2015-07-24 20:34:25

Hi folks,
I believe at the time of X-Sight's closure I said that everything was considered abandonware. Most of the games and utilities were transferred to my personal website, but I had a hard drive crash around that time so couldn't transfer ASE over.
It turns out my wife has a version, but Jack and I tested it only to find it was pretty much broken, I suspect some kind of beta, since she was my main tester. Also, to make things worse, I can't be certain of this, but I think the registration data was machine tied, although it may not have been since X-Wheel was name-based.
In any case, ASE wasn't very popular as a selling point, and I can't really say I blame it. A lot of people thought it more akin to Goldwave, the difference is that ASE does it all for you if you give it the triggers. I guess it's better for live, on-the-fly performances and/or personal meditation/relaxation/imagination/sound drawing, whatever you want to call it. Whereas with goldwave a sound is static to exactly the way you edit it, ASE is a dynamic ambiance engine that makes it sound like you're at a live event by putting various trigger effects over the loop so it doesn't seem too obvious.
I'm hoping to make a better soundscape engine though, this time with 3D sound rather than just stereo. That seemed to be the most common request for the previous version.
Hope this answers some questions.
Kind regards,
Damien.

2015-11-11 00:41:22

Hi.
I have got both the setup file and the patch for it as well as the tutorial of how to create soundscapes.
I will provide the links for all below.
But unregistered copies have got a limitation of running each soundscape for 5 minutes only.
You can start the soundscape again for another 5 minutes.
So if you create a soundscape you won't be able to benefit from it.
You would be able to listen to it for 5 minutes but you wouldn't be able to compile it in 1 single file to give it to others.

Anyway the links.
Active soundscape engin setup.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/198 … -Setup.exe
The patch file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/198 … -Patch.exe
Tutorial of how to make soundscapes.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/198 … torial.htm
Finally.
My soundscape called Cyprus village.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 … illage.ase
I can give you the soundscape script if you are interested. The sounds I recorded are available in my twitter favorites.
twitter.com/nikosdemetriou
I think it was a really nice project and it shouldn't be abandoned
I think only 3 users bought it or something like that.

Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2015-11-11 04:45:57

Damien, I am happy to say the registartion system for active soundscape engine, like x-wheel, is a name-key system. Since the intent was to make ase abandonware when the former x-sight closed, would it be ok for registered users to pass outa license for people to use?

2015-11-11 08:53:21

I have got my register information but I will only pass it along if Damien is ok with it.
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2015-11-11 15:31:50

Does... Damien still come here? I'd guess the best place to contact him would be dcpendleton.co.uk, his website.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-11-12 14:01:49

He's actively on twitter as @dcpendleton, that's another way to contact him.

2015-11-14 02:25:50

But he said everything from x-site was abandanware?

2015-11-14 03:58:41

That's right, he did. X-wheel was released as freeware, true to that word. Active soundscape engine was also planned to be released as freeware before he lost it in a pc crash. I do think it's safe to pass around.

2015-11-14 04:26:40

Well, agreed with Jack here.

2018-04-02 02:08:54

does anyone still have this thing? the links do not work

my discord: gamer20#7735
my keybase, note you will need the keybase mac, linux, or windows client to access it: k:\public\theblindgamer50
if you also wish to contact me on telegram, you can do so by going to this link: http://t.me/theblindgamer50
have a nice day!

2018-04-02 08:35:03

Hi.

Below are the setup files again.
Hopefully this time the links won't stop working.
The main setup file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zha6gtxvt2yal … p.exe?dl=1

The bug fix patch.
I think this one gives the ability to control the volume of a soundscape with the arrow keys.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3273jq7gh4bfh … h.exe?dl=1

Finally the documentation of how to make soundscapes.
Only registered users can compile them to a single file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3klzwmspkl2ef … l.htm?dl=1

Finally my soundscape called Cyprus village.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0inerw358iwgq … e.ase?dl=1

Finally I think it is time to give my registration info.
Registration name: Nikos Demetriou
Unlock key: a3c7288b021df2
Enjoy.

2018-04-02 13:01:38 (edited by Orko 2018-04-02 13:24:14)

For those that want it, here is a link to a zip file that contains the engine, patch, and tutorial that won't expire like Dropbox links do.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zs3pkb

Unfortunately I don't have any registration keys I can share, actually I don't have any at all, so this will only run as a 5 minute demo. If I get my hands on a registration key I'm allowed to share, I'll include it.

I'll also be submitting this to the Audio Games Archive so people will always have a place to go to get this.

If anyone has a registration key they are willing to share with me, please send it to me via PM. Unless you specifically tell me otherwise, the key you share will be treated as for my use only and not to be shared.

2018-04-04 18:39:08

I'm getting a weird issue where on windows 10 I can't save anything to the folder, because, quote, I don't have permission... I can't make any packs, because it won't let me save anything to the folder from Gold wave or any other program. I have to copy stuff over, and even then, it's an unnecessary pain. How do I fix this?

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-04-04 20:01:30

If the folder you are trying to save to is in the Program Files folder, you can't, it's a protection system within Windows.

Alternatively, you can try running Gold Wave or what ever you're trying to save with as an administrator.

2018-04-04 20:06:28

can you compile and run soundscapes that are outside of the soundscapes folder? If not, I guess I'll have to continue copying. Other than that I'm making one called chaos. Think, a city gone crazy. Drive by shootings, cars speeding by, people causing trouble, distant scream, the whole nine yards.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-04-04 20:14:14

I don't know as I haven't tried messing with it yet.

2018-04-04 20:58:48

can you compile and run soundscapes that are outside of the soundscapes folder? If not, I guess I'll have to continue copying. Other than that I'm making one called chaos. Think, a city gone crazy. Drive by shootings, cars speeding by, people causing trouble, distant scream, the whole nine yards.I'm getting a weird error failed to validate audio file. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong

2018-04-06 01:57:49

Hi.
You can have your soundscapes in any folder you like. They don't have to be in the soundscapes folder in program files.

If during installation you enabled the file associations the program needs then you can right click your script file with the extension ass and compile your soundscape in a single file with the extention ase.
Then you can distribute your ase file and other users can play it if they installed active soundscape engine.
Nikos

2018-04-06 02:20:12

I submitted the Active Soundscape Engine to the audio games archive and was told that the submission completes their collection of X Site Interactive games.

It is now online and ready for download and includes a registration key courtesy of Mason Armstrong with permission from the developer.

Enjoy folks!

2018-04-07 01:46:31

ok guys.
So I've been messing with this almost all day, and I try to make an env thingy.
This goes well, but when I try and run it, or compile, it gives the following error.
ASE Compile Error  dialog  An error has occurred whilst validating the script file e:\ass\soundscapes\battle\battle.ass .
Error: The key/value separator equals (=) sign cannot be found (Error code 6).
Line: 1
Text: ---start---
Failing value: 0

Can someone tell me what this is and what it means? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance.
Audiogame

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2018-04-11 23:12:37

Hi.
As far as I know you don't write ---start--- at the beginning of your soundscape.
This was written in the tutorial to mark the beginning of the example.

My soundscape starts as follows.

name="Cyprus village, morning sounds in a small Cypriot village. Most sounds are recorded by me but some of them are from www.freesound.org"

If you want the rest of my code I can post it here.
To be honest I don't remember how to make them any more.
I just had a quick look at my file.
I will have to study the tutorial again to be able to make another one.

Nikos

2018-04-18 23:37:52

I keep getting errors every time I try to make a soundscape, something about not being able to validate an audio file. I wonder if anyone is making an engine like this, but menu based. That would be so much easier.

2018-04-19 05:03:02

techmaster20:
I'd write a small app that helps with building a soundscape, but the problem is Not a lot of people use this app as far as I know.
Although to be honest, it is way more simple than writing a specific app for creating soundscapes.

2018-04-21 04:12:15

I honestly think that if you did make a gui for this, more people would  use it.

2018-04-24 21:31:22

I'd even pay you to make said app if you wanted.