2018-03-07 20:21:57

Hello...
So, I recently had a birthday, and my Mom decided to buy me a VR Stream. She thought she was getting a good deal since it was up on EBay for $100, but it turns out the stream had a couple problems. One, it's the original model. Two, the battery is out of cycles and can't hold a charge. If someone could sell me a battery, I'd be willing to pay whatever you had in mind. I don't mean to come across to people begging, but I'd like to avoid getting a new stream altogether because we already spent $100 on it. It also came with the Victor Reader Classic which can't hold a charge either, and a portable CD player which doesn't work at all. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-03-08 22:54:12

Quick update on the battery thing. I was actually able to charge the VR Classic, and it acts as if it's never been used before so that's taken care of. Unfortunately, the stream still won't charge, and I haven't done further testing on the stream's CD accessory at the moment so as far as I'm aware it's still dead. I left the stream plugged in all night and it still won't charge, so I definitely think I'll need to get a new battery. Humanware doesn't have anymore in stock, so if anyone can sell me 1 I'd be happy. This is a really good device even now and I don't plan on ditching it, but I also don't want to use it as a desktop player when it's clearly intended to be portable. I checked the diagnostics screen and it seems there is no way to reset the battery cycles either..

TWITCH

2018-03-08 23:03:59

Just curious, how this thing looks?
And what is the classik thing you said?

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-03-08 23:08:04

The victor reader classic looks like a version of the victor reader stream that you'd put on a desk, and it's a cd player. It can play books on cds, and regular music disks as well. The victor reader stream would be hard to describe in text, so just look on YouTube or http://humanware.com for more info.

TWITCH

2018-03-08 23:52:18

No, once a battery is dead like that, you can't get it back. I'd have just gotten the newer one rather than an old one second hand so you wouldn't have issues such as these. Most times I've taken advantage of either getting refurbished items, or buying used ones, its come back to bite me.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-08 23:57:18

I wanted to get the new 1, but when I saw I'd get 3 items in 1 package for less I jumped at the opportunity. We have just enough money to get by and that seemed like a better deal.

TWITCH

2018-03-09 03:15:22

Well unless the new stream doesn't have an audio out, there's really no reason why not to have gotten one seeing as how it would have eliminated the need for a desktop version. You then avoid issues like this which means now you have a device that has no working battery, now you have to try to procure a battery for it, or its pretty much useless. The features in the new one are far more worth it than the old one and a desktop version. I've never used the new one, but I've seen plenty of demos, and they can join WiFi network, download podcasts and play radio, as well as connect to NFB newsline and so forth.

Being frugal is fine, trying to get more for less, but there's generally a point at which its just too good to be true. I'll give some examples of what I wouldn't do, but I've seen other people do. Dollar store dish soap, now, unless you literally don't have the money to get the more expensive stuff like Dawn, you should get it, because when you use dollar store or cheap dish soap, well let me back up. SO, at first, you think its a heck of a good deal since you look at the size of the bottle, and its fucking huge, and then you see the $4 shit, and its smaller, so you're like, hell yeah! SO you get it home, and here's my experience with it. You have to use 4 times as much of that stuff as you have to use the expensive stuff. If you put a few drops of Dawn in your sink or dish pan as you add the water, you're good, but with the cheap stuff, you're literally having to like turn it over and actively squeeze a lot of it into the sink. Now, consider that 4 to 1 ratio, and its not only that, the Dawn will cut grease like nothing else, the cheap shit you're scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing. SO again, unless you literally can't get the better stuff, the dollar store stuff isn't worth it, even though some of it smells good, like lemon etc.
Another thing is toilet paper. IF you buy the cheap stuff that feels like the stuff you use at public restrooms, you're really not saving any money. If I use that stuff, I have to take about 4 sheets fold them over, and fold them over again or my finger just goes like right through, its nasty. I use good shit and I use one sheet at a time and maybe fold it once, but I usually don't have to. and I use maybe 4 sheets in total, whereas with the cheap stuff, 4 sheets is like 1 sheet and then I have to use like 5 or so sheets.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-09 10:29:14

The other advantage in terms of the victor stream is that they come with a two year warrentee. I'm actually on my second at the moment since my first unfortunately died literally two weeks out of warranty, or at least it was at the point where it would no longer take charge from a plug, so I couldn't plug it in or charge the battery. Had it been the other way around, ie, the battery gone I'd probably have used it as a desktop player, but as it was I needed to replace it.

I replaced it with a new one and haven't regretted it, it's something I literally use for hours each day, and now I have two batteries, though unfortunately they're both for the new gen victor stream so I don't think they'd be of use to you (plus having a spare battery is handy).

I actually also have a victor classic generation two which the RNIB once sent me as a try out for talking books back in about 2003 or so which still works fine, although these days if I want to play cds I'll use my sterrio while if I want to do anything talking book related or portable digital music I'll use my victor stream.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-09 21:40:38

When I bought the package, I actually thought it was the 2nd gen VR Stream. Now I spent a hundred bucks on something that's pretty much useless to me, but I don't want to just get rid of it and buy a new 1 since it costed a lot. Mind you, not a lot, but enough that I want to try to get some good out of it because it's here now. I doubt I could get my money refunded for it because of course the box has been opened already, so I guess I'm stuck with it. It's a shame too, I heard really good things about the new stream.

TWITCH