2018-03-11 17:03:50 (edited by braille0109 2018-03-11 17:06:49)

hi all.
the topic title pretty much summerises. I tried booting up a MAC os, straight from an ISO, VMware Workstation 12 Player  dialog  OS is not supported with binary translation. To run OS you need a host on which VMware Player supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V.;
tried booting up XP, from grossgang.com, since that thing has a preconfigured screen reader, and I'm not sure if I can install XP alone, rather, whether it would even boot. and I do use XP, as it's light weight, and it's really good for backwards compatibility. anyways, VMware Workstation 12 Player  dialog  This virtual machine requires AVX2 but AVX is not present. This virtual machine cannot be powered on.
apparently it's a VMWARE issue. after a bit of search, I found this.
https://community.acer.com/en/discussio … -553g-1615
they have exactly the same issue/error, and processor.
also, I did check, and Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware; No.  I'm not sure if this matters, though. apparently virtualisation should already be enabled  on the AMD side of things, and all this achieved was to get me clueless. any AMD VM users here that could give me a hand, please? I don't exactly have sighted to get in the BIOS to check things, otherwise that's where I would have started. this is a Lanovo, BTW.

2018-03-11 17:10:08

When I had that, it was because virtualization was off in the BIOS.  Dude, trust me, I've done it three times on three different machines. Running a mac in VM is useless. It's laggy as fuck and slow. If you have an SSD, its better, but its still slow.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-11 17:34:21

If you have a system with 8gb of ram at a bare minimum, you could get by with a vm with 4gb of ram allocated to it. Ideally, 16gb of ram would be nice. And yes, you absolutely need to engage with your bios at this point.

2018-03-11 19:22:05

I don't have an SSD in this thing. when buying a few months back, I went for storage instead of speed. so I can't do anything through the Lanovo firmware settings? if not, I guess it's time for sighted, or just struggle along with my 3rd gen i3, with 4 gigs of RAM. as for post 3, I do have 8 gigs of RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue. so that thing in the run dialog I pasted, about virtualisation, should that be set to yes?

2018-03-11 22:12:59

you need to go into the bios and switch it on in there.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united