2018-03-31 02:34:06 (edited by queenslight 2018-03-31 17:21:36)

Then

From 1999 to 2014, the "Microsoft Network/Windows Live Messenger" application was one of the major portals for connecting people all around the world.
These days, "Skype" created in 2003 and bought by Microsoft in 2011 became more popular as time went on, thus the "classic" days of MSN ended in 2014.

Alongside Messenger, there was "Spaces," Microsoft's original social network. It ran from 2004 til 2011.

Now

Fast forward to 2017, "Jonathan Kay" creator of the web site and comunity Messenger Geek and the once ever popular "Messenger Reviver" application (which has been "discontinued,") brings along the "Next Generation" of MSN Nostallja.

That new generation of Microsoft Network social goodness, is called "Escargot," and has been around since at least May 18th 2017, the day when Microsoft "shutdown" the "original" Messenger servers for good.

Connect!

For an "how-to Escargot" guide on getting connected and chatting with your fellow MSN friends all in one place, take a trip on over to 

http://www.howtoescargot.ml

If you however, are the type who prefers "direct" links, read below!

2018-03-31 05:24:01

this can't be real. my cousin was on WLM back in the early 2000s, going under the somewhat racist name of no1spic (no joke).

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-03-31 09:30:31

Yep, its real alright...

For the latest server stats of people online, see:
https://escargot.log1p.xyz/stats
NB. As of this posting at around 1:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time, there's 822 people logged on.

2018-03-31 11:29:18

What's this? Something like Facebook? Why should I use it?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-03-31 14:36:52 (edited by queenslight 2018-03-31 14:40:49)

Before I answer @nuno69's question, looks like I have a thread title to update!

Thanks to the below URL:

http://www.howtoescargot.ml

(a "phan site" for "Escargot MSN info,) looks like there is a revival "MSN Spaces" too!

Now, about MSN Messenger history in a nutshell.

Started in 1999 as the "MSN Messenger Service," followed by the most comon name of "MSN Messenger." In 2005 till its "original" end in 2014, it was called "Windows Live Messenger" do to a "branding" change.

In addition, WLM for a time, also partnered up with "Yahoo Messenger!"

Think of the "Microsoft Network Messenger" like "Skype," but "way cooler!"

Oh, I should mention
, Microsoft bought Skype in 2011, and in 2013 they were fazing out the "original" messenger servers.

2018-03-31 20:53:12

The thing it's based on was like Skype, but not a bloated nightmare with accessibility issues. It was light-weight, more convenient regarding saving conversations, you didn't need to install screen reader addons to navigate the thing at a reasonable speed to keep up with conversations, and the conversation format seemed cleaner IMO (more like Facebook Messenger, except, you know, lighter, more screen reader friendly, and didn't crash every five seconds like Facebook Messenger did until recently).
Whether Escargot is sufficiently WLM-like in the ways that count, I do not yet know (on my phone), but if so, let it grow.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-04-01 00:21:37

Speaking of the old Messenger... Anyone know where the heck those wake up and blart sounds came from? They were sounds that some people would play through that Messenger Plus thing.

2018-04-01 14:18:50

Well folks,

If ya look up at the top post, its been "majorly" updated!

I'll be ading a section up there for how to connect with me via said platforms, both Escargot Messenger and Spaces if you'd like to do so.

2018-04-04 04:00:15 (edited by cj89 2018-04-04 04:01:57)

Cool for those who want it I guess. I can probably name 1 person who might still use msn given the chance. Don't really see much of a point since social media now trumps msn in pretty much any way. I have lots of memories, some rather special ones actually. But yeah no use going backwards imo

2018-04-04 20:27:01

I feel like the only thing that comes close to the same function is text messaging. Twitter and Facebook are completely different beasts, other than Facebook Messenger, which is halfway between Skype and MSN in terms of clutter. Skype on iOS is a lot closer to MSN, I suppose, but then you don't get file transfers and the like. Give me something light, 2010s. It should not be this hard. Gah, even our software is facing an obesity epidemic.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.