2017-10-10 12:19:46 (edited by a12850bc 2018-03-22 00:53:37)

Today, I am introducing a new blog. It is called Blindness Awareness and More. As a blind teenager, I created this blog to raise awareness to the sighted community. Some people in the sighted community understand about blindness. What I am trying to do is to spread the message about blindness. For example, people will ask, "How do you even text if you can't see?" Well, I will not repeat myself. Instead, I will send them a link to a blog post on my blog. We, the blind community, should all be advocates. If you want to send me feedback about my blog, you can email me at [email protected]. You can also send me any accessibility suggestions too.
Here is a link to my blog.
https://blindnessawarenessandmoreblog.wordpress.com

I also created a Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/baamoreblog
You can also follow me on Twitter at
https://www.twitter.com/baamoreblog

Armando

2017-10-10 20:09:27

HMM, sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2017-10-15 16:28:04 (edited by Chris 2017-10-15 16:28:35)

Hi,

This looks good so far. I agree with the last poster. The link "Click here" doesn't give any meaningful information if someone is moving link by link. It only makes sense if you read it in the context of the sentence it is placed in.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-10-15 17:16:15

good, i'll check it out

2017-10-15 20:18:10 (edited by a12850bc 2017-10-17 00:30:57)

The click here link is fixed. Thanks for your feedback.

Armando

2018-03-22 00:56:04

I updated this topic. The links should work now.

Armando

2018-03-22 03:17:10

Since this topic was brought up again, what's the big deal about click here links? If it's a security issue, just hit your applications key, copy the link's location, open a text editor, and inspect it. Sure, that might be a few extra steps, but you can never be too cautious nowadays. Maybe if people would do this more often, rather than blindly following a breadcrumb trail wherever it takes them, we'd have fewer malware and ransomware infections.

I'm sorry, for some reason the fact that click here, which I've seen on pretty much every website under the sun to some degree or another since about 1999 when I began using computers, was flagged as an accessibility issue, struck me as hilarious. In 1999, I was 10, and I did follow pretty much any link, including all kinds of shady ads, which I immediately regretted, not least because my parents would blame me for the stuff that would inevitably pop up on the screen after such adventures. Especially on a blog, isn't the point to read the content? Who just scrolls through links on a blog, unless they're looking for something specific, which they would have known about on a previous visit? I seriously do not understand this logic at all. I might not have come down so hard on it had it not been flagged specifically as an accessibility issue. From a usability standpoint, it's what I would classify as a minor annoyance, but really? An accessibility issue would be something like an auto refreshing page, unlabelled graphics, links that are unable to be activated by a screen reader, etc. But definitely not something as mundane as a phrase that has been used all over the internet since its inception.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-03-22 08:25:57

right. I would have to agree with post 8. What I do is to press the apps key or shift f10 on the link I am not sure about, and then copy its location and read the clipboard content with NVDA. It comes in really handy . And if you are too lazy to be cautious in that manner, then by all means install uBlock Origin and activate all of its filters. At least it will save you from a lot of trouble and its constantly updated. If the link is a shortened link you can always use things like www.unshorten.it to know where they go
you are so so so very much welcome

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-03-22 14:09:06

I agree with Turtlepower on this one. To me to be honest "click here" isn't a major deal simply because it's usually fairly easy to hit the "read line" key in whatever screen reader your using and find out what here" actually is.

I do try! when writing news posts or the db to write "click here to go to such and such" in the main body of the link,, but I will confess I sometimes forget simply because of the clunky nature of language, since sometimes you don't want to write a sentence like "click here to go to audiogames.net"
And would prefer to use a sentence like "audiogames.net is a really awesome website, you can find it right here"

And after all, this is a blog and you want people to mmmmm, read it?

The only time I have found "click here" a miner pest is when I'm reading a very long article with several "click here" links in it, and then when I go back to find a specific one, but even then I just use the find function in my screen reader to find whatever the sentence the "click here" occurred in and tab from there.

Still its your blog and feel free to format as you want.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-24 07:50:05

Here is my latest blog announcement.
https://blindnessawarenessandmoreblog.w … hone-call/

Armando

2018-04-19 07:59:32

I updated the logo. It should be accessible now, thanks to WordPress Support for helping me.

Armando