2018-03-07 22:51:32

Hi,
Before I get started I wanted to start by saying that I in no way intend for this request to come off as inappropriate. I fully understand if this is not something you guy's want to talk about, but if at all possible I would be greatly appreciative of your time in answering three questions.
1. What was your choice of ECMA Script engine?
2. Are the scripts compiled into byte code before being encrypted, or are they just encrypted minified source or something?
3. Are the save files just JSON.stringify()'d JS objects which are then encrypted and stored as is?
To be clear, I'm in no way interested in decryption information, sound files, source code or anything else that would compromise your work. I'm just cureous about the script engine because I want to develop a similar game engine myself, but found that a lot of the ECMA script engines out there either don't compile to byte code or have a fair amount of license restrictions. If you'd be willing to answer any of this, I would much appreciate it, but once again I do understand if this makes you uncomfortable.
Thanks.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2018-03-07 22:55:09

I think that you should write to ian reed.
Ge is the creator and programmer of a heroes call and game engine

2018-03-09 00:13:18

1. We used the Google V8 javascript engine.
2. No, they are not compiled into byte code.
3. No, the save files use the .NET binary serializer.

HTH

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2018-03-09 03:30:28

Thank you very much.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2018-03-09 03:53:03

Um... is it wise for this information to be available, considering AHC is a closed-source game?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-09 06:20:02

Hi,
Excuse me for this, but a heroes call is a desktop game, why is it using java script? I mean, I heard somewhere that the game engine was coded in c#? And what is egma script engine you were talking about?
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2018-03-09 18:07:04

Hi,
@Ethin, I don't see why this shouldn't be available. That it's using v8 is very obvious, and I don't see how the fact that the js isn't compiled into bytecode and the saves are using binary formatter or whatever could really be used in a harmfull way. Granted that could be used to crack the save system, but what's the real point of protecting that? ?

2018-03-10 02:58:57

@Lucas1853, I know. Its just unusual to see a closed-source games internals being disclosed on this particular forum. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github