2018-03-28 19:20:12 (edited by kianoosh 2018-03-28 19:26:41)

Hi there. As some of you might know, we have half released a game to the blind comunity whose name is firefight. It's an fps based on getting scores and impruving your character. Before I explain more about the game's perpous I want to ask you a fiew questions and we'll be so thankful of you if you spend a fiew seconds and help us impruving the game and decreasing the time that we're going to release the game into this forum:
1. Per requests from some of our current playership game controls are changed to something special(but the update is not released yet, Do not be surprised! ). I'm discrybing some of the controls here and please let us know if you like any of them change.
firing your weapon is done with left control, enabling right control as a firing key is available as well.
space jumps.
w, a, s and d are used to walk in coresponding directions.
left arrow key turns by 45 degrees, right arrow does the same. They turn in the coresponding directions as well.
holding shift and holding left and right arrow keys along keeps turning in coresponding directions.
using up and down arrow keys makes you be able to traide your weapon half down, forward and half up.
r reloads your weapon and holding shift along with it unloads your weapon
holding alt with some keys brings certain menus to check some of your stats and tracking nearby corpses, etc
climbing is done with page up and down.
These were some of the keys. Let me know if you want any of them be changed or adding keys to different features you want.
2. We coded the tracking system like the one on redspot and tk because we thought most of the people are familiar with such a system. Let us know if you want it changed as well.
3. We need you guys to tell us what features do you want to be included in the game. While not promicing to add them all in the right version which is going to be released, but if the request make sense with the system we coded and stuff, that feature should be included in the do time.
4. Administration. The admin staff of a game is one of the most important things and should be gotten serious, really serious. So we need you to tell us what kind of people you would like to be promoted and what kind of them you don't want to be administrator. You also can tell us some names if you'd like though.

So here's a bit explanation of the game. This game is an FPS, as said. It's about killing your aponents get some dollars, impruve your character by spending them to by equipments/weapons/etc and finally getting your name go shining on the first positions! There's a huge map like a jungle with an almost big valley at the center of it and things are around the map, of course! Different weapons and good sound effects made the game even more better(as the players said)
some hightech things like MRI brain hackers are getting included to the game by the time and with your helps and opinians it's going to be much much more better from it's current stage!

Thank you for your attention and reading this post. We are trying to do our best to bring just a bit fun and joy to our comunity so why not you be a partner!

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-03-28 21:43:56

I will address these points 1 by 1.
1: The controls look good, at least from a keyboard viewpoint. Now, all I'd love to see is some sort of gamepad implementation, so people don't have to use joy to key to make a profile.
2: Personally, the way I prefer the most is what rtr did. You basically don't have a tracking system, but what you do have is a radar that beeps if you are facing someone. Now, it wouldn't be a perfect crosshare which means you couldn't hit them all the time even if it beeped, if you want to make sure you hit someone you have to have good accuracy. On the other hand, if your map is large, rs's tracker is a better alternative.
3: Right now, I don't really have any speciffic requests, but I will address another point here. You said that your game is going to leave lots of room for character improvement and apparently, permanent development. I don't agree with this, unless it is either very finely tuned and balanced or you create different maps for people with different stats like ultrapower did in one of its countless versions. An fps shouldn't have persistent char development like up or tk, because all that does is encourage grinding and all newbies typically end up giving up out of frustration because someone who has been playing for years utterly destroys them without a thought all the time.
4: All I ask here is that you think carefully about your admin choices. Look up the history of people who apply, consider if they are really the kind of person you are looking for to enforce your game's policies. Speaking of rules, make a coherent set of rules, for both players and admins,  that are easily accessible. Don't do it like in stw and wait half a year before eventually writing up some crude rules. Keep a log of admin and player actions, so you can easily find out if admins are doing their jobs correctly and also follow their own rules.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-03-28 21:48:08 (edited by monkey999 2018-03-28 21:51:59)

Mayby, is it handy to add a tracking sistom for zones in the map like the store.

Awesome, you made it to the end!
Hit h to go to the next post.

2018-03-28 22:19:25

Think very carefully about admins, just because someone is your friend, doesn't make them a good choice for adminship. I can tell you this for certain. I would make them apply just as anyone else would, to keep the process fair, and don't give them any higher consideration than anyone else does, unless you are very very sure they would make a good admin. Keep in mind that people you think you know over the net, you don't really know. Hell, people have been betrayed by their friends in real life and over many years, so just keep this in mind. The reason I bring this up is because the admins can make or break good gameplay experiences for everyone. If they do shady bullshit like giving themselves items, playing favorite and giving their friends shit, its not good, its not fair, and its not right. Admins should be bound to a set of rules just as the players should. I'm not saying admins shouldn't be able to hand out items where appropriate, but for sure they shouldn't be doing it on a willy nilly basis. Hey bud here ya go, 20K health, 20K shielded shot, etc.

I also agree about no persistence. If you're trying to learn the game, its very discouraging when you get off like 10 shots at someone and they don't die meanwhile you are jumping out of the way of their grenades and stuff only to be snuffed out in 2 or three shots by them.

My opinion, true, but I fucking hate the redspot turning system, the tracking isn't half bad, but the stupid little messages about being a fair distance off to the right, or a little ways off to the left, shit drives me nuts. For one thing, the  messages aren't even that accurate, as the range of each message is pretty big, and you moving and them moving, and you're spamming the key while you spam your arrows etc.

One thing, the up and down arrows, I don't know what you mean by traide, that isn't an english word. Trade or train is, trade meaning nothing in this context, train being closest to aim, which is what I'm guessing you meant, but I'm uncertain, which is why I'm asking for clarification.

Oh, and one more follow up to the admin thing, just remember that you're going to get people flocking to your side, they want nothing more than a piece of this power you have. They want to feel the rush of this power, so they'll act really friendly hoping that you'll give them an admin position. They'll flock to you, talk to you on skype whatever, just remember that and make your choices very carefully.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-28 23:39:29

Hi there,
I have nothing more to say about the admin matter, but do not (and I say do not) repeat Sam's bad mistake. Not everyone who helped something in the game or even have an intimate friendship with you or did the impossible to enhance the game is a worthy of becoming an admin. Adminship isn't an award for those who have done a great job, but a responsibility that is given only to who are worthy of the task. Beware, many people want the privileges of the adminship only so that they feel that they have the power of an admin and build themselves power and fame.
And finally, wish you a good luck in your project, you've developed wonderfully, I wish you and your project success.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-03-29 02:41:04

so how would we go about applying for adminship?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-03-29 09:40:43

Hi!
I like the keys, but I personally think that it would be easier to use the left and right arrows to turn slowly and shift plus the left and right arrows to turn by 45 degrees. And I agree that the redspot radar works better than a tracking sistem, and that a tracking sistem for zones would be very usefull. Looking forward to this game!

2018-03-29 09:59:08 (edited by kianoosh 2018-03-29 11:15:35)

Hi there. At ironcross32 exactly i meant training your gun. I'm sorry my spelling is a bit weird big_smile but we've chosen the in-game messages with care and tryed not to have a bad grammer or a weird ununderstandable English.
You're comments were all useful and again at ironcross32 it's something important that i have to tell you and that is about distance/direction messages. We may set them more exact but they should be there because you need to know where the person is and where you should face to as the maps are kind of large and rtr's radar thing doesn't work well in this case.
also tracking zones would be great and will be added for sure. And about the adminship. We have a log set for admins and it tracks every admin command they use and so far we tryed not to only promote our friends. We promoted a fiew people that we had our trusts on and we hope they will do well.
Thanks for your helpful comments and let us know more if there's something out there we missed or you'd like to say.

---

2018-03-29 11:15:37

one suggestion to stop admins from abuzing their powers is to limit them. Guys, stop adding stupid give commands, or /sethealth commands or /teleport or whatever. An admin doesn't need that. All he needs is /kick, /ban, /mute, those kinds of commands to enforce rules. He doesn't have to be able to give himself whatever he wants, move where he wishes to go, or randomly set people's stats.

2018-03-29 11:20:12

exactly conner that is true. But since the game is in its alpha stages we gave them the ability of moving people because we had reports of people are beeing dropped underground sometimes but this ability will be removed as soon as we fix that problem. But there's no giving command, etc

---

2018-03-29 12:28:01

About controls: Why not just give the players of the game the option to rebind the keys. Then everybody would be happy.
And also, Please consider adding the option to turn with mouse. In my opinion every fps should Have that.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-03-29 12:50:32 (edited by Muhammad Hajjar 2018-03-29 12:53:27)

I totally agree with Connor, that what made me stop playing most online games. Admins can teleport, make items, stream things on the server, get info they don't need as the controller of everything and have special items and weapons like admingun and lots of other stuff that are making them hey I'm the lord, you players are all nothing but puppets to control. So, admins should only can kick, ban and the like, with extreme caution to not abuse those mentioned ones too.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-03-29 13:09:10

Its mayby nice to have a zombie mode in the game?

Awesome, you made it to the end!
Hit h to go to the next post.

2018-03-29 13:34:29

Hello kianoosh, suggest shift left and right arrows and left and right arrows to switch places. So you constantly turn with left and right, and with shift left right you turn 45 degrees.

2018-03-29 17:31:18

I'll try to add the custom keybinding feature. And no muhammad, We never will give admins such abilities.
I have read your post as well skylord, I think i'll be doing that as well since two people so far has suggested that. And to the user that said adding a zombie mode, The answer is no. The topic is completely different although we may have npcs. I have to check if that will make lag anyways

---

2018-03-29 17:54:29

I know it sounds contrary to my last post, but I disagree about the admin tools and the ability to give. The tool isn't the bad thing in this equation, its the person who uses it for bad purposes. if you set a hammer down on a workbench, it won't drive a nail by itself, nor will it smack someone in the head, its down to the person using it to use it responsibly. Log everything that an admin does, if they do use a give command, log it, and set up scripts to read that log file and flag things that look off, like x amount of give commands in a day, x amount of items given at once, and forward that to the owner. There may be perfectly legitimate reasons to give items out. Also, consider it from this angle, why not just leave them in and use it as a tool to weed out bad admins, if they are being misused by a particular person or a few people, remove them from adminship. The thing is, if someone's going to misuse their power, they're going to do it no matter what you do or don't do as far as offering commands. If all they can do is ban, if they're the type to misuse it, the second someone pisses them off, and pissing them off might be as simple as disagreeing, even politely over chat, this person will turn around and ban that other player, even if the player did nothing wrong.

Also, consider adding tiers of admins. If you create a hierarchy where everyone on the admin team is not on the same level, you can train people, give them a limited sub set of the admin abilities, and see how they use them. Then, and only then, when they've proven themself capable of using the commands responsibly, and helping by answering questions, and not being a dick head, you can promote them to a higher tier, that has more commands, but also comes with more responsibility, because it is the higher tier's responsibility to oversee the lower tier, and report anything to the owner or higher above even them. You could have 3 tiers, name them whatever, but 1 would be the lowest, two would be like trustee, three would be owner level access, only for the owner or a very very select few that gives access to all the commands. You could even create a situation where some of the commands, rather than simply not working at all, will just submit an approval request to the next highest tier. For instance, maybe you don't feel comfortable giving the lowest tier the ability to ban, but if they see something that's breaking policy badly, shouldn't they be able to act? Well, if your ban command asks for a reason, and then forwards it to the next highest tier, then someone on that tier can look it over, investigate the situation themself, and then either appove or deny the request, if approved, the player would then be banned and booted off the server.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-29 19:53:30

A couple things. Most, but not all, being based off my time both as a tester and developer of redspot and administration, since enforcement is where we ultimately lost many players.

1. Those asking to be administrators, most likely won't make good administrators. By this I mean pick them yourself, there's no ballot or democratic system. Asking for advice is okay, but the majority should never throw names around.
2. Have good communication with admins. We have a skype group, right now general policy is to notify the others if you've done anything that required the admin flag.
3. Be able, and totally okay with, revoking rights and saying sorry, but no. I've seen way too many people give 48th chances to their friends. there's a find line between administration and friendship, it's all about breaching that gap.
4. If something happens in game, you as a developer are forever held accountable. If I were to release a massive bug in redspot that would allow for instantly killing a player for example, Sam would get most if not all the blame. Treat failure as a lesson, since you've never get it 100% on your first try.
5. Find something and excel in that area. You can never achieve perfection in all areas, so don't even try. Give your players a reason to play your game rather than any of the other FPs's out their.
6. Test your admins. Maybe occasionally login, changing all forms of identification, fight one of the admins, and abuse something. Play cheaply. Kill/piss them off. See how they adhere to the set precautions. do they respond in a helpful and professional manor? Furthermore, they won't ever know if it's a legitimate case or test from the developer and would rather not risk it.
7. Professionalism can be key. whenever you reveal your identity, as an administrator, developer, beta tester, whatever, your presenting yourself as a representative of the game. How do you want that to look?
8. Stick by your word. Don't let the players down. If you discuss a massive feature that's coming, it better be massive. Let them feel as they got what they expected, if not more.
9. While large and feature packed updates are okay, don't forget about minor bugfixes. Debugging is often the most dreaded part of development. Spend time on it. Most everyone loves creating, fixing is another matter entirely. Spend a lot of time trying to break the feature. Just because it most likely won't happen, doesn't mean it never will.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now. This probably sounds like common sense to a lot of people, and that's easy until you have the weight of a game's success on your shoulders. Good luck

2018-03-29 20:37:25

Thumbs up carter. I totally agree with all the things you said and of course there were so helpful. We try to do the things you mentioned as much as we can with quality not quantity. You've been always helpful to me. Thank you. And at ironcross32 we already have implemented ranking. That means we have different ranks, each can do their specefyed things and of course the higher their rank is, the more commands they have access to. With the log that i mentioned I don't think if there will be a problem(in case of the hole adminship is good enough).

---

2018-03-29 21:53:01

I hope so, because admins are key to making a game like this work, you have shitty admins, people have bad experiences, they quit playing.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-29 23:38:55

hi there kianoosh,
I have to tell something about your game
1. do not make any kids admin
your choice,  if you make a child admin,  you'de  expect players will leave your game
child admins will use their power abuse,  example they will swore players, and ban without warning
make game rules,  like user agreement,  and tell your admins, they have to not use abuse user agreement
please do not make immature childs to admin in the game
be carefully with making and selecting admins

2018-03-30 04:40:14 (edited by defender 2018-03-30 04:42:27)

A consistent theme would be nice... Right now we have this hodgepodge of equipment especially, with magic healing and armor, both WWI and cold war era firearms, and medieval melee weapons.
Either that or make different maps (essentially isolated worlds) where only certain equipment can be found and used.
Speaking of maps, the default one is getting boring (it has very few ambush spots, areas for cover, or buildings) and falling into the pit by accident and having to come all the way back really, really sucks.
If you can throw together an editor than I'm sure the community could help you make some.
I'm not asking for ultra realism because that pretty much always sucks ass, but even so allot of the weapons have messed up ranges, ammo counts, ammunition types, ETC as compared to their real world counterparts, and some have only generic names anyway.
Also, the ability to get an RTR type auto radar with volume based on distance within say 50 tiles would be nice, so you don't have to frantically jam on the w key.
Personally, I feel like this game needs a rewrite in another language anyway, not only because the rotation package and wall edges are kinda buggy and the aiming is pretty unintuitive, but also because you can use a much cheaper Linux server and optimize the networking for less lag with player loads over like three people.
Sam has managed to do quite a bit in terms of lag reduction on his own games, I really don't know how honestly, but you don't have the benefit of his code or the money for such a powerful VPS.
I heard you were learning C Sharp Kianoosh? if so that's awesome, because even beyond all of this, I don't think your game will ever be taken seriously by anyone other than bored twelve-year-olds with no emotional control or played by more than like 6 people at a time at the most if you don't move away from the generic BGT FPS with Sam's code underpinning it model.

2018-03-30 05:49:48

okey then. I'll give some ideas.
I don't remember who sayd before that you have to do something different, something that makes the peopple keep playing your game more than others that we already have.
First I think you should do something to keep the player interested. maybe a level sistem with new things to win.
2. Armor sistem and looting.
you sayd that the main map is like a jungle? well. give it diversity, different areas, ambiances. maybe a waterfall that you can climb? a river? something that makes it special, not just an emty square with trees and birds sound effects.  and maybe the player can collect things to make theyr own armors, or maybe collect some animal's stuff to make things like poison to the weapons. Also an armor system like the one in swamp can be good, armors and skills that can give the players different playstile.
3. Missions and clans.
you can do something similar to the swamp fort system. maybe the clan who defend it can buy different things to make it more dificult to take. traps, maps, defenses. and well, tipical fps missions, capture the flag, last man standing...
4. weekly / dayly / monthly contest.
Those can be as simple as the player who kill more players, who looted more things, or simply for the clan that controls more, lets say forts? bases? and giving them a money or special item recompense
I know those are a lot of ideas and maybe some of them are hard to code. I'm just giving my opinion. A new different game would be great, something really good. this is an alpha, so you can just take some of this ideas and implement them after some time.
Also I've send you a forum pm. I wish you the best in this progect, I really hope this game can be great.

2018-03-30 10:41:16

hi, I have to disagree with defender here. I don't think games that are coded in bgt are at fault just because they used that language. The choice of programming language is always left up to the user, and we've seen enough landmark titles in bgt to know that if used right, it can be a powerful language even with all the limitations it has. I would agree with you that bgt's audio abilities kinda suck, I mean it doesn't even have hrtf you need to get lav and make a bridge for that to even work, and even then it really sucks. If you try to inovate enough, your game can have a totally different feel even if its based off of something like rs and uses some of its classes like rotation or aiming. I'd say dm pulled that off quite well. Say what you will about the devs, I didn't feel like I was playin up when when playing that game.

2018-03-30 13:20:54

Hi there. Again thank you for your comments. I kind of disagree with you defender about the bgt's power and stuff. Yes it sucks at some points but after all as the conner said too, it is capable of throwing out different feelings. I'll be editing the map today and post 22's suggestions really amazed me and i'll try to not all of them, at least most of them be added in the next versions. Although a simple corpse looting is out there, You find a corpse and get their items but i think that should be a bit more advance but i've still no idea what to make it look like. So i think i'll be changing the team system as well, where only somewhere is sutable for players. Like probably teamfights and in return, i'll be adding clans, trophies (which is the most easiest part), and then, I'm not sure but probably a leveling system. Although i need to no your opinians about having a leveling system or not.

---

2018-03-31 20:41:47

Can someone please tell me if there is a link to Firefight here somewhere?