2018-03-27 06:30:00 (edited by Dan Gero 2023-07-19 07:29:40)

Hello guys...
For anyone who's new to the audio gaming community and doesn't know what Battle Zone is, I'll explain a little bit.
In 2011, Philip released a game engine known as BGT, and his goal for making it was to allow people to code audio games easier without the hassle of having to hunt down a bunch of libraries to make it happen. Throughout BGT's development, Carlos Macintosh, affectionately known as Keywasfull, began work on his new title, Battle Zone. At first this was just a simple side scroller, but it quickly evolved into a huge game that gained wide spread recognition among hundreds if not thousands of blind people in the audio gaming community. Interesting fact, it was also one of three games that gained a tun of reputation at the Governor Morhead school for the blind in Raleigh, North Carolina. The other two were Descent into Madness and The Last Crusade. Eventually, Carlos dropped support for the game some time in 2017, 7 years after the game was developed.
Now, I know what you're thinking. "What the hell does this have to do with you. You're just some random guy who posts a lot of stuff on the forum." So, bare with me just a minute while I explain myself.
I'm a high school student in North Carolina, and I am a major geek. I will tinker and screw around with just about anything I can get my hands on, which explains why I've broken a lot of things in the past and got into trouble a few times. Just a month or maybe two ago, I was messaging my friend Jack and I said, "You know, Battle Zone was a great game, but Key isn't supporting it any more, and he recently open sourced it, so lets do something with it." So we went to his website and tried to get the game. Unfortunately, we got a 404 error when trying to download it. I talked to him and it seems that he no longer has the latest version of the source , so he gave us the source for version 13.1 which is close enough. I asked him just to clarify if I could do what I want with it as long as he's credited as the original developer, and he said yes. So, off to work we went. Originally we wanted to complete the version that already exists by adding the third boss to it, and then making it bigger. Jack said he wanted to hold off the third boss for now. So I asked Key if I could append the name pro to the end of it, and he said yes again. He also stated that he was pretty much done with the project.
So with that, it was called Battle Zone Pro. Now, here's a little tidbit about me. I am extremely ambitious and have really huge ideas for what I want to do with something. Because of this, I wanted to make Battle Zone a platforming game. Jack quickly talked me out of this, informing me that this game, being a hack-n-slash at its core, was never intended to be that way. Now, my new idea is to make it like bzr, with the same story elements and everything that made the original Battle Zone so great.
So, that's our story. Lastly, I'd like to tell you how all of you can play into this.
One of our goals for BZP is to use sounds that we have the rights to instead of stolen sounds. So far we're doing a good job with that, but one thing that makes it more difficult are the enemies. Our idea is, if we can get people to make enough enemy sounds for us, then it'll make our job easier. That's where you guys come in. We don't have a planned release date for this revamp, so there are no time constraints. All you guys have to do is submit your voice clips here in this topic, or send them to me via email or pm. Here's the list of sounds that we need for the enemies. We need at least one of each, but you can have more if you want.
Death sound
Falling down a pit sound
Light pain grunt.
Heavy pain grunt.
Swing grunt sound, i.e., when the enemy swings a Millay weapon.
Taunt
You can record them however you want. If you want to send a single file with all the clips you can do that, or you can send them in a zip. You also don't have to make it human, if you want to make it a chipmunk on steroids or a behemoth with sunglasses, you can do that. All we ask is that you don't steal sounds from anyone else, and try to use a mic that doesn't have tuns of background noise or buzzing or anything like that.
Thank you to anyone who decided to sit through this post. If you have any questions, complaints, insults, diatribes, or anything of the sort, let us know. All kidding aside, we do ask you to try to keep your criticism constructive.
Thanks for reading and go crazy, or something.
(Posted by Dan, edited by Jack)

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-03-27 06:42:39

oh I can do that, lol, my mixer has voice shit built in and if that's not good enough, I can use reaper.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-27 06:50:13

I added something to the first post that I forgot about until now, it's an extra enemy sound.

TWITCH

2018-03-27 06:50:16

Awesome. To be clear, we already have a falling down a pit sound if you want to get technical. But we are deploying other fallable traps, so we need sounds for those.

2018-03-27 06:52:54

I'd prefer to have other people record falling sounds though, because it would just sound weird if you didn't. You'd record a behemoth monster and if he fell down a pit or whatever he'd have a human scream, which wouldn't make sense.

TWITCH

2018-03-27 06:54:47

well I can put my recorder in the yard and jump off the second story balcony... I'd probably survive it if I relaxed first.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-27 06:57:49

No no, there's no need for that, the scream would be good enough.

TWITCH

2018-03-27 06:59:27 (edited by jack 2018-03-27 07:01:29)

@ironcross32 Well done! If you did that, just imagine the video going viral before the end of the day. And then you could put that on a resume for a sound engineering career and it would be a lifetime pass. Lol

2018-03-27 16:16:12 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-03-27 16:16:41)

wow.. well, there are some sounds available out there and many free resources but I will see what I can do too. where do I send the clips. I really love this idea!

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-03-27 17:30:07

Just send the clips to this topic or through email or PM. You can use any file sharing service you want, i.e., dropbox or sync.

TWITCH

2018-03-27 17:56:00 (edited by Lucas1 2018-03-27 17:57:01)

Well, I can't really do sounds, I can do code though. Last I remember though, Keys code in BZ was... uh... a lot different than my own and I'm honestly not sure if I could really work with it.

2018-03-27 23:42:48

@Lucas1853 Thank you for the offer. I'll need to discuss it with Jack, but we'll get back to you.

TWITCH

2018-03-28 05:25:10

Wow! lastly was a version or offisial official releace of bzr but wow! ammazing amazing! I hope I will have to make enemy sounds, but musical classes are on my way, so at 05:00 P.M. I will inform you when I will create it.

73 Wj3u

2018-03-29 01:02:28

Now I finished my music classes, yeh!
I think I may make an enemy somehow.

73 Wj3u

2018-03-29 02:21:14

Hey folks, I have something for you all to vote on. Do you guys think BZP should have native joystick support? Why and/or why not?

TWITCH

2018-03-29 11:18:05

of course it should. We need more audio games to do this, frankly its just sad to see the lack of gamepad controllable games. Sure, its gotten a bit better recently with audio strike and ahc, but there's always room for improvement.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-03-29 17:38:54

Hi,
I think that would be a good idea for joystik/gamepad support, because of what Connor said. plus, for those who own a gdp win it'll mean they'd be able to use the in-built control pad.

2018-03-29 21:22:51

Here's my voices contrib, let me know if yall need help splitting it up or whatever:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/90fycvtk6mez5 … n.zip?dl=1

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-29 23:24:27

Brandon is now a regular enemy in BZP, and his enemy name is huge towering bastard. Thanks for helping us out man.

TWITCH

2018-03-30 10:49:49

Call me stupid, but what's... BZP stand for? lol thanks.

2018-03-30 11:37:31

battlezone pro

2018-04-02 23:22:45

Accepted. Now, as or if the development was dormant untill this year, I was dreaming of playing this bzp thingy...

73 Wj3u

2018-04-04 12:00:19

Hi all, i am sorry that i can not help with the sound design, i am not good with it, but i would like to ask some one if there is already an audio demo to here what the game sounds like?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-04-04 23:00:02

This should be cool, I always liked Battle Zone.

And yeah, the more games that have joystick support, the better.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-04-05 04:34:20

I also agree with joystick support. We need more games that take advantage of the hardware.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.