2018-04-03 08:23:55

As I said previously, this is another reason I just don't do the whole amazon music thing at all,  is either extremely inaccurate, or tells you you need to sign up for unlimited, and given inaccuracy I'm not about to do that.

Its in the games and skills that Alexa really shines.

I will admit I don't tend to trust Alexa with actual amazon orders, though this might change in the future, we'll see.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-03 09:18:52

Chiming here on one thing... I don't know what issues people have on the amazon website. I routinely shop on it using NVDA and chrome and have no issues at all. It's so easy that it actually gets a little dangerous... I haven't run into any accessibility issues, at all.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-03 09:41:00

The Amazon site works perfectly for me, too.
And wow, how did you do these prankes with Alexa?
I want to do some, too.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-04-03 09:42:03

I never have trouble with Amazon while shopping, it's just filling in the return form or trying to change card info. It gets a bit hit and miss then, and it's been like that a long time as I think Orko said earlier. NVDA does better than jaws, and I haven't tried Chrome, but it definitely needs looking at. I have contacted Amazon accessibility, but with no actual change to the forms. I think one of the responses was something hopeless like use the mobile site. I got the feeling this was a cut and paste response to any accessibility question.

2018-04-03 11:51:03

I have absolutely no problem that ironcross32 doesn't like the idea of needing his physical card to put into a reader to make an online purchase, none at all, different strokes for different folks. I draw the line, however, when he decides to be disrespectful by calling it and its proponents dumb or any other derogatory name he chooses, there's no need or call for that kind of behavior.

If he doesn't like being compared to a small child, then he shouldn't call something I like, and me by extension, dumb or whatever name he likes.

2018-04-03 13:24:19 (edited by jack 2018-04-03 13:24:41)

Precisely where I was going too. And on that same page, the Amazon site may work different for different folks. Makes me wonder if the site is genuinely laid out different for different countries, as I've seen the UK one for example, and vs the US one that we use it's pretty different as far as the page layout is concerned. That could certainly have something to do with how accessible  or maybe not accessible the site is. As for the jokes, that happens when you asked Alexa to sing a song on April1st. She might not do it anymore considering it isn't April1 anymore, which is why I ran her through line--in to record them.

2018-04-03 13:28:52

Woohoo! I just found out my Google Home Max and Mini will be delivered today!

Since some people have expressed interest in hearing about my experiences with it, I will start a new thread when it arrives and start with unboxing it.

See you then!

2018-04-03 13:37:46

Thanks alot Jack and Orko, and yeah Jack, it does not work animore.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-04-03 16:29:31

Both the US site and Canadian site are laid out in pretty similar ways... so I'm still not sure what people are strugling with. But it may indeed vary by location.. but I've shopped on both sites with no issues. I do it a little too regularly, in fact... lol. I wish the gogle home max would hurry up and come to Canada already!

2018-04-03 17:45:03

shopper on the UK and  US amazon sites here, I don't see what everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over. I'd say that the UK site is a tad less cluttered over all but I can use both with equal functionality.  The only thing with the US site is that the suggestion box that opens when you begin a search can freeze the page for a few seconds, but that's really not going to make me abandoned them for some proprietary thing with a card reader. OCR your card, memorise the details and shop wherever you like and however you like.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-04-03 18:09:36

It was indeed the section for card details that was playing silly beggars on the Amazon site, however as I said that was with internet explorer. I suspect this is a browser issue rather than specifically a website one and is another reason I've now almost permanently switched from Ie to chrome. Paypal's site was having similar problems as were several others.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-03 18:10:13

Right on Exodus! My feelings exactly. Especially since paywithchip is probably not in Canada.. and I store my card info on amazon anyhow and there's no need to enter my card information every time.

2018-04-03 18:21:40 (edited by Orko 2018-04-03 18:40:01)

I would really like to hear an honest report from these people telling us to OCR our cards after they've tried to do just that with a card they no nothing about.

I suspect these people have been blind most of, if not all of, their lives and have never actually seen a credit or debit card, because if they had, they'd know that it can't be done.

On top of that, the argument about using a proprietary system makes no sense, Amazon is proprietary to them, Walmart is proprietary to them, you use a proprietary screen reader on a proprietary operating system, yet I don't hear you complaining about that.

I'd hardly call a chip reader proprietary, terminals that read the chip in your card instead of you having to swipe the card are everywhere. Envision America's Script Talk talking prescription labels uses the same RFI technology, and so does some denominations of US currency.

Proprietary my butt! That's just a meaningless argument that makes no sense.

2018-04-03 18:51:42

@63 well sorry you can't figure it out, but it is quite possible.

I've also had no issues browsing Chrome's website, with the exception of the returns form as someone mentioned, which is a bit of a cluster cluck smile

I have one click ordering turned on though, so I can just grab my phone and get like 6 or 8 things no problem very quickly.

@Dark The issue with albums and stuff doesn't just pertain to Amazon Music, but also extends to Spotify if you link Alexa up, which is what I did.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-03 18:59:29

Orko, yeah. I figured I'd just hop on here and tell people to do a thing I've actually never done myself. I'd also like to inform you that the developers of just about every credit card app out there would like a word with you, They all allow you to scan in  your cards. Given that it's  part of the functionality of a bunch of apps, I'm sorry to tell you that it is possible. I did it the other day with my replacement card from my bank. Light your card with a defused light source and shoot from about 12 inches away. If you just charge in there with your phone flash on, you'll capture a massive blurry blob of light. But you're the card snapping expert, so you should already know this.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-04-03 18:59:43

@Orko, Firstly please just relax, no need to  being tense just because your holding a different opinion.

I'll say myself, my issue with a card reader tied to one website is rather similar to  dislike of Itunes. Suppose I buy a card reader for this site and use my card in it. That is fine as far as this specific site goes, but what happens next time I want to buy something else on a service not! supported by this site? or make a charitable donation with my credit card, or heck just use my credit card over the phone to order pizza big_smile.

If the reader were to let you stick in a credit card and also! give you the number that would be a good thing indeed, since then you have the choice of when or where to use your card, either with the reader on this reseller site or somewhere else. Likewise, if the card reader were generalised so that it would work with a number of sites that would be a good thing, but I will admit the idea of having a card you cannot otherwise read and only a reader attached to one site that can access it smacks a little too much of monopolisation for my liking.
Of course if I had this reader I could still get my card details read (my bank will do it if nobody else will), but then again if I am having my credit card details read anyway, what is the point exactly of using a usb card reader in the first place?

Yes admittedly, the hole world these days is tied to monopolisation and virtually every company out there is  increasingly trying harder and harder to tie you to their ecosystem and nothing else, but no reason to accelerate this process in the name of accessibility if you can avoid it.

2018-04-03 19:13:16 (edited by flackers 2018-04-03 19:28:19)

I just looked at the amazon UK returns procedure using chrome and NVDA, and although it's possible to do it, just like it is with IE and NVDA, it's not behaving the way it should. You have to sort of muddle through, but I can't fully test it because that would mean starting a return when I don't want to. Remember it's the returns form and stuff not the shopping features that have accessibility issues. Go to your orders, click return item on an order that's returnable, and press x to go to the checkbox for the item. Now down arrow and listen to what a confusing mess it is. It keeps saying checkbox unchecked on things that aren't even checkboxes, and the one thing that is a checkbox, is checked. I'd say where screen reader users are concerned, this needs looking at. Once you know they're not check boxes, it's not a problem, but it's a bit of a mess, and if you're using jaws, you can't even get at the combo box to say why you're returning it, so it's totally inaccessible.

2018-04-03 19:21:39

Lovely party Geoffrey, but there's a turd in the punch bowl.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-04-03 19:50:21

I've tried all the tips for OCR with cards, but can't get it. I've got an iphone 7 with seeing AI, and a pearl camera with FS openbook. The pearl gets great results for letters and books and stuff, but says nothing useful for cards, whether I have the light on or off, or card tilted or what. With my phone I get some info, but for some strange reason, it only ever reads the first four numbers of the big 16 digit number, but never the rest. This makes me think the mmottled pattern they have on cards affects the other twelve digits more than the first four. But even if it got all 16, it never reads out the dates, or the three digit number on the back. It reads out all kinds of other numbers such as helplines and stuff, but never the security code. It might be the technology, but it could also be that some cards are harder to OCR than others because of patterning.

2018-04-03 19:55:36

Notwithstanding though, most apps nowadays still allow you to scan in your card instead of entering all the details. And Orco's comment about those of us totally blind from birth being unaware of the way cards are visualy is a litle offensive. Just because we have never had visual abilities doesn't mean we're visually ignorant. And OCR or not, memorizing your card information isn't too difficult. If OCR doesn't work, bring it to the back or get your card company to email you the information, I've done as much myself. But we're geting off topic here... and I don't want to add any more fuel to the fire.

2018-04-03 21:47:56

@43
Alexa has learned to rickroll us all... oh god. I'm sad I didn't even think to try that myself though, wonder if the Canadian one did anything fun? Guess I'll have to find out next time.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-04-03 22:41:05

Yeah my last card expired 11/31/17, I got the info using OCR so don't F-ing tell me it can't be done. Now, lighting, the pattern on the cards, all this makes for less than optimal conditions, I am not challenging that assertion. What I am doing is saying that is possible. And that crack about people who've been blind from birth not knowing anything about visual things, that's just asinine. It's the inverse of the same type of attitudes thrown our way from sighted individuals. Given that you've been on both sides of this fence, you really should know better. Smoke a blunt to calm you down, take a couple bong hits, something.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-03 23:09:03

@ Dark

The chip reader does nothing to your card, you can still use it anywhere that accepts them, all it does is read the card's information for you so you don't have to type it in when you are making a purchase. There is nothing at all to stop you from using the same card you used in the chip reader to order pizza or to order something from another web site that doesn't use the chip reader.

Considering that the chip reader uses standard Microsoft Smart Card drivers, I see no reason why it couldn't be made usable for more than just this marketplace, all it would take is somebody to write the software to read the chip, then paste the data into the appropriate fields in the form in your browser, half the software already exists in software like RoboForm.

I'm sorry about the remark that seemed to say that people who had been blind all their life didn't understand visual ideas, that wasn't what I meant or tried to imply. All the credit and debit cards I've ever seen seemed to be intentionally designed to thwart attempts to OCR them. Maybe the companies you do business with don't go to such lengths, I don't know. All I was trying to say is that if all you are going by is the way the card feels, that there is a lot more going on visually than the way the card feels would lead you to believe.

2018-04-03 23:41:50

It isn't so much your comment as the underlying assumption that, as you just stated, suggests that we aren't aware of how credit cards are designed. I am aware of the fact that there is more visually going on than what is simply there by feel, as are many people. Contrary to popular by presumtuous sighted people, we don't just rely on the way thins feel... as for OCRing cards, simply read the repeated statements of everyone in this thread who has done it or has said they have. Unless you're calling those people liars, using OCR to get a card's info obviously works at least some of the time, otherwise smartphone apps wouldn't allow you to use the camera to scan an image of your card to fill it in automatically. As for the card reader, I really don't see any need for it... because it's not hard to just either emorize the information and fill it in yourself. It's a convenience, not an accessibility need...

2018-04-04 00:11:32

As far as proprietary software is concerned, since I will say that is a valid concern, I actually am happy to say that apart from the user interface there is nothing proprietary about it. Usb cardreaders are nothing new, it just so happens that this is the first service that takes advantage of them in a waoty nny d mao. The marketplace uses the Supermarket api which is a pretty open standard for finding product information, particularly in the grocery department. Other stores make it into the app through their native api's. So this is no parlor trick with offline product databases with url's attached, this is just an accessible interface through open api's. Just clearing the air for any potential users.