2018-03-22 00:24:02

Hi guys,
well, I am getting tired too, but from other things.
@Ethin: it looks like you're very allergic to bgt. Whenever this word is wrote in forum, you criticise it without taking in the connection in which it was used.
I just said, that it would be worst to rewrite its code to c++ and use it there, not to use bgt itself.
About the bullet engine and box 2d. I agree that they are great engines, which you can't write at your own, if you haven't school for it. Btw, did you ever tried to implement those libraries?
But... Does english have the phrase, that use of something is like using a cannon to kill a sparrow? I really don't know, in Slovak it exists, and is exactly for this situation in my view.
Okay, realistic phisics may be good for sighted players, because they actually see the movement of characters, items etc. but tell me one reason how it can be useful for blind player?
Also, can you tell me just one audiogame, which uses these super physics engines? Redspot? Stw? Or when you hate bgt, may be Swamp? Or RTR? Topspeed?
Aprone wrote few tutorials about the map movement some time ago, also the tutorial for sound rendering, so I doubt he used Bullet or Box_2d. In spite of it, Swamp is the greatest game I ever plaied and I am absolutely not interested in if it uses superrealistic physical engine or not.
Game world is still a game world, it doesn't matter how much realistic you want to do it, other things are important in my opinion.
So, for Jonikster, my recommendation is, don't waste time by struggling with implementation of such a libraries. Instead, invest your attention in to things like the ballance of weapons strengths (RTR showed greatly, how important it is), fair play between old and new players on the server and enjoyable maps creation.
These are things, which will actually make your game more popular and playable, not the fact, that you falled from the wall 100 milliseconds less than in other games, because you used a super physics engine.

@Jonikster:
I wrote above, what I think about using libraries, it is now upto you to choose, what you will use. If you select a library, it is okay, your decision, in that case however I am not able to help you.
If you on the other side choose to make a normal game physics, like in other successful games, and you are interested in the formulas and algorithms, feel free to write me at:
[email protected]
And we can discuss closer whatever you want. I have experiences from the Blindcraft project and few others, non-published, so I can give you tips how to manage certain problems effectively, if you want.
@pauliyobo: great formulation, you can use whatever you want for development, more than a speed of language will influence you how you feel in the language and how good you can use it.
I think people here are overdramatising speed sometimes at all, draving scene to the screen is more harder task than game processing, and cpus are managing it. If you don't write very very stupid things in the code, then things like a shooter game will be nothing for cpu.
Another thing is also, that if you choose to develop in Python, and still scare about speed, there are many friendly implementations of high optimised game engines in c++, so they will make all independently from Python speed, and you will only must to code controlling mechanism with a performance hit in milliseconds.

So, my summary, choose one programming language, which you feel best in, and then search the best way, how to do what you want in it.

Best regards

Rastislav

2018-03-22 00:54:45

@Rastislav Kiss, and again you show just how un-understanding you are. Physics -- really realistic physics -- is probably the most important part of a game -- any game! I'd be happy to rattle off to you how many games have suffered miserably because their physics engines were terribly or hardly there at all. This and this are two sites that aptly demonstrate how important physics is. You don't think realistic physics are used in good audio games like AHC or BK? Think again -- realistic physics are there in one way or another. If you think physics aren't used in audio games just because they supposedly aren't helpful to us blind players, then your an idiot.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-22 05:38:32

Ethin, depending on what kind of physics you are talking about. I think that in some moments it is necessary to use physics, some do not.

2018-03-22 05:47:34

Rastislav Kiss, thank you for your contacts, I'll write to you.
About choosing a programming language, you say that we should choose the language with which it is more convenient for us. For example, for me now it is not relevant. I studied many programming languages. Now C# is convenient for me, but I can not use it for Android. Now I started studying Java, I like it, but now I can not say more precisely, because I do not know Java at the level that I know C#.
I have chosen the language for several years. I understand how stupid it is and I will not be offended if you call me an idiot. But I'm really confused. I was told that if I'm afraid for performance, I'd use C++. I like C++, but it takes several years to study C++, and it's hard to find a job in C++. I like C#, but I can not develop for Android. If I want to write a game for Android, or a cross-platform game? Java on the one hand is a good choice, on the other hand I was told that Java is bad for games, which is more for developing enterprise applications.
I'm like Ethin. I do not blame BGT, but I'm against Python. If you prove to me that Python will be enough for good 3D shooters, for example as RTR, I'll shut up.

2018-03-22 07:23:41

@post 29
I don't know if you know the game death match by danny, but that was a 3d space FPS audiogame online.
This is the only audiogame 3d with python that I know off.
You can search for other python games created though

Paul

2018-03-22 08:27:32

@jonikster, do you have the nasty habbit of skipping posts? I said like 8-10 posts back that C# can make apps for android and iOS.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-22 10:47:32

pauliyobo, I laughed at your post, excuse me.
Have you played this game? I played all the versions. When it was on PureBasic, it worked well. But when it was in Python ... I can describe this in one word. Horror. There were a lot of mistakes, I'm not talking about performance.

2018-03-22 10:50:46

Ethin, are you talking about Mono? Did you use it? I'm familiar with the Java programmer who programs for Android. He tried using Mono. It is a pity that you did not hear how he swore. You can develop applications, but not efficiently. C# does not have a good opportunity for this, as has Java.

2018-03-22 16:57:47 (edited by kianoosh 2018-03-22 17:00:05)

OK hay there! Speaking about rotational stuff and sound renderring with rotation in other programming languages, Could someone tell me how do i do such a thing in C#? You know i was thinking about coding the sound pool written in bgt into C# but the thing is C#'s max pan which would be to the most right is 1.0 while in bgt is 100.0 i think. Maybe your thinking how stupid this guy is! but any formulas that i can use in this sichuation would be really a pritiated. I just need this, I can do other parts myself. Or even if you know a library in C# which supports rotational sound panning i'd be happy if you provide some of their names. I know it's not the right topic but since people are talking about these stuff in here i decided to try my chance except of posting another topic.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-03-22 17:02:15

post 32, I was talking about performance.

Paul

2018-03-22 17:56:28

@kianoosh
Do your stuff, then pan*100

Here's another function which will undoubtedly save you hours

double range_convert(double old_value, double old_min, double old_max, double new_min, double new_max)
{
return ((old_value - old_min) / (old_max - old_min) ) * (new_max - new_min) + new_min;
}

2018-03-23 13:19:59

oh thanks carter for that

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988