2018-02-09 16:34:31

Yep you got it, more things to select, I'm trying to think of more.

Maybe pranks (both harmful and harmless) colorful and odd clothing choices, contests (both serious and not, like testing your strength with axe tossing, jousting, running with sacks of flower/rocks, and such, or playing games with cards and chips, game boards, balls hoops and sticks, discs, ETC) various decoration (such as flowers or balloons in the streets and on buildings) music (which could attract more and or better bards and maybe increase your standing with the guild) vicious bloodsport (like they used to do with animals and undesirables) E.G. goose pulling, fox tossing, and that bear VS dogs one, 4 blind guys with clubs VS a pig (which was a real thing!) some kind of goblin related one if slavery is aloud ETC, something like the purge (though maybe only for alchemists, magic users, artists, mathematicians, philosophers and the like) stuff about nature (constellations, the sun and moon, animal migrations, the seasons, life cycles of important/sacred  plants, the tides and so on.)

2018-02-11 02:39:33

Cool and very creative ideas man, i like them.

2018-02-13 08:43:36

Nice post on redit I saw were has been played around with the Monster Generator. That brings up a question: Does the Generator write the stories of the Monsters itself in the game or were they thought out by the poster. It is nice to have such Background stories.

2018-02-13 16:19:29

If we're talking throne room events, one thing I'd find cool are some cases with not necessarily a right or wrong answer but with different consequences.

For example, The servant of a merchant who is convicted of stealing, but the servant claims the merchant hasn't been paying them.

If you side with the servant, your reputation and peasant levies increase, while if you side with the merchant, your given more gold by the merchant's guild as a thank you, where as if you send them both to the arena to fight out their differences, your reputation increases and you get some more cash for the fight (people love a spectacle).

Another case might be a daughter forced into an arranged marriage with an old rich noble by her parents who comes to you for help.

If you command her to marry the old noble, you gain one extra knight since the noble joins your cause as a just ruler, however you lose a bit of reputation among the peasants who think it's an unromantic outcome.

If you  say she can marry whoever she wants, the parents refuse her a dowery and she marries a poor farmer, which means your reputation increases, and you gain one extra peasant in your army, but you lose some gold since you have to then pay her dowery yourself.

Or you have two land owners arguing about the ownership of a  peace of land on their estate, one an old noble family who has owned the land for generations and claims it as their birthright, the other a new merchant family who have just purchiced the land.
If you side with the merchants, you are given more gold, if you side with the nobles, a knight joins your cause, while if you throw them both in your dungeon and take the land yourself your reputation goes down but your harvest  increase.

decisions like these with unforseen consequences would be very cooll and give the idea that your actually a ruler of a dynamic kingdom with a lot more going on outside the battelfield, even if essentialy the game can't show it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-13 17:21:53

Nice ideas Dark.
I also think it would be horrimusing if their were a small chance that neither woman would say anything when you got the baby encounter and you actually did it, which obviously would make your popularity go down by like 10 LOL.
Especially great if the courtiers react by throwing up or screaming or something.

2018-02-16 08:36:05

I like the ideas regarding the throne room. That would be cool, however, depending on how you Play, there are no right or wrong decisions already but the ideas are cool.

2018-02-16 09:29:09

In regards to quests and expeditions: When you can observe them like the Arena fights for example, it could be a cool think if the Group or Units performing it could find items and such. It could be stored, so Units could be equiped with things wich can give Advantages or such or the unit chooses to take an item in a quest themself. Yes, that's a bit RPG like, but I think it fits without making the game to much RPGisch, In a lot of strategy games are RPG elements and that could fit here.

2018-02-16 22:12:03

Can someone tell me how to actually configure this game for screenreaders? I see a bunch of useless asky representations.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-02-16 22:22:35

Go into the options, and turn ascii off, makes it a lot easier.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-02-20 19:57:15

@John, definitely something I'll be looking into

@Defender, Love it, I'll save that list of ideas!

@Niklas, it writes a little description of the monsters but the ones you read were written by a very talented reddit user who will likely be writing some ingame books and things in the future!

@Dark, there actually are some morally grey choices, such as the marriage one, and the classic two mothers one baby case, but some of the ones you've mentioned are wonderful, another piece to add to my to-do list!

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2018-02-20 20:13:51

Hi guys, sorry for this one taking so long again, had some job issues at the moment so the last few weeks and the coming few months are going to be hectic for me, still this update isn't a small one, it includes a massive overhaul of the brawl pit and many issues fixed such as one you may not have noticed effecting Arena grand champions (instead of lasting 1-2 fights, strong grand champions can build up impressive streaks and the hall of fame will be stacked with interesting characters)

**BRAWL PIT EXPANDED**

The meat of the update, the brawl pit has been expanded, who cares you might
ask, well I like there to be heaps of depth and replayability in every little area in the
game, so now the insignificant little brawl pit in the Near North, one of the earliest
locations you discover in the north, has been vastly improved. There are patrons you
can speak to, an owner you can speak to, new fighter types, a whole new system
of champions in the pit that can win 5 different trophies, a new system of luck
and critical hits making the system more dynamic, reworked system for fighters with
spiked knuckles, named fighters and a few other things. With these changes the
brawl pit is now a much bigger place with more to do in it! Hopefully more developments
like this will happen to other insignificant locations!

* Added new brawl pit patron dialogue system (21 in total)
* Added ability to speak to the owner of the brawl pit
* Added missing dialogue for not having enough gold to buy the pit
* Added 7 new brawler unit types
* Added 2 new brawler prefixes (infamous and famous)
* Fixed brawl pit bug that has been rigging fights in the favour of the 1st fighter
* Made spike knuckle brawlers do far more damage in the pit
* Added special graphic for spike knuckled brawlers
* Added new move set descriptions for spike knuckle fighters
* Fixed ability to update brawl pit without owning it
* Added colour to brawl pit
* Updated brawl pit fight layout and lines
* Added new factor of luck to the brawl pit
* Added all pit fighters get names
* Added champions of the brawl pit
* Added champion challenge fights to decide new champions
* Added ability to speak to champion of the brawl pit
* Added ability to fire champion of the brawl pit if you own the pit
* Added 5 different winnable trophies to the brawl pit (the iron bowl, the silver cup, the gold cup, the golden fist,the crown of the pit)
* Added ability to view pit champions trophies
* Added special champion fight victory screen
* Added trophy award screen for trophy earned fights
* Added debug mode option to allow 100 extra brawl pit champion fights

**BIG STUFF**

Some decent changes and features here, a new and much more dynamic bard
origin story system as requested by Defender, 3 chances to explore instead of 2
as well as the massive grand champion bug I mentioned earlier being fixed and
a new option to watch fights play by play to make them more interesting, give it a try!

* Added New Bard Origin story system (credit [email protected])
* Now 3 default explore chances per turn instead of 2
* Fixed the age old grand champion bug (you guys probably didn't know about, that made grand champions crappy and changed their battlescore, now you should
find grand champions lasting more than 1-3 turns, you will notice the hall of fame fill with amazing warriors!
* Added ability to watch fights play by play in the arena instead of all at one go (select the option in the main arena menu)

**ARENA**

The arena has had some much needed improvement, there's still much to
improve but now grand champions have a chance and there are a few more
moves and events as well as some tweaks and a new rare unit (Drylands Nomad)
that will only appear if there are enough nomad mercenaries around, if you
kill off the nomads or the demons get them first, you won't see any Nomads
in the arena.

* Added new arrow interfearance event to the arena
* Added new fireball interferance event to the arena
* Added new elite warrior arena fighting arrow snap move
* Added new dynamic fall move for weak warriors in the arena
* Added new rare arena unit (drylands nomad) (default 110 battlescore)
* Reduced grand champion housing bonus
* Fixed broken fight move in arena displaying fighters name twice

**BLACKMARKET**

The blackmarket has been given some extra features thanks mostly to defender from audiogames
now you can outlaw slavery in the slums, to counter this I've added a tribute income gained from
slavery, also new abilities for other blackmarket leaders to act on as well as a fix for the completely
broken blackmarket gang hideouts, now they are destroyable!

* Added ability to outlaw slavery in the blackmarket slums if you rule the blackmarket (credit [email protected])
* Added income from blackmarket slavery (up to 400 gold per season) (you lose this if you outlaw it)
* Added ability for good natured blackmarket leaders to outlaw slavery
* Added ability for bad natured blackmarket leaders to legalise slavery if it is banned
* Fixed debug mode blackmarket gangs menu not displaying information when selected
* Fixed debug mode blackmarket gangs menu not having any dialogue when already done
* Fixed bandit gang hideouts in blackmarket not being destroyable (credit [email protected])

**OTHER**

A few little things, including some extra monster parts, flag parts, new dialogues
some roof parts and a couple of bug fixes.

* Added two new monster parts (1000s more monsters)
* Fixed inability to turn of evil laws if you gained enough public option (Credit [email protected])
* Added 2 new flag parts
* Added 5 new nomad dialogues
* Added 4 new roof parts
* Fixed debug menu skip bug

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2018-02-20 21:13:43

hi wastelander, I think a fun edition to the game would be a sort of naval warfair system. This might come into effect when exploring particularly far away, there might also be some races such as shark men, who are water based and live their entire lives on the sea. To attack those races, you would need to build a naval shipyard, which is able to construct gallions, seedge ships, sloops etc. You'd have to assign and train some soldiers as sailers and ship to ship fighters, and peasants as rowers. Opening up the seas as a stage of play also would have you risk attacks from pirates and privateers from other nations. However, if you were so inclined you could just as well invoke privateer laws yourself and plunder trade ships and missions from other kingdoms for your own reserves. Another possibility here is the option of owning and upgrading a port. This would let seafairing traders dock at your shores and trade, bring adventurer parties, or harber enemy spies. My second idea would be a system of religion. When the game first starts a random selection of gods and higher powers would be generated. You could choose to follow one of these teachings. If you build a temple you would be able to make sacrifices (human ones if your god is an evil god), go on crusades, or embark on pilgramages to atain blessings for the future. However, following the teachings of a god would also require you to run your kingdom in a certain doctrin. Not following it would cause bad things to happen. But you could also choose not to follow any power, and simply stay out of the entire matter of religion. You'd miss out on bonuses but also wouldn't have to constrain yourself to a speciffic following.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-02-21 01:17:21

Awesome update!
Downloading it right away.

2018-02-21 10:20:10

@Connor, I actually had plans very early on for this and at one point even had a buyable location called port that increased your trade revenue, but I scrapped it for the time being, the plans in future to add naval related stuff is a must I agree! I'll keep a note of your suggestions

@Defender, Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for all the great suggestions and bug finds that got included, they've much improved things!

2018-02-26 01:44:10 (edited by Wastelander 2018-02-26 11:25:46)

This is a quick update with a few additions to various places but no particular theme
I hope you guys enjoy it!

**NEW RACE**

They're a funny looking one, a race of reptile like creatures (as if we don't have enough races)
there are 126 million different faces you can expect to see too!

* Added Skeerok race to the game
* Added Skeerok face generator (126'360'000)

**DETYAN EDITIONS**

Detyan or Dtyn8 is a member of our reddit community and has shown an amazing ability
for creative writing, so I've tried my best to put this in the game, we have one of his books
in the library as well as some references to a creature he created which made me laugh,
hopefully we've got more to come from him

* Added Northern Nursery Rhymes for children book to the library (credit Detyan)
* Added Detyan the master of Zoological exploration to the hall of zoology in the blackmarket
* Added Ooooh Snake Sanctuary to Songwood in the West (credit Detyan)
* Added Ooooh Snake Animation (credit Detyan)
* Added Sanctuary Master with 4 sets of dialogue
* Added book 'On Ooooh snakes' to the sanctuary

**BRAWL PIT EXPANSION 2**

Last update lots was added to the brawl pit, but my plans were not entirely completed
and so in this update I've continued development on it, there are now more prefixes
that fighters can get as well as some tweaks and a much needed system in place to stop
unbeatable champions forming in the pit.

* Added Lucky prefix to the brawl pit (automatically gives fighter highest possible luck meaning more critical hits)
* Added Unlucky prefix to the brawl pit (automatically gives fighter lowest possible luck meaning less critical hits)
* Added Steelskin prefix to the brawl pit (Adds 30% to the fighters health)
* Added Thickskin prefix to the brawl pit (Adds 10% to the fighters health)
* Added Frail prefix to the brawl pit (halves the fighters HP)
* Added Champion of the brawl pit wears the crown of the brawl pit if he wins it (100 wins+)
* Fixed crown of the brawl pit missing line
* Added 3 new brawl pit lines
* Added event that if pit champion loses 50% or more Hp during a fight (1 in 4 chance of a 5% permanent health drop)

**EXTRAS**

I love it when games have lots of extras and bits to explore, so I've added a bunch of
extra content to the warsim folder itself

* Added Warsim Gifs to extras folder
* Added Warsim Misc art to extras folder
* Added warsim face pics to extras folder
* Added Ascii Art text files to extras folder

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

A bunch of random stuff, two bug fixes, a new location in the blackmarket, a few trillion new human faces and some tweaks to slavery with independent kingdoms

* Added 244'707'552'625'540 new human faces
* Added independent kingdoms with slavers get more income
* Added Book rental stall to the blackmarket (3 rentable books + special dialogue)
* Fixed can't afford blessing blackmarket stall incorrect message
* Fixed goblin dancer yellow skin bug

2018-02-26 05:00:11 (edited by defender 2018-02-26 05:14:39)

Cool little update!
I'm really going to enjoy this new fighting pit and book. :-)

I would like to see improvements to the cup game in the marsh and get some of the various (smaller) areas and minigames that are mentioned while exploring but not actually in yet in the next update.
I am hoping that's not too much to deal with do to your work starting...
If the work obligation wasn't going to be an issue for several months at least, then I'd really be pushing for the bigger things, like all the opened doors  mentioned in posts 612-803-960-363, the population building mentioned in 82 as it really is simplistic right now, and the major event from 767 again.
But the Nomads, southern sea folk, and Vampires did provide a much needed breath of life to the game, so I don't want to be greedy.
Starting at least the framework on the women or second major event could maybe be managed with your new schedule, but that's up to you.
These big gaps just make the game feel lopsided is all, even if it is still quite enjoyable!

Also...
OOOOH!

2018-02-26 11:36:36

@Defender, Glad you like it!

My next focus which should be in either 0.7.0.8 or 0.7.0.9 will be an update named 'The North Returned'

This update will focus on basically completing the north as much as possible and leaving nothing unfinished as part of my plan to make the game solid without any missing features before I go adding too many new ones, the plans include:

* Fort Aslona (the fort you can build from ruins) acting just like Gorthmek
* Fort Northwatch acting just like Gorthmek
* Musicians guild in guildrow in the blackmarket (currently closed)
* Guild of Mages in guildrow in the blackmarket (currently closed)
* Completed History Guild lessons, teachers and libraries
* Skullfields
* Snowfolk Village
* Icewatch Keep
* Forest of Bones
* Ice Lords Tower
* The End

This update could take a little while, as while I do try and code every day I am currently trying to replace my work income and dealing with some problems, so I sell things online, manage a small cryptocurrency portfolio and am trying to start a new ecommerce website, so my time is pretty spread out and it can be a stress trying to do everything at once! Don't worry though I'm not going to be done with warsim for a long time smile

2018-02-26 13:45:47

cool update. I like the additions. Great Job.

2018-02-27 11:29:18

@Niklas, glad you like it Nik!

2018-03-03 20:19:20

This update hasn't changed anything major, but where I live there has been lots of snow and I've had a whole lot
of time to work on the game in between hurling snowballs at passing wanderers, so here we have it!

**SMALLHAVEN REBORN**

The main part of the update, the village of smallhaven was looking a bit
hollow, so now it has been reborn with lots of new content, their elder has
a face, theres a busy and interesting tavern and lots of other things you can
do there, part of the many soon to come updates to small locations that are
in need of a little bit of love, Enjoy!

* Added new village dialogue system
* Added ability to speak to random villager in smallhaven (10 dialogues)
* Added face to the smallhaven elder
* Added Ox Head tavern to smallhaven
* Added secret exhibit to the tavern in smallhaven
* Added rock paper scissors game to tavern in smallhaven
* Added trade post to smallhaven
* Fixed smallhaven text colour being yellow instead of white
* Fixed smallhaven champion challenge repeat fight bug

**NEW RACES**

Just a bunch of new creature races that can be generated in your world
my favorite are Molemen, a great unintentional simpsons reference, even
better is that there's a chance the game could spawn yellow molemen... that
would be a laugh.

* Added New race 'Moleratmen'
* Added New race 'Were-Molerats'
* Added New race 'Evolved Molerats'
* Added New race 'Molerat Folk'
* Added New race 'Half-Molerats'
* Added New race 'Ottermen'
* Added New race 'Were-Otters'
* Added New race 'Evolved Otters'
* Added New race 'Otter Folk'
* Added New race 'Half-Otters'
* Added New race 'Mothmen'
* Added New race 'Were-Moths'
* Added New race 'Evolved Moths'
* Added New race 'Moth Folk'
* Added New race 'Half-Moths'
* Added New race 'Molemen'
* Added New race 'Were-Moles'
* Added New race 'Evolved Moles'
* Added New race 'Mole Folk'
* Added New race 'Half-Moles'

**NEW UNIT TYPES**

It's really hard thinking of new unit types now that there
are so many, even using synonym dictionaries and searching
for all different fighter types, can't beat a good old Pugilist though

* Added new unit type 'Boarman'
* Added new unit type 'Warchief'
* Added new unit type 'Greenhorn'
* Added new unit type 'Neophyte'
* Added new unit type 'Fledgling'
* Added new unit type 'Heavy'
* Added new unit type 'Pugilist'
* Added new unit type 'Bloodmaker'

**NEW ANIMALS**

David Attenborough would be proud!

* Added New creature 'Otter' to the game
* Added New creature 'Molerat' to the game
* Added New creature 'Moth' to the game
* Added New creature 'Mole' to the game

**NEW DIALOGUES**

I know this isn't the hugest of things to be added but having lots
of different stuff to read keeps the game fresh, can't beat content!

* Added 2 new baiaa dialogues
* Added 4 new tavern dialogues
* Added 3 new sewer dialogues
* Added 8 brawl pit dialogues
* Added 3 nomad dialogues

**BUG FIXES**

We all hate bugs, these ones are dead now! hooray!

* Fixed red fist and lines appearing between turns issue
* Fixed friends are fickle advice spelling error
* Fixed rebel territory attack graphic roof appearing two spaces early
* Fixed 3 explore changes per turn being prevented
* Fixed ban local militia tagline being too long
* Fixed holy order of roses text being yellow
* Fixed several broken spaced roof tiles
* Fixed duplicate Psion Name
* Fixed green skin mining copany rep face visible when ascii disabled

**NEW NAMES**

We have new name suffixes and prefixes as well as some new
faction names and a new faction naming system.

* Added New type of naming system (ie Kingdom of Gorold, Clanlands of Gokkog)
* Added 13 new bandit name parts (Adds 100s of new names)
* Added Underland kingdom type (underlords and lords)
* Added Overland kingdom type (overlords and lords)
* Added new name suffix 'the Desperate' (+14 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Undecided' (+1 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Iron Bear' (+39 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Great Bear' (+53 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'Great Bear' (+54 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Pig-Farmer' (+15 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Horse Trainer' (+21 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Fletcher' (+17 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Woodsman' (+20 battlescore)
* Added new name suffix 'the Pig-Breeder' (+10 battlescore)
* Added 6 protofolk names
* Added 4 witches names
* Added 69 New Psion Names (was 15 now 84)
* Added 15 godlings names
* Added 4 abominations names

**EVERYTHING ELSE**

A bunch of random stuff that didn't really fit into any of the above
categories!

* Added 3 new advices to gargallock and throne room advisors
* Added 'Northman' unit to the brawl pit (64 battlescore)
* Added 'Wildman' unit to the brawl put (66 battlescore)
* Added 11 new roof tiles
* Added 100+ new flags
* Added 3 new tilesets for buildings
* Added 11 new crowns
* Added 10 new weapon parts to the weapon generator
* Added new gibbering monk reaction

2018-03-04 01:58:38

Nice one, it may be small but it's solid, and your right about new content always being good.

2018-03-04 07:56:39

Glad you like it! and yeah I think while they may seem little, a constant flow of new content keeps the game's world growing at a good pace smile

2018-03-06 01:41:39

Thanks as always for the updates! I haven't played this in a while, I think now may be the time to do so.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-03-06 13:55:28

No worries, hope you enjoy it smile

2018-03-06 23:53:04 (edited by arnold18 2018-03-06 23:54:09)

Hello all. As i recently got into warsim again,  i reproduced the strangest bug on this earth. For some reason, if you destroy all demons near the demon gate and try to go in, you get a strange fight with -67000 or so nomads, oh and their battle score is in the negative too. Here's the save file, just try to enter the demon gate. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnxdfw7ijfpj4 … e.txt?dl=1
I love the game though smile
Edit: one thousand posts, yay!

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.