2018-03-11 03:05:28

Hey everyone.
Because I feel it's the time for a full resett and clean up duty on my pc hard drives, I wanted to restore the computer to factory settings and start out fresh with a new installation of windows 10.
Only, I am running into a problem there.
First everything goes fine, I select that I want to delete everything, select the drives to clean and hit the reset button, computer reboots after about two minutes and than I get the error message.
Reset this computer, there was a problem resetting this computer, no changes have been made.
I could just read that message with Seeing AI.
I am a bit confused on what I should do, googling told me that I should type some commands into the comammd promt that I get when I reboot and click on advance boot options, but well, I can't really get there without a screen reader.
So, my question to you is, does someone know a method to remove all data from both drives and cleanly install windows? Sure, the programs which are bundeled with this laptop will be there, but these can be removed.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-03-11 04:48:02

I don't know why you're getting the error, but its time to load a windows 10 image onto a flash drive and go from there, its requirements are 8GB of space. You can get the media creation tool that will help. You might need sighted assistance or seeing AI to get you into the bios or boot menu, and select the drive, but once that is done, it will come up, and give it some time and you should be able to bring up narrator with control windows enter. I've heard from people that it doesn't work, but it has for me. Once you get that up, the installation is completely accessible. If you are paranoid or don't trust the windows clean stuff, you can pull up a command prompt with shift F10 and use diskpart to wipe your partition tables. Just be damn sure you do it on the drive you mean to do it on. You can usually tell by listing its size, but if you have externals, I'd pull them out of the USB during this time. If you have more than one internal, just be careful.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-11 06:06:36 (edited by Chris 2018-03-11 06:15:32)

Hello,

I'd recommend creating a bootable USB flash drive with the Windows installer on it. Here's how you do that.

1. Download the Microsoft Install Disk Creator from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
2. Insert a blank USB flash drive that is at least 5 GB in capacity.
3. Open the downloaded executable file.
4. Go through the initial screens. You will have to select your edition and language of Windows as well as the 32 or 64 bit version. I believe there is an option that you can select that says something to the effect of "use my system default" but I'm not positive. Just make sure the version of Windows you're downloading matches the version you have on your computer.
5. The tool will download and copy the Windows installation files to your USB drive. Once it's done, close the program.
6. Check your Windows activation status in settings>update&security>activation. If it says Windows is activated with a digital license, you shouldn't need to save your product key. Windows will activate automatically once you connect to the Internet after the clean install.
7. If you want to be safe, download Magical Jellybean Keyfinder from https://www.magicaljellybean.com/downlo … taller.exe and install it. When you open the program, go to file>export and save the text file to an external drive. Alternatively, you can copy your product key from the edit box in the program. Your key should appear on a line that says CD key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx where "x" represents the unique numbers and letters of your Windows product key.
8. Copy any data you do not want to lose. I'd mainly worry about documents, pictures, music, etc. Don't worry about backing up your programs because you can download them off the Internet when you're done.
9. Check your computer manufacturer's website for the drivers for your particular model. You may not need these, but it's a good idea to check and save the drivers to an external drive.
If this isn't obvious already, you'll want to save your product key and drivers to a second drive, not your Windows installation drive.
10. Once you have backed up all your data, navigate to settings>update&security>recovery and choose the restart now button. This will launch the Windows Advanced Startup Options Menu. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't added Narrator support to this menu yet. I have submitted a request for this and hope it will be done at some point before the end of this year.
11. You will need someone to read the screen to you. You want to choose the option that says USB device or something like that. This will cause your computer to boot from the drive.
12. If you did everything right, you should be able to press Control+Windows+Enter after 2 or 3 minutes to start Narrator. If you don't hear speech, try pressing Alt+Tab to see if you can focus a window. It's also possible that your sound device isn't supported. You will need to use a USB headset or other USB sound device for audio.
13. Once you've got Narrator up and running, proceed with the Windows install. When you get to the screen that asks you about the install type, choose the custom option. If you want to erase your drive, select it in the list of drives and choose the format button.
14. Once Windows is installed and your computer has rebooted a couple of times, wait until you hear Cortana start speaking. You can now press Control+Windows+Enter and go through the Windows Out of Box Experience.
15. Once you're at the desktop, verify that everything is working properly. If you find that your internal sound card or network card isn't recognized automatically, you will need to manually install the drivers.
16. Check your activation status under the activation section of update&security settings. If Windows automatically activates, you're good to go. If not, enter the product key you hopefully saved prior to the clean install. Windows should activate with no issues.

I hope this helps. You will find that a clean install of the operating system can make a big difference in terms of speed and reliability. You can now install and configure your software.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-03-11 08:55:06

Hi, does Windows ask you to insert an appropriate installation media to reset the machine? I reset my old computer with Windows 8.1 yesterday. The only way I could do it was through a Windows 8.1 disk image, though I am not sure resetting works the same way in 8.1 as compared to 10.

2018-03-11 12:06:03

hi, yup, 8.1 needs a USB installation media to reset. that shouldn't be necessary in win10, though. I even had product key issues on my 8.1, when trying to run setup.exe, rather than resetting it through settings, something that, again, I never had an issue on 10 with. with that said, I still, and never will love win10.

2018-03-11 12:40:45

The latest version of Windows 10 I have is 1709.
Oddly enough, I have come to like it, since it seems to have changed quite a lot from the last time I tried Windows 10.

2018-03-11 13:44:35

Hey everyone, thanks for all the hints!
i luckily have a USB stick which has enough memory to store an instalation.
Would I firstly nee to convert it into a bootable USB stick or will the media creation tool do that for me?
Greetings Moritz.

2018-03-11 16:57:22

hi, tool will do it.

2018-03-12 21:52:46

Hey everyone.
So, I actually followed the steps that chriss has described in post three, but I am running into a slight problem there.
I did everything as said, and everything worked so far.
Problems start when I want to reformat the harddrives.
I reboot for the advanced start options, click on USB device, choose removable drive, which is the name of the thing.
Computer restarts, I start narrator, I am prompted to choose language, time and keyboard, strangely, I can actually just choose german as the installation language.
When I click continue, I get a dialogue if I want to instal windows, I click continue, I accept the license agreement, and than I get a dialogue where I can choose normal or custom installation, when I click on custom, I just see the HDD drive in the list, not the drive where I had installed windows before, I did format that one, but I don't know what I should do after that because when I click on continue, it just stated that it can't set up a new partition.
Does someone have an idea what the problem there is?
Greetings Moritz.

2018-03-13 09:49:57

Hey.
I still have that problem that the main drive isn't showing, my 1 TB HDD is there, but not my SSD where windows was before and where I want to put it again.
I tried resetting windows from the setup screen, but this also didn't do a thing.
What I than did is try upgrading windows via the media creation tool, that worked, but strangely, in the language dialogue, the narrator cursor slipped and the language somehow went to japanese, something I personally was not intending.
With some help from Be my eyes, I went through the setup process and set the system display language to english, which works, but some things are still in japanese, and I don't know why because I downloaded all the language packs for the language I have selected.
I am now trying to do the MCT upgrade again, but well, I need to find someone first who can tell me where the option is to remove all files and settings in the MCT, I know that you have to click a button next to the install and back button and choose the right option, but darn, I have a feeling where that one is, but I am a bit afraight of doing it before I make matters worse.
Greetings Moritz.

2018-03-13 15:32:47

right, try this. get an english ISO, do an in place upgrade, then you can format the thing, when all of it is in english. an in place upgrade, is essentially clicking on setup.exe from file explorer. otherwise, I'm confused of what you're trying to achieve, so I hope I'm actually giving you the right suggestion.

2018-03-15 05:07:08

That is strange.. Have you tried disconnecting all external devices except your USB install drive and a USB sound device if you need one?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.