2018-02-04 21:59:35

Hi all. I was wondering, is there any way in which a blind can handle CSS withouth sighted help?
How can you see if the page result is like you expect it to be when you code the CSS part.
Will something like bootstrap work for this?
Sorry for the idiot question, but I'm really curious about this.
smile

Paul

2018-02-05 04:00:24

what is a blind, or blinds, you mean blind person? or blind people?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-05 04:20:34

Jaws and NVDA have keystrokes (jaws/nvda + f, and there are others) for reading format information. This does help with CSS if you've gotten something wrong and it resorts to the default, but if there's a case where the error isn't ignored but doesn't display right either, they'd just read the mistaken version and you'd still be lost.
There have also been issues with certain screen reader / browser combinations not reading format information correctly, but I don't know the specifics, or if all of those have been solved, or what.
NVDA doesn't do screen review well with Firefox, but some layout information might be easier to follow by using a screen review or Jaws cursor type method. Maybe even use a touch screen, if possible, but since most elements are very small, that might be more trouble than it's worth.
Hopefully this helped in some way. If you're using Jaws, there are more advanced ways to get style information, but I don't remember them off hand.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-05 07:36:16

@post2: I was meaning blinds,  I mistaked typing
@post3: yes, it helped, I use nvda though. Well lets see what I can get

Paul

2018-02-05 18:58:46

blinds as in window treatments?

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-05 20:04:25

I ment, if you're coding, say, a website. How would you know if the code in the CSS is like you expect it to be withouth a sighted help?
Tell me if I'm explaining badly smile

Paul

2018-02-05 22:48:36

no its not that, but, blinds are window treatments, like horizontal or vertical vinyl slats that you operate with a string or strings that cover the window, and some of which have a device that hangs down from the top that you can turn to allow more or less light through. Good for keeping sun out of your house on a hot day.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-05 22:58:35

Hi
@ironcross32 stop that. We get the point grammar police.
@pauliyobo and now to answer your question:
I've gotten som good results with bootstraps grid system.
So fx like:
<div class="container">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
</div>
</div>
Would create 3 boxes with the same width on the screen.
Disclaimer: I'm typing this on the top of my head, from my phone.
Hope it helps.

- NicklasMCHD

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-02-10 12:24:03

@ironcross32
big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile
lol I can't stop laughing man!

2018-02-28 12:32:03

(I think the official slang term is blindies).
I have been searching this problem for a while, and have come to the realization that just as a sighted developer can't build a good interface for a screen reader without testing it with a screen reader, a blind programmer can't develop custom CSS widgets.
Bootstrap is perfect for blind people, so is using widgets from a toolkit like AccDC.
The developer of AccDC is blind and he partnered with a sighted graphics designer to build the CSS for the widgets in the technical style guide.
I have tried making nice interfaces using CSS, but it doesn't work very well. We just don't have the technology yet to allow us to position and understand color shading without vision. I am working on this problem in my masters degree, so hopefully soon we will have a solution!
For now, using CSS from a sighted person is the best method.

2018-02-28 17:22:09 (edited by cartertemm 2018-02-28 17:22:51)

I'm pretty sure the term blinds is slang in non-english speaking countries, sort of like our blindies. this purely based off the consistency in which it's used around this forum. If someone could confirm or deny that it'd be nice

Also Nicklas, I have trouble writing code on my phone as it is, so the fact your doing it on the top of your head? Such amazingly aw-inspiring acrobatics. Ok sorry.

I think post 10 pretty much nailed it!