cooking, or washing dishes in a restaurant, but probably not at  McDonald's or something similar, due to how fast-paced it is. There's also tickets to consider, how exactly does a blind person handle those? I'm not saying it's impossible, but those are barriers that an employer, faced with 25 other applications submitted by able bodied folks, is probably not going to invest time in finding out. Working at a cash register, or really in most other aspects of retail, however, I really can't see how a blind person could do. I speak from experience; both my parents and my sister have spent most of their lives working in such environments. It would necessarily take longer to handle a customer's money, and we all know how impatient most people are. So they would probably complain to the management about that. There is also the messy situation of handling the inaccessible software that the store uses to complete transactions, print receipts, handle gift cards/rewards cards/credit cards, etc. Then there's the act of putting things on the shelves, making sure that stuff is in the correct order, etc. If these things could be accomplished, I would have followed in my family's footsteps a long time ago.

now, someone is probably going to mention that kids don't have to work in such places. They could volunteer at the humane society, nursing homes, or at homeless shelters. Altruism looks great on college applications, after all, and I'm only being slightly sarcastic here because it is true to a degree. It's really cliche, though, and not all people are cut out to do that type of stuff. What makes volunteering different, especially for someone who is just going through the motions to make themselves look good, is that this will surely be reflected in their drive and dedication. The difference between slaving away at a crappy job you despise all day long and doing something you despise for the sake of it is usually the money. Sorry to say, but it's true. Then again, not everyone is cut out for retail work, either. Judging by the amount of complaining I've heard throughout my life about it, it can be thankless, exhausting, and gruelling. Clearly, though, it works for the vast majority of people who are just getting their start, even if they hate it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-10 01:39:36

@72, I obviously have thought of what I'm thinking. Your making yourself look helpless -- exactly what employers dislike. Furthermore, your making your country look like its antiquated and is still in the 80s and 90s (which it clearly is not). Yes, I'd love it if a blind person worked at a business I ran, with heavy-lifting and all that. You ever heard the term 'adaptations'? Its also known as 'accommodations'. 99 percent of corporations are willing to incorporate them to aid you if you successfully get a job with them. Stop trying to make it look like you can't do shit and actually go try stuff before you just say "Oh, blind people can't do this because so and so."

My Github