2018-03-02 01:31:29

so i've been looking towards recording let's plays of audio games, with commentary cause that usually makes it better. Anyway i'm currently using audacity and i'm not  sure how to make it record my voice and my computer sounds, witch of course include my NVDA and my game sounds. i was recommended virtual recorder but from what i can tell its only for android phones. i am using a windows 10 del laptop and would like help ASAP.
well i guess its not that urgent but i still would like help thank you all and have a foxing graite day!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-03-02 02:07:22

Virtual recorder is a program developed by a member of the blind community, so there are several mainstream apps out their that will come up when looking for it instead.
http://***/software/virtual-recorder-13
Virtual audio cable may be useful for your situation as well, depending on how complicated your setup is, though a hardware mixer is always preferred over a software solution.
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

2018-03-02 03:19:25

I forget how, but you can have Audacity listen to your soundcard instead of your microphone. I'm not sure what versions of Windows this works on, but for 8.1, you can go into recording devices (open the context menu for the volume control in the system tray, and press r), select your microphone, and go into properties (alt+p, I think?). You need to find the "listen to this device" checkbox (I think it's on the second tab) and check it. If done correctly, you should hear your voice through your speakers, which means that, if Audacity is recording your speakers, it will now hear the microphone as well.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-02 03:36:31

Oh didn't know you could do both at the same time, cool, I've heard that VR has some latency between the two streams for some people, so maybe this could work better.

2018-03-02 03:51:40 (edited by SirBadger 2018-03-02 03:54:51)

sound tap is a good option. you can have it record from mike and record from sound card as well. just make sure you have anything else that will play sounds turned off; Skype, twitter clients etc and works a treet.

but here's a download link to a copy of virtual recorder I just found. don't know how up to date it is but it's free and should work. I've never really played with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pchsajxl87krm2v/vr.zip?dl=0

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-03-02 03:52:15

Hey pal
You need to enable stereo mix on
In your recording settings on Windows

What stereo mix does is allow you to record every sound you make on your computer
Remember to turn your microphone feedback/monitoring so you can hear yourself
Through your headphones

2018-03-02 04:49:39

Yeah activate sereo mix on your computer and it will record straight form audacity.  Just go into your recording preference and activate it, not sure the exact steps but you can google it and see hwo it's done.

2018-03-02 06:28:59

not every computer has stereo mix though, and I'm not only talking about disabled, also some cause tremendous problems when you enable it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-02 12:40:07

I couldn't even get the sodding usb stand mike I bought to work with windows 10, even for the default recorder or cortana, let alone any game recording.

I should probably pull the mike out of a cupboard  give it another try (though all my efforts faield), but I'll say I was truly disappointed with this since I was hoping to have voice control on my computer and look into game recording.

so, thus far I'm back to the old standbye, namely my by now fourteen year old Rowland r09 voice recorder with it's sterrio mikes.
The only downer is of course that sterrio mikes mean I can only play games that it's possible to play with speakers, another reason I've never done too many podcasts, still it's something to look into for later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-02 14:25:00

Go into recording preferences in audacity.
Set input recording to speakers and host to windows wasapi
Now make sure that listen to this device in your microphone properties is checked.
Now you’ll be able to record your computer sounds and voice

Pics or it didn’t happen

2018-03-02 15:20:14

First, I recommend you use Wasapi whenever possible, because it offers loopback (I'll explain this in a bit). Wasapi has been around since Vista, so this should be available to pretty much any computer these days unless you're still using XP. Not sure how Audacity handles Wasapi, but in Gold Wave, if you set your system to wasapi/core audio and check recording devices, you will see things like "loopback speakers - (audio device name)". This means that anything that you hear over that audio device will be recorded. It's a lot like stereo mix, but even if you have stereo mix and it works well, I still recommend Loopback because stereo mix tends to add noise, distortion or worse from the sound card's internal circuitry. This is best illustrated on my laptop which does have stereo mix (it's called rec. playback), but it's very quiet and adjusting the volume only affects the left channel. It is also very hissy. Loopback is different because it completely bypasses the sound card's hardware. It's a digital capture. What you hear is exactly what you get.

The only thing Loopback won't be able to capture is the stuff you get on some sound cards that have hardware or 0-latency monitoring. Most Realtechs in desktop machines from my experience allow you to adjust monitor levels for microphone, line-in etc. in addition to changing speaker volume. Since these are hardware features, stereo mix can pick them up but Loopback cannot. In order to hear them over Loopback you have to use software to send the audio to the sound card, such as Virtual Audio Cable or Windows listen feature which Cae_Jones described:

CAE_Jones wrote:

Go into recording devices (open the context menu for the volume control in the system tray, and press r), select your microphone, and go into properties (alt+p, I think?). You need to find the "listen to this device" checkbox (I think it's on the second tab) and check it. If done correctly, you should hear your voice through your speakers.

The only problem with transferring sound via software is lag. Your microphone audio will be delayed slightly through your headphones and you may find this distracting. If you don't have good headphones or microphone setup, you may hear some echoing or bleed-through caused by the delay. Your microphone will also be slightly behind the game audio, though I doubt it will be enough to really worry about. It works for some people who just want to record, but if you're a perfectionist like me, you'll want to do it differently.

What I do when I record my playthroughs is to record both parts separately. I talk over the game like I normally would, but I record loopback for the game, and record my microphone in a separate file. This way I have more control in postproduction. I generally leave the Loopback recording as is with no processing, but will process my microphone by removing some noise, applying eq and compression, and doing other things that I think make it sound better. Then I mix them together and adjust the balance between the two. Unfortunately I sometimes run into issues with Loopback and the microphone going out of sync so I have to re-sync them every so often, and that is a royal pain. But that's how I do it. I don't monitor my mic at all while recording, so I have to test things before I start to make sure they sound good, and hope nothing stupid happens. I wish I could monitor, but that would be picked up over Loopback, and I want to keep the game and microphone separate until postproduction is done.

I wonder if there's a program that could record audio from a specific application only? Hypothetically it's possible, since the Windows volume mixer allows adjusting the volume of individual applications, and there is software that can route an application's audio to a different device.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-03-03 00:11:35

ok holy wow musicalman that was hard to understand so if you ever have the time i would apriciate if you could skype and help me with that, or any of you for that matter. hopefully i mentioned that i'm using a del laptop in case that afects anything.
thanks for the 11 posts in a day! thanks for the help and can't wait to hopefully get more help from you guys!
have a good day!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-03-03 13:47:12

You can Skype me if you want. It's in my profile.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.