2018-03-16 16:23:59 (edited by Hieronims 2018-03-16 16:38:54)

Hello,
As I said in my presentation, I am an independent video game developer.

I present here my game made for a game jam that had as theme the creation of a shoot 'em up horizontal scrolling.

Of 47 games on offer, Story space shooter finished 10th, knowing that other games had graphics, it's pretty good.

Here are my goals for this game:

- Tell a story so that people can imagine it, rather than represent it graphically. I thought nothing was as beautiful as the imagination. I also did a lot of work on the text to make it richer thanks to the use of a more elaborate language.
- Add and think about interactive elements to simulate a shooting game. I made many tries throughout the development to find the best solutions

Finally, I thought that the game could be playable by the blind, so I translated the texts into audio with Google translation. Then I reworked some passage with audacity

The game is playable online or downloadable, the download version being of better quality.

If not concerning technical choices, I chose to indicate by a sound signal the moments where the player can interact, because I found it painful all the time to read the instructions. I have already activated an audio player, and I find it unbearable to read everything, while someone visual could select only the parts he wants to read.

But here is the link to the game: https://hieronims.itch.io/story-space-shooter

Use the space key to change screens, and the arrow keys to steer your ship.

Good game

Jérôme PERRET

2018-03-16 17:01:39

this sounds like franch,i don't understand how to start and what is a goal.

2018-03-16 17:30:54

Hi Hieronims.

I downloaded and ran the game and it sounds interesting (I don't think we've had an audio horizontal shooter before), however, since all of the game text is in French I'm afraid I have no idea what is going on.

I think I managed to shoot something, but after a while I just got stuck, and manifestly if the story is a major part of the game  those who don't speak French will be missing out.

Perhaps some of our French speaking members could help with  translation into English, as well as other languages so that the game could be enjoyed around the world.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-16 19:03:53

this is a very short game.
I will tell you about the controls:
space: advances the screen (moves the tutorial and other messages forward)
left and right: block attacks (if you hear a laser sound you have to press the corresponding arrow to deflect it)
up and down: centers the enemy (you hear a sound and once it is higher you know that you've centered the ship, space bar will let you shoot)

2018-03-16 20:17:49

hi
i have question but not about the game
i m press your link and find
vidio in youtube
sow
what is song name?
thanks

2018-03-16 20:19:17

This game sounds interesting but since I only speak English, I'll wait for the translation.

2018-03-16 20:44:14

Hello.

@Hieronims. Welcome to the forum.

I managed to complete the game.

I speak little French but even without the instructions in a post in this thread, I'm sure i  would have figured it out.

Well done on creating a great little game.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-03-19 14:12:55

Hello,

sorry for the late response, but I got sick.

Toto: For the music of the video, it's Nicolai Heidlas - Queen of the skies, it's free music.

Yes the game is quite short and the story is important, in fact I did not have time to develop more the gameplay. It's not always easy to think like "hearing"

Philosophy: If you do not mind, I'll call you "Hearing" because why do you define what you do not have, rather than because you have.

For translation into English, google translation would be possible, I must see if there is a plugin for love2d, the language I use.

The most complicated being that I made a big search for vocabulary, so it would be necessary to translate keeping this wealth.

See you soon

Jérôme PERRET

2018-03-19 14:51:44

Hi Jérôme.

We've had some very notable French developers in this community and games with very high quality translations, so if you post in the developer's room, or if you contact some of our French devs directly, it's likely someone will be able to help with the story. I'm thinking here specifically of people like Pragma who created the amazing audio arcade title Crazy party ( has lots of text and has since been translated into about six different language), Quentin C who developed the Qunetin C playroom, a multilinual audio gaming hub, or JEanluc pontico, creator of Sound RTS, the first ever audio real time stratogy battle game which again has been translated into languages which range from English, to Croatian to chinese.

You could post in the developer's room of this site and ask for assistance, or try contacting one of the above mentioned developers more directly (you can find information about their games including links to their  in the dropdown on the front of this site.

if we can't find a native French speaker to aide directly with the translation, you could also try translating the game with Google translator, and then myself and other English speaking members could offer some suggestions as to improvements.

Either way this shouldn't be an insummountable obstacle, and as someone who loves atmospheric games with a good story I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this goes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)