2018-03-02 01:00:44

Dear all,
Just wanted some advice. So, I know that my computer is pretty much not workable from a software front, as I installed Windows 10 beta software through the Windows Insider program and it ended up crashing my machine. I am looking for places to get a Windows disk, so that I can reinstall Windows, but since I already had Windows 10 from the deal Microsoft was offering to blind people until the beginning of the year, how much, if anything, would I have to pay to get a new copy of Windows 10?  Would I even need a new copy of Windows?

Thanks,
Steven

2018-03-02 01:15:00

As far as I know, if the Windows 10 install got far enough to register your computer's hardware fingerprint with Microsoft, then as long as you reinstall on the same hardware, you already have a license to use Windows 10, so no cost involved. However, if the install did not complete, you'll need to pay for a Windows 10 license.

2018-03-02 04:11:29

Load Windows 10 on a usb
Microsoft give you all the tools to do this

Anyone can download Windows 10 for free as Microsoft allow you to use a inactivated version of Windows 10

Then go on eBay or Amazon & by a key from a key seller for under £5/$10
These sellers by old office desktops & laptops & try sell everything they can
Which enclueds win keys

2018-03-02 19:03:44 (edited by afrim 2018-03-04 14:45:04)

Can't you reset your present machine? That might sort out your problems.

2018-03-03 00:14:39

Yes, you can. @3, the unactivated (retail demo) version of windows only works for 30 days. And it's also incredibly annoying. I also wouldn't buy it from eBay -- just buy it from Microsoft. No real point of buying it from other recellers when you can get it from the original creator of the software. I mean, OK, it might be cheaper but there'll probably some kind of catch to it that makes the price just as expensive as it would if you bought it from someone else.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-03 00:38:45

To be honest if you have the same hardware, just reset the pc or download the media creation tool and reinstall it that way.
Exactly what did it do, if you are an insider you should post feedback.
A crash like this is a show stopper the next addition of windows is due out soon if you crash then maybe they fix it.
Its probably a bit to late for final fixes as such but if its not fixed immediately there will be updates there are always updates.

2018-03-04 23:44:43

and if your windows doesn't reactivate, revert to windows 7/8, whatever you had. then run the media creation tool, and upgrade. and yes, it'll let you upgrade if you use the creation tool, as long as your windows 8/7 is activated. I did this back about 3 weeks ago on my 8.1, though I ended up reverting. still, it activated me with a digital license thingy.