2018-03-02 01:25:02

Hello.
Can you please tell me how to give people food in castaways?
Thank you.

2018-03-02 02:03:30

you need to build a tavern, asign a cook and wait.
i'm pretty sure that's all

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-03-02 11:16:41

Yes, as Fox said you need a tavern and a cook, but also note you need peasants to carry food from the storehouse to the tavern as well, or otherwise the cook will just sit there and do no cooking and your people will starve big_smile.

Actually peasants are the most important job in the game since without them to cart things from one place to another nothing gets done, I usually reckon on having half of my population as peasants most of the time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-02 18:49:49

or, you can just set them as builders, while there's no building project going on they'll just act as peasants. That's usually what I do.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-03-02 21:01:51

@Conor, I personally tend to only set everyone as builders when I actually need something building and then go back to having peasants, since that way I get something built as quick as possible.

Indeed, in general the best strategy for  Castaways I've found is to have one or two perminant jobs such as cook, but then chop and change as needed, e.g there is no point having a doctor unless people are injured since the doctor's secondary job of tailor isn't that useful, also to make sure to get to know what people's secondary jobs are since often you can do without a full time job if you've got people doing jobs part time, for example I don't tend to bother with a full time metallurgist once I've got a smith since the smith can be busy smelting when they're not smithing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-02 22:22:49

I built a tavern, but my people still die of hunger.

2018-03-02 23:15:55

You don't just need to build a tavern, you also need to assign one of your people to be a cook, to prepare meals and more of your people to be peasants to take food to the tavern.

That should stop your people from starving for long enough for you to start getting food production up and running.

2018-03-02 23:42:27

Should I assign a job to the peasants or do they automatically do it?

2018-03-02 23:48:54

"peasant" is actually a job in it's own right and probably the most important one in the game, since only peasants will carry food or building materials from place to place. Having your cook stand around in the tavern while all the supplies sit out on a beach will just be an answer to have your people starve.

Also be aware that at the start of the game the amount of food you have available is limited since your just living on the supplies from the ship, so the first thing you should do after building a tavern and assigning a cook is to build a storehouse and assign a hunter and/or fisherman, then build a vegetable farm and assign a farmer.

Your people will be okay living on meat and veg for a while until you get the wherewithal to start producing bread and eventually wine as well.

Hth.

Also remember to check the castaways folder for some handy documentation, including a list of all jobs and what they do (some of which was written by muggins).

Btw wow, this is making me want to play castaways again I really loved that game.